New Guy Tx Advice for Tricopter

KTMSAM

Hello Everyone,
I've been racing RC cars for many years, but now it's time for me to get more into flight and a tricopter is definitely the path I want to take. The scratch built model that our favorite Swedish man designed is the one I want to build. I plan to mount my gopro to it, and eventually set it up for FPV. My question for you guys is what would be the best amount of channels for my transmitter? I want to ensure that I have the proper amount of channels available along with one or two extra if I'm to add something later. Ideally, I want to buy a nice, rechargeable, multi-model memory transmitter so that I can use it for each aircraft I acquire, but I am unsure the amount of channels used for tricopter flight.

Thank you for your advice, and sorry if this has been covered many times

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
Most everything can be flown with four channels except CP helicopters. You must always have thrust, pitch, roll and yaw. So a four channel will be the minimum for a tricopter. If you are looking for something you can use to add pan and tilt to a camera you obviously need a 6 channel or more. This is where it gets interesting as there are sooooo many options. You need to look at the type of controls that each radio has for those things. I'm a spektrum and futaba guy. I fly spektrum but that may not best serve your needs as their controls are geared more towards regular flight. They don't include the finger sliders (or as Bruce calls them "flappy paddles") until you get to the really pricey DX18. Something like the Turnigy 9X might be more up your alley. I would encourage you to do a lot of research and don't rule anything out right away.

KTMSAM

Thanks AK! That was my best guess, but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't anything strange with the multi-rotor machines that would require more. I think something around 6 channels would be fun so that I have the option to add things and not be held back. I will definitely do some research and find the best one for me.
Thanks again