New Hope for surviving the nprm and remote id?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
So.. being bored as I usually am I came across some newer videos from various you tubers on the topic of new news on the NPRM and its finalization this month. Seems there are rumors that Remote id may not be required for flying under 300 ft.. No confirmation on weight limits either as none have been stated.

Bruce has a video up just brutalizing the head of the FAA over an event for Drone week where he may have slipped up and dropped some insider info. Of course if you watch the video the guy just radiates complete and utter cluelessness of a typical politician but worse then that he isn't even half hearted into the topic let alone factual so he may be blowing smoke to the wee ones in the video as Bruce points out.

Time to get our shovels out and dig into this again for factual information that may be in our favor. Still crappy registration and frias and all but not having remote id is a huge win if we get left out of that cluster bomb.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
@LitterBug That is a whole different topic then the possible avoidance of Remote Id confirmation.

I get that the FAA reps interpretation makes it sound like everyone is part 107 but we are not. Again this is a bureaucrat in an office that probably still thinks everyone flys a phantom and is trying to spy on nekkid grannies thru their sliding glass doors.

I can only speak for myself but I fly for fun. Because I have fun I like to share what I do with people on this forum and occasionally use my flight footage (which by the way I record EVERY flight) to use as an example of a setup, or solution to questions asked here. Does that make it advancement of a business? I also do it just so I have proof of what I do incase a Karen thinks she knows more then me or Jonny Law decides to see what I am doing.

Even if I were to do it for money I STILL only fly because I like doing it for fun so that kind of creates a conflict in their definition where they separate the two classifications. If my priority is always to fly for fun before I even leave the house does that over ride the use of my video post flight lumping me into part 107 as he sees it? How would they prove other wise in a court of law going by what that rep said? My intent is ALWAYS to have fun when I fly. Always has been always will be. Other wise I would stop doing it.

What that FAA rep lead that dude to believe is like the anti drone hate the media spews but instead siding with the government to make more people think they have to as a "recreational" pilot still pay the extra fees, the registrations AND private insurances that go with part 107 which in my opinion is the only REAL thing driving this whole Cluster $%^5.

His 5 pound rock example was a joke as a comparison to the example of the kid with the under half a pound toy quad. They are regulating toy / hobby level aircraft only to make money be it from commercialization of the air space we normally use or to generate revenue thru oversite and regulation and more likely the manufacturing of the parts or craft we use because it has gotten so big so fast just like they do anything else that becomes popular. Other wise if it was purely safety then they would just prohibit RC flight for non commercial reasons. They want a chunk of the money the hobby generates more then just sales taxes they take now.

No matter how this falls its going to come around and bite them in the rear because it is so biased and corrupt. I LOVE when they stress that what we fly are real aircraft. THAT is their shovel digging their own grave.

Guess we still have to wait to see what happens in the final writing of the laws.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Yeah, I find it to be a very pathetic showing by the FAA. If this guy truly is the head of the FAA, we should all be very worried about his complete lack of comprehension of why he was even on that ZOOM chat. SMH

Tench745

Master member
well, and then there is this....

In his example of the kid flying the cheap drone the FAA guy says something along the lines of, imagine if that had been a 5 or 10 pound drone. I'm a little confused about what inexperienced individual is flying around 5 and 10 pound drones unsupervised? I just looked up the Phantom 4 and it only weighs 3 pounds. An Autel X-star is only 3.5 and it's the beefiest consumer drone I'm aware of.

He also says, "We don't want to over-regulate the hobby so we leave it kind-of vague." Leaving a grey area is not how you prevent government overreach.
"We're also here to keep you safe and legal." Safe? Sure I could buy that. Legal? Funny, it wasn't illegal untill the FAA started making laws to limit what a hobbyist can do.
It's interesting to me that the stance the "FAA outreach" effort is to educate drone pilots so they can defend themselves when hassled, and not an effort to reduce the negative reputation drones carry with the general public...
Sigh...
Okay, that's all the negativity I'm allowing myself for now. Rant off.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
In his example of the kid flying the cheap drone the FAA guy says something along the lines of, imagine if that had been a 5 or 10 pound drone. I'm a little confused about what inexperienced individual is flying around 5 and 10 pound drones unsupervised? I just looked up the Phantom 4 and it only weighs 3 pounds. An Autel X-star is only 3.5 and it's the beefiest consumer drone I'm aware of.

He also says, "We don't want to over-regulate the hobby so we leave it kind-of vague." Leaving a grey area is not how you prevent government overreach.
"We're also here to keep you safe and legal." Safe? Sure I could buy that. Legal? Funny, it wasn't illegal untill the FAA started making laws to limit what a hobbyist can do.
It's interesting to me that the stance the "FAA outreach" effort is to educate drone pilots so they can defend themselves when hassled, and not an effort to reduce the negative reputation drones carry with the general public...
Sigh...
Okay, that's all the negativity I'm allowing myself for now. Rant off.

Yeah its hard not to be triggered seeing stuff like that.. I had hoped for more positive things from the original part of this thread in hopes of people finding more solid proof for no remote ID under 300 ft.. But Im just as happy giving people a place to let off steam in light of the finalization of the new rules and laws by months end.

Tench745

Master member
Yeah its hard not to be triggered seeing stuff like that.. I had hoped for more positive things from the original part of this thread in hopes of people finding more solid proof for no remote ID under 300 ft.. But Im just as happy giving people a place to let off steam in light of the finalization of the new rules and laws by months end.

Yeah, I'm watching through Bruce's video again right now. I'm definitely in favor of lesser limitations for us hobby pilots. It's hard to get too excited until we see some official legislation come out.
That said, my dad has been a pilot for 50+ years now and I was discussing FAA regulations with him. He said that recently the FAA has taken a much more forgiving stance towards violations. It used to be that if you got a call from the FAA you would get a fine or lose your license. Now days they're taking a stance of education. If you do something wrong the current administration will let you know but are far less likely to press charges, levy fees, etc. I can only hope/assume that they will take a similar stance for drones.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The hilarity of the second video is if I post a recreational video on YT, and YT puts an ad on it and makes money, then YT has now broken the Part 107 rules. LOL uhhhh WHUUUUHHHH?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The hilarity of the second video is if I post a recreational video on YT, and YT puts an ad on it and makes money, then YT has now broken the Part 107 rules. LOL uhhhh WHUUUUHHHH?

Oh I got one better.. there are two sites in Russia that have embedded some of the videos off of my locked out Psyborg channel that are monetized.. Bet they dont have a part 107 either hehe

Tench745

Master member
I've been thinking of getting a 107 license for a while now. I have a friend who has a camera drone and tossed around the idea of doing some filming/photography together. I need to look into it more before I bite that bullet, but it seems to me like it would open the door to some more possibilites, and eliminate some concerns as to whether or not I'm ever "legal".
Of course, I think that's probably EXACTLY why the FAA is leaving their definitions vague; so more people get licenses just to be safe.

Side note, my dad is also a CFI, and despite having no RC experience it looks like he can still sign off on part 107 instruction. Again, that needs more exploration as well. Neither of us is clear on the 107 regulations.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Part 107 is NOT a license it is only a certificate that confirms you have a little more knowledge then the average joe. It also means you have to form a business and become incorporated, Carry full coverage business level insurances, keep track of people who work under you and all that entails IE spotters, safety people, editors, narrators, drivers etc and most of all pay all fees, registrations, and taxes.

It's like the kid who cuts grass all summer and got a certificate of participation for being on a baseball team that now has to pay taxes on his grass cutting money and use his team uniform as a deduction so he can pay the local bully at school for "Protection" (AKA insurance) with his lunch money

I dont see too many people going for a part 107 to get around hobby flying. Specially since you have the certificate and are bound by those rules to be able to keep said certificate.

PoorManRC

Master member
..... The one thing I still don't understand - HOW is this effecting the occasional FB Aircraft Pilot who flies WITHOUT a Camera?

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
..... The one thing I still don't understand - HOW is this effecting the occasional FB Aircraft Pilot who flies WITHOUT a Camera?

Thats simple.. It flys...

Well that and they want to charge you for doing it

They still have yet to define what a CBO is.. my guess is because they are stuck figuring out how to monetize an organization under the guise of safety or how much to charge for site fees to be registered as a fria THRU a CBO

PoorManRC

Master member
Thats simple.. It flys...

Well that and they want to charge you for doing it

They still have yet to define what a CBO is.. my guess is because they are stuck figuring out how to monetize an organization under the guise of safety or how much to charge for site fees to be registered as a fria THRU a CBO
Well.... As I understand, as most of us do - it's a FARCE! Plain and simple, yet more Government Overreach, more digging into our pockets. With of course, NO proof of where any of these funds are going to go.

I'm absolutely disheartened by the fact that my $10 Foam Board Aircraft is lumped in with a $1000 20lb Drone! I can't see the justification.

I also don't understand, knowing so many RESPONSIBLE Drone Pilots, why THEY got lumped in with the FEW Brain Dead MORONS who seem to like dive bombing people and crashing into Buildings. 😳

The Drone Pilots I've talked to - present company included - take too much pride in their Aircraft to operate in such a reckless manner...
SMFH 😖😠

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I'm absolutely disheartened by the fact that my $10 Foam Board Aircraft is lumped in with a $1000 20lb Drone! I can't see the justification.

Cause rules are made by politicians getting drunk with corporate lobbyists making back door deals. Then taking those suggestions to a committee who know absolutely squat about what we do. Who then take what they know about remote control flying.. AKA THEIR drones that kill people and destroy things and add it to examples in the media of the kiddiots with their DJI phantoms doing dumb stuff and label anything RC that flys as a drone. Because they were too drunk to remember what the lobbyist called them they sprinkle a touch of fear mongering that terrorist's will retaliate with our toys against their big drones for bombing someone back to the stone age...

Its one big vicious bag o stupid and greed by people with their heads so far up their rear ends they have to fart to take a breath.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
2134734336-bxXqa.jpg

PoorManRC

Master member
......... taking those suggestions to a committee who know absolutely squat about what we do. Who then take what they know about remote control flying.. AKA THEIR drones that kill people and destroy things and add it to examples in the media of the kiddiots with their DJI phantoms doing dumb stuff and label anything RC that flys as a drone.

Its one big vicious bag o stupid and greed by people with their heads so far up their rear ends they have to fart to take a breath.
OK..... Exactly like under the "Watchful Eye" of Big Brother Govt, ANYTHING that fires a Bullet is a M-16 - and therefore must be BANNED. 😖

Desperately trying to NOT start a Political War... BUT if Georgia hands over Congress to the same CORRUPT Left that just bought the Oval Office (and ADMITTED it!!), the whole Country is going to become California!!! 😠😭😞
Without any checks and balances - watch it happen.

If there's still a Safe State to live in, I wish someone would tell me! Arizona has slowly been turning Blue for the past 15 years.

I say this with a sense of panic, because these AREN'T the Dems that FDR, Truman and JFK WERE...
This new Breed are Marx, Stalin and Khrushchev - with a huge addition of GREED.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Hard times make strong men.
Strong men make good times.
Good times make weak men.
Weak men make hard times.

We're just living through another cycle of history. The most important thing to remember, I believe, is that freedom is like a muscle. If it is not used it will atrophy. You only have the rights you are willing to fight for. As for me, "Give me Liberty or Give me Death."