New Guy Timber X questions

Headbang

Master member
Well SAFE is what has allowed me to get into the hobby, and I LOVE it. It's let me learn at my own pace and on my own, and I've been really successful with it. I use it for take off and landings and for learning the flight characteristics of new planes. The first plane I bought, the Sport Cub S, I've flown with SAFE off from take off, to loops and rolls, to landings. The UMX Timber, which I bought second, is not getting flown a little more with SAFE off... but the Timber X has only had SAFE flipped off for a couple rolls and loops while I get used to is and get it trimmed out right.

I'm a guy who doesn't want to make time to find an experienced pilot to teach me... or join AMA... or a club. SAFE has given me the opportunity, confidence and experience I needed to get into this hobby... and I'll wean myself off of it as time goes on... or not.

So, those guys who say I'm not really flying... I say "I don't care." I'm having a BLAST... and I'm not crashing planes! :)

I am curious how SAFE made you crash? Was it that you were so used to how planes controlled without it, you got into a situation where you didn't have enough maneuverability to get out of trouble? Safe has SAVED me from more than a few crashes... where I am flying with it off and lose orientation or just make some mistake and I'm about to crash... flipped SAFE on, and BINGO, leveled out... no crash.
Every time I have seen SAFE be the cause has been when it over controlled on it's own. Or as you said it was not correcting fast enough and would not let the pilot have enough authority to correct it either. I have never seen an issue on an Apprentice, issues seem to be more apt to happen on more capable planes.

FDS

Elite member
I guess those large Timber control surfaces can over control when the gyro is flying!