New Guy

Cypress

Hello everyone. I'm new to the forum, and have a patchy history with RC. I've been obsessed since childhood, but growing up, even simple trainers were pretty expensive so I only ever got 2 planes for Christmas, and they didn't last long. Between 1996 and 2006, I made my own money but not a lot of it, so I was able to buy a couple of trainers in that time, but again nobody to teach me so again they didn't last. Then I got busy with life and kind of forgot about the dream...and in the past couple years I've gotten back into it when I discovered quad-copters.

Now I'm realizing that things have gotten really complicated in a lot of different areas. Back in my day, the transmitter had a crystal and once you set it up you were done. Now there's all this compatibility stuff and I'm terrified to order anything that isn't pre-packaged. Used to be simple analog controls with servos but for quads there's all kinds of programming and setup. I'm realizing I have a lot to learn so here I am about to bother all of you with my complete lack of modern knowledge.

Sorry in advance.

FDS

Elite member
It’s not as hard as it looks. Imagine each manufacturer uses its own set of crystals and some like Jumper can take everyone’s!
Pick a plane you like, the FT kits will all work great with basic 4-6 channel set ups. You don’t need to buy an RTF set up but many people here learned on the Apprentice, a second hand one of those or a second hand Champ would be a good start if building puts you off.
Welcome to the forums, I have not been flying long, I last did RC in 1989 before I came here, everyone has been very helpful.