New Here and hoping for some help (with pictures:))

redbaron77

So. I recently got a Hawk 5. It came with a small bipol(sp) antenna that fell off before the first flight! It also came with a pigtail that is supposed to attach but it doesnt. there was a lil bit of sticky goop holding the bipol antenna on. So sadly I have only had one flight with it, as I dont want to power on without an antenna. I do have a solder iron but I am not good with it. I am curious how much work soldering a new vtx is. If anyone has any ideas that dont involve soldering, that would be great. here is a pic of the quad and a close up of the pigtail end and connection. thanks!!

Attachments

• hawk 1.jpg
    hawk 1.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
  • hawk5 2.jpg
    hawk5 2.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0

Seahunter

Really can't make out the required repairs from what I see on the pictures but help with learning soldering is available over on U-tube, search for flite test How To: Basic Soldering Tips and Tricks. Flite test builds a lot of Quads, I hope this helps.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
You should be able to get that connector to mate again. You may have to clean off the goo from the VTx board and antenna. Then carefully align the connectors (I use a magnifying glass) and gently squeeze together with pliers.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
also @PsyBorg here on the forums has done a great youtube video series on quadcopter soldering for noobs - highly recommend - I'd share the link but work firewall won't let me get there :D

redbaron77

Electricsean with plyers huh? Seems like it almost needs that much pressure but im scared to break it. Is that normally how these connections are joined? Niether piece appears to be broken or deformed. There might be a bit of goop on the pigtail connecting side that ill try to get out with a razor blade. It actually seems like it goes together... just doesnt stay together. Thank you for the ideas. Sorry the pics are not as good as i thought. Yes, i just need to get the attenna connected to the vtx. I would like it to be a little more sturdy. Is solder a no no on attennas? Anyway guess i will follow on to youtube. Thanks again.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
If it is completely mated but not clicking together, the outer ring segments of the antennas connector are probably just slightly deformed outward. Try bending them in a small amount.

It is possible to solder directly after removing both connectors, but it's not an easy job. Just getting the connector off the board would be very difficult with a soldering iron. The proper tool to use would be a hot air rework station.

redbaron77

If it is completely mated but not clicking together, the outer ring segments of the antennas connector are probably just slightly deformed outward. Try bending them in a small amount.

It is possible to solder directly after removing both connectors, but it's not an easy job. Just getting the connector off the board would be very difficult with a soldering iron. The proper tool to use would be a hot air rework station.
Thanks. Yea ive seen a couple videos now of soldering it directly and it does look dificult. Ill take another look later. Can someone tell me the name of this connection type. I thought I read that it was an axii connection. Would it be easier to just buy a new vtx? How hard is it to put a new one on? Someone told me that it needed to be a 5 volt to make it easier. I cant seem to find one kn amazon. They all seem to be 7-24 volts

redbaron77

Also... it seems to me that the antenna was never really attached very well and was basically held on with a bunch of goop. What is that stuff?? That is a crappy method IMO.

redbaron77

Here are a few closer pics. Does anyone know whats best to clean that gunk off. Razor? The antenna on the right is rhe one that came installed the one on the left came with it as well. It seems that both dont snap on but they do fit together

Attachments

• 20180908_121221.jpg
    20180908_121221.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20180908_121327.jpg
    20180908_121327.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The connector type is u.fl or ipex depending on the manufacturer, but they should be interchangeable. I like to use dental picks for small pointy jobs like cleaning off that goop. I'm not sure what the goop is, it's fairly common for securing connectors like this on PCB's.

Before buying a new VTx I would talk to the vendor that sold you the kit, they should be able to help you out with a proper replacement.