New guy scratch building MS spitfire

Matt Gregg

Hi everyone. I'm a new guy here. In general I'm a model maker not flyer. I can just about fly quads (with auto level off) and can hover a heli tail in. I just love building things, so I decided to repurpose some quadcopter parts and build a MS spitfire. Its has been a very enjoyable build, not finished yet I want to add more details like panel lines and weathering. Usual scale model type stuff. This is all paint, no stickers! Oh yea I've never flown a fixed wing.. it's the building that I enjoy.
16465671407384867949275883474096.jpg

The Fopster

Master member
Hi everyone. I'm a new guy here. In general I'm a model maker not flyer. I can just about fly quads (with auto level off) and can hover a heli tail in. I just love building things, so I decided to repurpose some quadcopter parts and build a MS spitfire. Its has been a very enjoyable build, not finished yet I want to add more details like panel lines and weathering. Usual scale model type stuff. This is all paint, no stickers! Oh yea I've never flown a fixed wing.. it's the building that I enjoy. View attachment 220913
That’s a fantastic looking build. Congratulations! Hope you have success flying it.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Hi everyone. I'm a new guy here. In general I'm a model maker not flyer. I can just about fly quads (with auto level off) and can hover a heli tail in. I just love building things, so I decided to repurpose some quadcopter parts and build a MS spitfire. Its has been a very enjoyable build, not finished yet I want to add more details like panel lines and weathering. Usual scale model type stuff. This is all paint, no stickers! Oh yea I've never flown a fixed wing.. it's the building that I enjoy. View attachment 220913
Amazing looking, but if you were to successfully fly it, I would recommend getting a gyro like the ft aura 5 lite.

Bo123

Elite member
Really recommend getting a trainer before flying the spit. I heard its really hard to fly, and for someone with no experience, is not the best idea. All that effort you have put into making the plane look nice will probably go down the drain. Flite Test has a lot of really good aircraft to learn on: FT Simple Scout, FT Tutor, and the FT Tenet just to name a few. Really recommend you check those out.

Matt Gregg

Thanks for the responses everyone. I'm glad you like it. I have a FT Tiny trainer to get myself flying fixed wing. I have an electronics engineering background so I've been tinkering with flight controllers and quads for a while. I know my way around Betaflight quite well, but that is very quad centric. Thinking Inav is the way to go for fixed wing. It has cool features like auto launch. I will use tiny trainer as test mule. That's if I can stop myself building, I've been eyeing up the Catalina building thread. Building in foam is so much fun.

Ratcheeroo

Legendary member
Very nice job, awesome paint work!(y)(y)

Aslansmonkey

Beautiful paint job there.

Definitely fly something else first though. The spit us not hard to fly, per se, but is not a beginner plane. Its not as inherently stable as high wing big tail surface designs and can get you into trouble quick if you've not developed the reflexes for it. Very nice to see in flight though.

I love mine, but I only fly it on nice days when I'm feeling extra brave. But then I'm a lazy flyer that tends to more stable birds. I have a low wing stick I fly when I feel like being tricky. The stick is a "mutt" and is exprndable.