New Guy Timber X questions

Atoms

So I got a Timber X and flew it for the first time yesterday. First off, I am mostly flying in SAFE mode until I get a feel for the plane since it's my first larger model. I've flown a Sport Cub S and UMX Timber for the last month or so.

I got it built and bound to my DX6, and off I went for the maiden! BTW - I'm running 4s, 2200 batteries.

I took off and immediately noticed it was nose heavy... I needed to hold back on the elevator a good deal to keep her level. It wasn't terrible, but in SAFE, I expected it to fly level, or at least be gaining slight altitude at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

CG seems good.... but I noticed the elevator was cocked down when controls were at neutral in SAFE... but not when SAFE was off...

So first thing I tried was re-binding to a new model in the DX6, but same deal...

Any ideas? Thanks!

Atoms

Oh, and I almost forgot the best part of the maiden!!!

2nd battery, flipped her off SAFE and did a REALLY tight loop, and the prop came off!!!

I dead stick landed her perfectly. It was my best landing of the day.

Found the prop and reinstalled... this time I REALLY tightened it down HARD... I thought I had the first time. *shrug*

moret

I also have a timber X and notice that the elevator does pitch down in SAFE while sitting on the ground. First question, is the plane sitting with its tail wheel on the ground. The plane likes to let the tail come up level and then up elevator for take off. I fly off grass and safe off. usually I will hold full up elevator to keep the tail on the ground for steering ( and stop tip overs )until I have a little speed, then let the tail come up and pull back to take off. Same as you would a full size taildragger. You might hold the tail up level and see if the elevator also levels, I don't remember This is the only taildragger I have that does not require right rudder on take off runs.

Second question can you trim your DX6 so the plane flies level? You may need to turn SAFE off to do this. It can be fun trying to fly and keep your eyes on the plane and trim all at the same time. Always fly first.

And I also after about 10 batteries, was taking off and about 20 feet in the air and the prop came off.. A loud pop and the prop and the top of the cowling was gone. I was lucky that the parts fell right on the edge of our runway and not in 3 foot high grass.

I use 2200 4S and have the batteries almost all the way forward

Enjoy your X

Atoms

I also have a timber X and notice that the elevator does pitch down in SAFE while sitting on the ground. First question, is the plane sitting with its tail wheel on the ground. The plane likes to let the tail come up level and then up elevator for take off. I fly off grass and safe off. usually I will hold full up elevator to keep the tail on the ground for steering ( and stop tip overs )until I have a little speed, then let the tail come up and pull back to take off. Same as you would a full size taildragger. You might hold the tail up level and see if the elevator also levels, I don't remember This is the only taildragger I have that does not require right rudder on take off runs.

Second question can you trim your DX6 so the plane flies level? You may need to turn SAFE off to do this. It can be fun trying to fly and keep your eyes on the plane and trim all at the same time. Always fly first.

And I also after about 10 batteries, was taking off and about 20 feet in the air and the prop came off.. A loud pop and the prop and the top of the cowling was gone. I was lucky that the parts fell right on the edge of our runway and not in 3 foot high grass.

I use 2200 4S and have the batteries almost all the way forward

Enjoy your X
Thanks for the response!

I don't think you can trim in SAFE... I mean, I think the trim I'd do with SAFE off wouldn't effect SAFE frlying since the plane just tried to keep level... and that's the issue... in SAFE, hands off the sticks, the plane should fly level and straight... and it doesn't... it loses altitude, pretty quickly. I've had no issue with taking off... it's the level flight in SAFE that's the issue. I'm constantly holding back some on the elevator to keep her flying level, and I shouldn't have to in SAFE.

When the plane is in SAFE, sitting on the ground on level surface, the elevator is slightly cocked downward.... if I flip it off SAFE the elevator evens out. So, trimming would effect non-SAFE flight, I think.

I'm gonna try deleting the model and re-binding to my DX6.

Thanks again!

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
It sounds like the receiver is not installed level in the plane so what it thinks is level, isn't actually level. That's the first thing I'd check. If that seems fine, look for a SAFE re-calibration procedure so it understands what level should be.

Atoms

It sounds like the receiver is not installed level in the plane so what it thinks is level, isn't actually level. That's the first thing I'd check. If that seems fine, look for a SAFE re-calibration procedure so it understands what level should be.

Thanks! The receiver is "level" in the fuselage, although not actually level because the plane sits tilted back because it's a tail dragger.

FDS

Elite member
When you plug a battery in I think it “arms” the gyro, like in the sport Cub. Try lifting the tail wheel to level the fuselage when you insert the battery and it starts up. I always lift the tail on my Cub so the receiver is level when it initialises, not sure if it makes a difference but not had the elevator problem.

Atoms

When you plug a battery in I think it “arms” the gyro, like in the sport Cub. Try lifting the tail wheel to level the fuselage when you insert the battery and it starts up. I always lift the tail on my Cub so the receiver is level when it initialises, not sure if it makes a difference but not had the elevator problem.
I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Reactions: FDS

Atoms

I would love to try a big Timber, they look like a lot of fun to fly.
I absolutely LOVE the UMX Timber and I chose the Timber X because it's got a shorter wingspan and will fit in my car fully assembled... and it's got GREAT reviews and there's plenty of room to grow!

FDS

Elite member
It is a plane that does everything. They are expensive, that’s the only downside.
I have the plans for Air Pirates excellent STOL plane, I really should get one built.

Headbang

Master member
It is a plane that does everything. They are expensive, that’s the only downside.
I have the plans for Air Pirates excellent STOL plane, I really should get one built.
But totally worth it! I flew mine 3 flights before I swapped recievers to a ar6600t (as3x was fighting me, and I wanted telemetry). I used the metal stab spar and push my 2200mAh 4s 50c battery as far back as it will go. I have the flaps set as flapperons. The Timber X is a very fun plane, litterally does it all, so much so it will rip its self apart! I ripped all the control horns out of the wing on a blender. My wing developed a stress crack near the fuse. Control horns I used ca to reinforce. Wing I used packing tape. Only other issue I have is that it is so easy to fly and so light, i let my power flat spins get a little to close to the ground sometimes.
This is not a beginner plane at all! It is extreme as the name implies. For a more forgiving plane one should go with the Turbo Timber if 3D is not the goal.
The safe and as3x was not good on this one. I have lots of other planes with as3x and they are fine, the stock settings on the Timber X need to be dialed back some and heavily adjusted using an as3x programming cable. As far as "safe", for what this plane is, it seems counter productive to have it. Keep meaning to take a magic marker and write "NOT" above the safe sticker!

Atoms

But totally worth it! I flew mine 3 flights before I swapped recievers to a ar6600t (as3x was fighting me, and I wanted telemetry). I used the metal stab spar and push my 2200mAh 4s 50c battery as far back as it will go. I have the flaps set as flapperons. The Timber X is a very fun plane, litterally does it all, so much so it will rip its self apart! I ripped all the control horns out of the wing on a blender. My wing developed a stress crack near the fuse. Control horns I used ca to reinforce. Wing I used packing tape. Only other issue I have is that it is so easy to fly and so light, i let my power flat spins get a little to close to the ground sometimes.
This is not a beginner plane at all! It is extreme as the name implies. For a more forgiving plane one should go with the Turbo Timber if 3D is not the goal.
The safe and as3x was not good on this one. I have lots of other planes with as3x and they are fine, the stock settings on the Timber X need to be dialed back some and heavily adjusted using an as3x programming cable. As far as "safe", for what this plane is, it seems counter productive to have it. Keep meaning to take a magic marker and write "NOT" above the safe sticker!

Well I got the elevator issue temporarily worked out and it flew like a dream... on SAFE... nice and easy, plenty of speed and maneuverability for a newbie like me... I can feel the room to grow... but man, that thing just floats into a light breeze with flaps down...

So 2 issues left to resolve:

I fixed the elevator issue by trimming the elevator 100%... then it flew level at around 50% throttle. Obviously that's not right, so I think I'm going to try to adjust it mechanically so it's spot on at 0% trim.

Next issue: I noticed a couple times on slow passes that the flaps were not evenly down. I had them deployed at 100%, but it looked like one side was all the way down and one was at 50%. On the ground, they worked as expected, over and over.... not sure what that's about.

After running 4 batteries through her, and getting the trim right, I am feeling more confident.

I took off once without SAFE, did some loops and rolls and flipped SAFE back on.

I fly my UMX Timber without SAFE a lot, so I know I'll get there with this plane.

Even with default settings (1flap 1 aileron) this thing has great maneuverability. The roll rate (for a newb like me) was nuts!

Thanks for all the input and answers guys! It's all appreciated! I am learning and loving this flying thing!

Any ideas about the elevator servo adjustment issue, or the flaps issue are also appreciated.

moret

Any ideas about the elevator servo adjustment issue, or the flaps issue are also appreciated.

Take the screws out of your wings so you can get inside. Turn on your transmitter and hook up your battery like you are going to fly, Watch out for the prop or take it off. Then make a note on how your elevator is setting with all your trim. Go to your transmitter and zero your trim then under your wing unscrew the setscrew that holds the elevator pushrod. push the pushrod out to set the elevator and screw down the screw.
1569890061134.png

I have no ideal about the flaps

good luck

Reactions: FDS

moret

A lot of people are dead against SAFE and say you are not really flying. I am not one of them. SAFE lets you get time in the air. It lets you go out to the field and fly without trying to find an instructor. It would be hard to find an instructor that would fly with you in the morning, Then after lunch, then again after supper, going home and charging batteries and coming back. But then I only live a mile from the field. Time in the air counts.

Headbang

Master member
A lot of people are dead against SAFE and say you are not really flying. I am not one of them. SAFE lets you get time in the air. It lets you go out to the field and fly without trying to find an instructor. It would be hard to find an instructor that would fly with you in the morning, Then after lunch, then again after supper, going home and charging batteries and coming back. But then I only live a mile from the field. Time in the air counts.
I have students that get lots of airtime without me due to SAFE. When I got back into flying 3yrs ago with the original timber I was all excited about SAFE, until I turned it on and promptly crashed. My concern with SAFE is I have seen it be cause of crashes several times. But as I said I have students that use it successfully all the time as well.

Atoms

I have students that get lots of airtime without me due to SAFE. When I got back into flying 3yrs ago with the original timber I was all excited about SAFE, until I turned it on and promptly crashed. My concern with SAFE is I have seen it be cause of crashes several times. But as I said I have students that use it successfully all the time as well.

Well SAFE is what has allowed me to get into the hobby, and I LOVE it. It's let me learn at my own pace and on my own, and I've been really successful with it. I use it for take off and landings and for learning the flight characteristics of new planes. The first plane I bought, the Sport Cub S, I've flown with SAFE off from take off, to loops and rolls, to landings. The UMX Timber, which I bought second, is not getting flown a little more with SAFE off... but the Timber X has only had SAFE flipped off for a couple rolls and loops while I get used to is and get it trimmed out right.

I'm a guy who doesn't want to make time to find an experienced pilot to teach me... or join AMA... or a club. SAFE has given me the opportunity, confidence and experience I needed to get into this hobby... and I'll wean myself off of it as time goes on... or not.

So, those guys who say I'm not really flying... I say "I don't care." I'm having a BLAST... and I'm not crashing planes! :)

I am curious how SAFE made you crash? Was it that you were so used to how planes controlled without it, you got into a situation where you didn't have enough maneuverability to get out of trouble? Safe has SAVED me from more than a few crashes... where I am flying with it off and lose orientation or just make some mistake and I'm about to crash... flipped SAFE on, and BINGO, leveled out... no crash.