New guy...transmitter suggestions?

mattadata

Hi….I am in the process of building the FT Simple Cub from scratch, and need some guidance picking transmitter. This is my first time building a plane. Built lots of RC cars/trucks. Many different quadcopters. Learned to fly on 3 channel Hobby Zone Champ….which is now dead. So I am replacing it with FT Simple Cub.

Which transmitter should I get? I don’t want to spend a lot now…I want to make sure I stick with it. I can always pass this first controller down to my son if I need to upgrade in the future. The DXe sounds frustrating at best based on reviews I have read. Any other reasonable priced options out there?

Thanks and looking forward to your input!

FDS

Elite member
There’s a million suggestions and a whole post just on transmitters. I wouldn’t buy theDXE, it’s a pain to adjust with the app in the field and as you have realised not great value for money.
Sticky thread is here.
If you are not planning on more Horizon Hobby BNF planes then you don’t need Spektrum at all. Flysky and Jumper make great mid range TX’s with varying degrees of complexity, Flysky have cheap RX’s too.
Second hand stuff is a good idea, many people have 6 channel sets they outgrow which get sold on.

Bricks

Master member
One of things I like about Spektrum is there customer service is outstanding. I have bought and sold a couple of DX9`s that I had to send in for different problems even thou I did not buy them new and out of warranty all I had to do was pay shipping and never a service fee to repair them. One I had replaced a broken switch on my own after having to send it in for another problem they replaced the switch and returned the one I had installed no charge..

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
One of things I like about Spektrum is there customer service is outstanding. I have bought and sold a couple of DX9`s that I had to send in for different problems even thou I did not buy them new and out of warranty all I had to do was pay shipping and never a service fee to repair them. One I had replaced a broken switch on my own after having to send it in for another problem they replaced the switch and returned the one I had installed no charge..

yup, i sent in 5 diff Spektrum Tx's to Horizon to get serviced, only one of them did they charge me anything for and they paid for 1/2 the shipping. can't beat that with a stick.

me :cool:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
yup, i sent in 5 diff Spektrum Tx's to Horizon to get serviced
I AM NOT busting. I am also extremely new and know nothing.

Just. I'm a Customer Service Manager. If someone returned five of the same thing, because they needed fixing, I would not recommend that product to anyone. I recommend the products that I don't see coming back to Customer Service.

I've got a trans that while not perfect, is getting it done for me. It might be helpful to others looking for a trans if you were to clarify why you had to send five of them back for servicing. ;)

Headbang

Master member
Spectrum has had their issues, but they are amazing at correcting those issues. And every time I have sent one in I got back free recievers and swag for the trouble. They even fixed my switches I broke (dropped my tx) for the cost of shipping 1 way. I just can not say anything bad about spectrum. Even the cost is reasonable, huge feature set for a fraction of the cost of jeti or graupner. Only reason I have a mz32 from graupner is I I like the hall sensors and the feel of it for my giant scale 3d planes.