New Item: Hobbyking ECO SIX 80W 6A 2~6S Battery Balance Charger AC/DC w/PSU

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Hi guys,

Hobbyking just released a new charger, but with the added feature of a built-in power source, so you don't need an extra power supply.

Since my 2S 3S Turnigy Balance Charger broke down last week and I don't have a working charger, I thought it would be a great step up. But I wanted to ask if anyone has had any previous experience with this charger - as it is only a rebranded "Robitronic Expert LD-16z". I don't want to spend $45 on charger + shipping only to get a poor quality product.

So, what do you think? Looks like a promising charger, same system as the eco6 and AccuCel.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Also goes by the names:

Hitec X1 AC Plus
SkyRC E6680
Robitronic Expert LD-16z

According to this thread on RCGroups it seems to be a decent charger, so I'll order this tonight unless someone objects with a good reason or better idea.

lonewolf7717

Hitec X1 AC Plus was/is a more than a decent charger. I don't own one but know a couple guys very happy with theirs, easy to plug into power at flying field in a much smaller package without having to mess around with inverter or power supply. Question is going to be is this an exact copy of Hitec or sub-par internals in a hitec case.

lonewolf7717

also if you are going to order this colorex.....i know you are a very observant bright guy but make sure the plug that comes with it will work for you in Ecuador

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
also if you are going to order this colorex.....i know you are a very observant bright guy but make sure the plug that comes with it will work for you in Ecuador

The plug that comes with it will not work in Ecuador :( Neither will the Deans connector work for me. But the chargers manual says that it's 110V and 60Hz compatible, and I have an XT-60 lying around somewhere.

Thanks for your reply, I'll pay for it now. Will post review of the charger when I get it in 5 or 6 weeks (Chinese New Year delay).

Gotta say I love the looks and functionality of this thing.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Aaaaaand I got it. I don't have my batteries at home to test it, but it fires up just fine with 120 V power.

jamiedco

Prop Killer
WOW that was really quick i usually wait for 4-6 weeks if not 8 weeks for my deliveries. in south Africa

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
WOW that was really quick i usually wait for 4-6 weeks if not 8 weeks for my deliveries. in south Africa

This gotta be the fastest delivery so far, considering I ordered it the 10th - very close to Chinese New Year! Got it the 27th.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Do you have any large lipos to test and see if it delivers all those promised amps?

Nope :)
Maybe someday I'll charge 2 2200mAh 3S batteries side by side, but I really just wanna do basic 1C charging.

I got the Euro plug changed with an American 3 pin style plug. And I must say, I looove the looks of this charger, let's just hope it holds up as promised!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Aaaaaand I found this thread after 3 years LOL. The charger is still going strong! I will actually get a balance board for it tomorrow, to charge 4 1300mAh 4S lipos in parallel :D

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Aaaaaaand... I blew up my charger LOL

Turns out it's rated for 6A but only 80W so for charging 4x 4S which is 16.8v you need

5.2A x 16.8v = 87W

Anyway I was charging with my parallel board for the first time and heard a pop and the built in power supply stopped working. I am now charging with a modded computer PSU as a power source. But the charger is still only 80W so I'll be charging at about 0.85C which is 4.5 Amps to keep it safe.

My batteries will be happy but it'll take more than an hour to fully charge them.

Cheers!