"New HK OrangeRx DSM2 transmitter for Under $70"

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
I liked mine for about 90 seconds, until the LCD would cut out. it was relatively easy to program, felt good in my hands, and was a good entry into a programmable radio. But the faulty LCD meant I got to pay shipping when I bought it, deal with the wonderful HK "support", and then pay shipping again to return the defective transmitter.

Once I was credited for only the original purchase price I bought a Turnigy 9X and upgraded it to the ER9X and have been incredibly happy since that time. (The stock programming in the 9X was horrible, but the ER9X upgrade opens up a whole world of function)

If the T6 issues appear to have gone away and people aren't getting faulty displays I'll probably recommend one to my dad, as I cringe at the thought of trying to teach him how to program the ER9X...!

robschonk

Nice review. And I do like the orange case. My new 9XR looks like a Decepticon.

I'm rigging out a 9X and 9XR with Frsky for serious work, but I might get an orange for use with all the orange receivers I have, and for use with my BNF helis.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:

pgerts

Old age member
Mentor
Did they fix the BIG BUG when selecting model?
The model names does not show up in the list - It is not 1990, it is 2010 decennium!

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
I just got one of these with the gyro rx. got it mostly set upa nd so far it seems good. have yet to get the plane into the air to see any major improvment from my HK6S. I do like the wider range of rx options for this guy, though I am kind of wishing I did go for the 9x

OutcastZeroOne

Fly, yes... Land, no
Anyone have a good sugestion for changing either channel 5 or 6 to a potentiometer? I would like to do adjustable flaps on my FT Cruiser. On/Off dosent seem like it would be best for that.

shaun74

Guys its an awesome radio, regardless of the price. ive been flying for 22 years now and have flown with many different radios. I to own a dx 6 and the Orange T-Six for me is a better radio. Has a few more features as well. For one it comes with a backlit lcd screen which makes it really legible outdoors in the glare. It has a roller switch as does the DX6 but they always give trouble eventually as they wear out but the T-Six also has buttons to control your settings and menus. Its a solid good quality radio and besides the obvious 8 channels on the 9x, i prefer it by a long shot. Quality wise it feels as good if not better than my JR 9x which in south africa cost me R9000 which is about $900.

I would really recommend this radio if you are in the market for a 6 channel radio.

JasonEricAnderson

I got my T-Six as my first radio. As a newbie I can really appreciate the nice screen and fairly clear options. I wanted something that would allow me to move up to mixing, V Tails, and multirotors. The only two bad things I can say about it is something pgerts pointed out. the model list just shows Model 1, Model 2... It doesn't show the name until you 'download' (load) the model. The only other thing I've had issues with is trying to get it to work with a sim as I've found little to no info on that.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One thing a friend pointed out about the T-6 vs. Dx6i -- the T6 lacks model match.

This feature prevents you from linking to a receiver unless it's corrisponding model memory is selected. This has it's pluses and minuses.

On the positive, the DX6i will never "reverse" the channels between flights, becasue you just flew with a diffrent model and forgot to swap model memories. It simply won't link until the correct model is picked.

On the negitive, you can't have multiple setups for a single model (Setup A works, but I'm experimenting with setup B to see if it's better), and you *have* to change model memories when switching between models. The friend in question liked that he could fly any of his elevon planes without reloding models, it would select the link by which battery was pluggged in.

. . . now if he plugged in a full house model while his elevons were selected, he was bound for trouble . . .

wga22

buddy box / sim working

I got my T-Six as my first radio. As a newbie I can really appreciate the nice screen and fairly clear options. I wanted something that would allow me to move up to mixing, V Tails, and multirotors. The only two bad things I can say about it is something pgerts pointed out. the model list just shows Model 1, Model 2... It doesn't show the name until you 'download' (load) the model. The only other thing I've had issues with is trying to get it to work with a sim as I've found little to no info on that.

Has anyone gotten the buddy port to work? I have tried using it as trainer with an RTF transmitter (Dynam) with no luck. Both official cord and one built from guide on the HK website.

Josimac

My Dad and I are getting back into the hobby recently. We are overwhelmed with all of the new tech. He has ordered a Hitec Optima 6 sport 2.4Ghz, but I've been looking at the OrangeRx T6. I'd like to buy two and use one to teach Dad to fly (he's the builder...) Or, hook the T6 to the Hitec, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if there's a cable that will do either. Does anyone have any expierence yet with the trainer port yet?