New here and... nice flying wing?

zetsubou232

Hi, like you can see i'm new to the forums. It isn't the first time i fly planes but i'm asking for advice.
Does anybody know some plans (hot wire) or at least wing profile for making a good slow fpv fliying wing (load: apm, fpv, telemtry, small camera...)?

Thanks, waiting for your response.

earthsciteach

Here is a short database of flying wing airfoils with summaries of the performance of each. https://www.aerodesign.de/english/profile/profile_s.htm

I've hot wired a few wings. I can't point to an individual airfoil, but for any flying wing you want an airfoil with built in reflex and do not want to use a flat bottom airfoil. Don't be afraid to lay out your own wing. CG location is critical for any flying wing. You can use this online cg calculator to easily find the desirable cg location for your layout.
http://fwcg.3dzone.dk/
If you want a wing with varying sweep, use this calculator.
http://rcwingcog.a0001.net/
You can get some good ideas and might even find what you are looking for here.
https://www.rcgroups.com/flying-wings-211/

Hope this helps!

fliteadmin

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Welcome to the Forums Zetsubou232! Glad to have you a part of the community! ;)
Blessings,
Stefan

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Hi, like you can see i'm new to the forums. It isn't the first time i fly planes but i'm asking for advice.
Does anybody know some plans (hot wire) or at least wing profile for making a good slow fpv fliying wing (load: apm, fpv, telemtry, small camera...)?

Thanks, waiting for your response.
Hi Z. It's good to see members hitting the ground running as you are. You will find, if not already, that our forum is a community of people who do care and who connect. If you don't mind, would you introduce yourself. Things like age, location, interests are typical ice breaking details.

Welcome to the forum.
—Jim

zetsubou232

Thanks and "Ice breaking?" XD

Thanks a lot for your fast response.

Actually i'm sixteen and i live in Mallorca, Spain.
I started with the hobby about one year ago with a prebuild quad and after that i jumped to a diy racing drone. Actually i've joined this forum because i'm planing to build my first fully autopilot plane.
My other hobbies are airsoft and diy projects like 3d printing, electronics, pcb making...
I'm thinking about takining the rpa (remotely piloted aircraft) license and work doing that during some summers untill i graduate from college.

Pd: earthsciteach thanks a lot for your info. That was what i was looking for.

zetsubou232

1.PNG

Do you thing this template with this section TL54 could work well?

Thanks

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Mallorca, vaya macho! Nunca estuve ahí pero seguro es un sitio precioso. Parece que no tienes ninguna problema con el inglés pero aún hay bastantes por aquí que también hablan español.

Pretty much anything can work given the right conditions (see bumblebees and F-4's for example). With each design though come pro's and con's which you as the designer/pilot get to decide whether they're acceptable or not.

As a builder and flyer of a couple wings myself I will say I like them and will likely always have one on hand because they are efficient and simple to build. Flying them can be a bit more challenging than longer bodied planes though. Because of this I recommend dialing down your throws to about 75% or more depending on your experience and skill.

Have you flown any fixed wing before?

zetsubou232

Me alegra que haya españoles por aqui XD

No, this will be my first fliying wing.
I've flown other planes but i like wings because they are easy to build and durable so i can spend more time on learning to use apm/pixhawk instead of building and repairing the plane and then i will move to a "normal" plane.

earthsciteach

Flying wings are wonderful things for many reasons! Easy to build, easy to fly (if set up well), tough, cool, fun!

Based on my experiences (and I could be totally wrong about this), the cg location on your wing may require A LOT of additional nose weight to achieve. Try increasing the leading edge sweep angle (leave the trailing edge as is) to see if that moves the cg back. With the blunt nose, you can't push weight as far forward. I have run into this on a couple of my wings. A steeper sweep seems to make balancing the cg easier.

zetsubou232

Ok thanks a lot.
I hope to start the wing in a few days.

Pd: What should i use for painting XPS? Usually i put carbon reinforcements on the planes, should i use them on the wing?

earthsciteach

I would put a spar in a wing of that span or run carbon fiber cap strips along the top and bottom of the wing.

If you are painting directly to the foam make sure the paint you are using is foam safe. Most, but not all, of Testor's spray paint are foam safe. I've found that the metallic Testors paint will eat foam a bit. Not nearly as bad as your typical rattle can paint, though. Apply lightly with multiple coats.

XPS is very prone to getting dings and scratches, so you should consider covering your wing. I like covering my wings with 0.56 oz/yd fiberglass cloth and applying it with Minwax Polycrylic instead of epoxy resin. Polycrylic is easier to work with and MUCH less expensive. If you aren't into doing that, you can can cover the wing with document laminate, which can be bought at office supply stores. I've painted on laminate film with an airbrush but never with a rattle can. You could paint the foam, then cover. A lot of people use colored packing tape to cover wings, too. Lots of options!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Ok thanks a lot.
I hope to start the wing in a few days.

Pd: What should i use for painting XPS? Usually i put carbon reinforcements on the planes, should i use them on the wing?
Test the paint on some spare foam. Spray paints are the most likely to react (melt) the foam. Go light. If you brush it on I would thin it and go light, especially with the first coat. I'm just now starting into airbrushing so I've got nothing to say from experience there though suspect this would be the best option for looks.