New heli and plane pilot here!

LumiTicklepaws

Hello,

My name is Joey and I am new to this hobby. I got into this hobby though my father.
When looking into what I wanted to fly I decided I wanted my own heli and so I bought the Blade 230S V2. I know it probably isn't the best starter heli but I love how it looks and what it can do.
I am also looking into building my own Piper Cub out of foam board :) It's just too hard not to have both a heli and a plane :p

I do however have a question to the heli pilots that might read this. What transmitter should I get if I want to eventually get into the heli stunt flying?

Greetings

Joey 'Lumi'

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Your gonna want a decent mid level radio at minimum for collective pitch helis. Specially if you are going for 3d.

4 channels for control surfaces.
1 for throttle hold.
1 for flight modes
1 for rates.

It will need mixing capabilities beyond most budget gear.

Taranis radios, spectrum, futaba, graupner all have mid rangecradios more then capable.

There is a good resource for setting up helicopters at

Rchelicopterfun.com

They have an ebook series for both flybar and flybarless setups. There us also one specific to swashplate setups that is really well done.

LumiTicklepaws

Your gonna want a decent mid level radio at minimum for collective pitch helis. Specially if you are going for 3d.

4 channels for control surfaces.
1 for throttle hold.
1 for flight modes
1 for rates.

It will need mixing capabilities beyond most budget gear.

Taranis radios, spectrum, futaba, graupner all have mid rangecradios more then capable.

There is a good resource for setting up helicopters at

Rchelicopterfun.com

They have an ebook series for both flybar and flybarless setups. There us also one specific to swashplate setups that is really well done.
Thx for the reply :)

So if I understand it correctly a spektrum DX8 or DX9 would do just fine for my wishes? Currently I am using someone elses DX6i.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Im not a spectrum guy because of all the lost signal issue nightmares I read about them when choosing a radio.

From what I know either of those will work for you. I will say this. I dont care what anyone else says if you go with spectrum DO NOT go with after market receivers like orange or lemon or whatever other cutsie fruitiful names out there.

3d helis are no joke on power and agility not to mention way to expensive to cheap out on the receiver. You need rock solid connection which is why most 3d pilots are using Futaba or other high end radios.

LumiTicklepaws

Im not a spectrum guy because of all the lost signal issue nightmares I read about them when choosing a radio.

From what I know either of those will work for you. I will say this. I dont care what anyone else says if you go with spectrum DO NOT go with after market receivers like orange or lemon or whatever other cutsie fruitiful names out there.

3d helis are no joke on power and agility not to mention way to expensive to cheap out on the receiver. You need rock solid connection which is why most 3d pilots are using Futaba or other high end radios.
I know a bit about the spektrum transmitters but nothing about futaba personally. I currently just own a blade 120s and a blade 230s v2. I just really want to try and buy the right transmitter for me for the comming years.

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I know a bit about the spektrum transmitters but nothing about futaba personally. I currently just own a blade 120s and a blade 230s v2. I just really want to try and buy the right transmitter for me for the comming years.
I’ve used a DX6, 8 and 9 over the last 8 years with zero issues on the transmitter side. The thing that gave Spektrum a reputation for issues was their older protocols, DSM and DSM2. DSMX has been as robust as anyone else’s links in my opinion. I still fly Spektrum in large helis, edfs, and a few custom built airplanes and have never had a signal loss that was due to the radio. I have had signal loss with some off brand orange rxs though, but that’s not the radios fault.