New here and first time kit buyer

yufasa

I have built many foamies but alway cut them out with a blade.
Decided that I will just buy a flerken millenium kit and was surprised to see the foam edges severely retracted under the paper. I assume that is because they were cut with laser and it melted the foam.

For most part it would not matter much but parts with sharp corners this poses a problem see pictures.
I tried to capture the best I can with my camera but it is difficult to get focus on the right parts.

Is this normal?

Attachments

• IMG_0033.jpeg
    IMG_0033.jpeg
    977.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0034.jpeg
    IMG_0034.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Yankee2003

I have built many foamies but alway cut them out with a blade.
Decided that I will just buy a flerken millenium kit and was surprised to see the foam edges severely retracted under the paper. I assume that is because they were cut with laser and it melted the foam.

For most part it would not matter much but parts with sharp corners this poses a problem see pictures.
I tried to capture the best I can with my camera but it is difficult to get focus on the right parts.

Is this normal?

First off….welcome to the forum.
There are many builders that prefer to cut out their own parts from plans for this very reason. I am one of the forum members that would rather buy some speed build kits (SBK) and build up the time and experience building the kits rather than cutting them out. You will develop your own opinion as you build more planes.
My advice….take it or not…would be to keep on, keeping on, and just enjoy building and flying your first SBK. Most of this can be remedied in the final finishing if you choose to take the time. Some builders enjoy building fast, and get the plane in the air. Others build magnificent works of art. You will naturally gravitate to one side or the other.
In the meantime…continue to share your build here with pictures and commentary. We all learn from new members and new ideas.
I look forward to following your Flerken experience.

yufasa

Thank you for responding.
I am not new to building and I am past the rush to get something in the air ASAP so I am looking to take my time with the build.
To be honest I am thinking of just getting some foam board and start from scratch - I have started to measure and draw the design so I can cut my own pieces. This has the plus that I can replace it when I eventually bust it up anyway...