New Guy

JJAB99

Hi everyone. My name is Joe and I am just starting to get interested in this hobby. I am an old git (52) but want to get started in this hobby by building my first plane before I plant it in the ground! I think it is a great idea to build you own as it is easier to repair or just re-build the whole plane. I do not have any flight gear yet, but my wife is giving me a Transmitter, Receiver and some other bits and pieces to get me started on my Birthday at the end of October.
I just wanted to pop on here and see if there are any suggestions for a first home-built starter plane from the many available on Flight Test??
Many thanks,
Joe

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Welcome! Adding my two cents. Full concurrence on the Tiny Trainer. It's really hard to beat for a plane to learn to fly with!

FDS

Elite member
Mine has survived several huge crashes, it’s just in semi retirement awaiting a new speed wing.
I flew it every week for about 8 months, one of my favourite planes.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
My son and I flew my TT until the glue finally gave up and the wing folded. Many months and many flights/crashes/rebuilds later. It's still repairable, but I've got so many other plane projects that I'm excited about, I just never got around to repairing it.

It was that plane that taught me that I could fly and helped me progress onto those other projects. I wish you luck, @JJAB99! Keep us posted on your progress, so we can help and cheer you on! :)

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor
The tiny trainer should be a great choice! I personally haven’t built or flown one, but I’ve definitely heard a lot of great stuff about it. Make it a 2channel glider first and take it to a hill an chasm it off and control it to the ground. This will help you get a feel for the controls without breaking props an mush less damage to the airframe

Corbarrad

Welcome to the forums, @JJAB99 !

Just keep in mind that the air and ground might not be as welcoming as we are.

As you can see everyone here has their share of crash stories to tell.

Don't let yourself be disheartened if your first few flights end in high speed vertical landings, the feeling when things finally click and you do your first circuit and maybe even land afterwards does not compare to anything I'd be willing to talk about with kids present...

I can only agree that the tiny trainer is an excellent way to start out. make sure you take advantage of the many possible configurations to work your way up to your first powered flight.

I've been thinking, though and someone should maybe take it upon themselves to redesign the fuselage so that it works like the twin sparrow does...

JJAB99

Welcome to the forums, @JJAB99 !

Just keep in mind that the air and ground might not be as welcoming as we are.

As you can see everyone here has their share of crash stories to tell.

Don't let yourself be disheartened if your first few flights end in high speed vertical landings, the feeling when things finally click and you do your first circuit and maybe even land afterwards does not compare to anything I'd be willing to talk about with kids present...

I can only agree that the tiny trainer is an excellent way to start out. make sure you take advantage of the many possible configurations to work your way up to your first powered flight.

I've been thinking, though and someone should maybe take it upon themselves to redesign the fuselage so that it works like the twin sparrow does...
Yes, I have thought about my first few flights and I am ready for lots of repair work and perhaps a few swear words, but I will hang on in there and hopefully I will get the hang of it before I run out of Hot Glue and Foam Board! Many thanks for the advice and I just can't wait until my Birthday comes around and I can actually start my long road to successful flying.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
@JJAB99 - Awesome and Welcome aboard. After you have built all the FT planes you love and then the others, don't forget to look at the community challenges and the mad scratch builders forum thread for more ideas/plans. Also Ask as many questions as you need to. between that and failure it's a great way to learn.

Keep at it, and remember to laugh with the crashes.