New member back to RC planes after a 25 year break.

Specialized29er

Owen new forum member from Queensland Australia.
Back to RC planes after a 25 year break.
So many questions regarding the new systems.
Have a Horizon Hobby Timber with the Safe system but having trouble understand the difference between the Safe bind and the AS3X bind.
Looking at buying a Carbon Cub 3+ to fly first since its smaller and has the fly its self system, great for regaining my flying skills.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Welcome to the Forum Family! I can't help you with the SAFE system, and I'm afraid I only know a little bit about the Turnigy 9X and the Taranis X9D. All I've flown have been FliteTest foamboard planes with those receivers and the protocol is different.

If you don't get an answer to your question within a couple of days, make a separate thread for it also under the "Hey YOU!" or "Forums 101" categories. Someone who has that knowledge is bound to answer, if they missed this post. Again, welcome to the forum!

Ketchup

4s mini mustang
Welcome to the forums!
So to address your question about safe vs as3x, safe is a system that limits bank and pitch angles and levels off your plane when you release the controls, but as3x just keeps the plane in the orientation that you leave it at. An example of this is if you bank 45 degrees right and let go of the sticks, as3x will keep the plane at that bank angle and make sure that wind doesn’t affect the plane, but safe will level out your plane immediately.

Headbang

Master member
Have a Horizon Hobby Timber with the Safe system but having trouble understand the difference between the Safe bind and the AS3X bind.
Looking at buying a Carbon Cub 3+ to fly first since its smaller and has the fly its self system, great for regaining my flying skills.
I used the timber to come back after a 20yr break, turned out to be perfect, and has since been passed on to someone else new to the hobby. Advantage to the timber is the large wing, it is closer to a .40 sized trainer. Best part about the new tech is you can setup very low rates, but be able to switch to medium and full if you find it too easy. The timber can handle a lot of wind, will transition you into sport flying, can be repaired easy enough (even after a full throttle dose dive into the ground). I am unsold on the safe feature. As3x is good for wind. Of couse if you can find a club or a buddy to help that will make things much easier and more enjoyable, buddy boxing turns the whole thing into something wonderful for a new pilot.

If having to do this on your own. Invest in something like real flight. Let your first 100 disasters be virtual. Sims seem expensive until you consider the cost of replacing real models.

cochise99

Welcome back. I also have rejoined the hobby after 36 years. It is a whole new world. There are many hundreds of folks in this forum that can help you with the learning curve of the R/C gear and accessories.
Best wishes.