New member!

smiling albert

Hi
Have never built any RC planes before but thought I might start with this one
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-style-mighty-mini-ju-87-stuka-free-plans

I have some basic questions-be gentle with me!I hope this is the right place to post
1.Would you use PVA glue ?
2.Is 5 mm thick foamboard ok ie is that the 1 foamboard thickness I keep hearing about?
This is the stuff they mainly sell in the uk
https://www.google.com/search?q=wes...9f7pu3fAhU0pnEKHeV3DzIQuw0IrQIoAg#spd=4839590
2.Was thinking of buying a Spektrum controller-any particular model ?
Would a 3 blade propeller be possible?
4.Do most people use razor blades/scalpels to cut the foam?
5.Am from the Uk and the foamboard comes with a stick on layer of paper either side-do I peel it off?
6.Do you think its possible to fit a bomb release and if so is there some kind of magnetic option available?
Thanks for any help anyone can give-remember I'm a beginner!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Hi
Have never built any RC planes before but thought I might start with this one
https://www.flitetest.com/articles/ft-style-mighty-mini-ju-87-stuka-free-plans

I have some basic questions-be gentle with me!I hope this is the right place to post
2.Is 5 mm thick foamboard ok ie is that the 1 foamboard thickness I keep hearing about?
This is the stuff they mainly sell in the uk
https://www.google.com/search?q=wes...9f7pu3fAhU0pnEKHeV3DzIQuw0IrQIoAg#spd=4839590
2.Was thinking of buying a Spektrum controller-any particular model ?
Would a 3 blade propeller be possible?
5.Am from the Uk and the foamboard comes with a stick on layer of paper either side-do I peel it off?
6.Do you think its possible to fit a bomb release and if so is there some kind of magnetic option available?
Thanks for any help anyone can give-remember I'm a beginner!
Welcome to the flite test forum!
I'm also in the UK and yes the westboard foamboard is just a smidge thicker than the Adams foamboard that you can get in the States. I've built several of the planes using it but it's a lot heavier (about 40% heavier) so you have to be prepared for tail heavy planes. Try removing the inner paper where possible, that helps a lot. The flite test foamboard is really easy to remove the paper from, the UK Westboard is much harder but using a household iron set at cotton tempreture makes it much much easier.
You can get the proper flite test foamboard in the UK but it's not cheap!
I've used hot glue with no issues but UHU POR glue is really good and saves weight.
Three bladed props are fine but if you are belly landing a plane they are more likely to catch on the ground.
I use mainly craft knifes which have the break off portions as a good edge is needed to get clean cuts.
Search in the flite test videos - there is a couple of videos showing easy bomb drops to make

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
You don’t need a Spektrum radio. Even if you want to buy Horizon hobby Bind N Fly stuff you can use the better and cheaper options such as the Jumper T12 (does everything and any radio protocol, slightly steeper learning curve) or Orange RX6i (DSMX only in UK, binds great with Horizon BNF) or a Flysky FS6i or similar if you don’t intend to use any DSMX planes.
Many of those TX’s have everything you need to get started for less than £80 new and the receivers are cheaper than Spektrum ones. The Lemon RX DSMX receivers are superb and only £13 shipped.
I would recommend buying a speed build kit first, they use the Adams board and save a lot of trouble, you can get the servos etc separately without buying the expensive Graupner power packs.
Prop choice is dependant on motor and that is dependant on the overall weight of the plane and how crazy you want it.
I would look at a more forgiving design than a low wing warbird as well, if you haven’t flown at all before you will have a better experience with something like a mini Scout, Tiny Trainer, Mini Sportster speed build kit.
Once you can one of those fly without feeling like it’s a bit out of control, then look at other designs. The heavy 5mm board is a pain to work with on the plan designs, all mine have required mods and longer noses to work with it.
If you buy a 6 channel radio and use a 4channel plane then you will have two spare channels for bomb drops, flaps or retracts. These can just use a 3.7g mini servo to mechanically release. You can add them to anything, it doesn’t have to be a warbird.
The Tiny Trainer is really adaptable and the modular design makes repairs really easy. There’s a mod here for it to make a TTSpit with a spitfire type low wing or the trainer or sport wing, on 3s it’s capable of high speed aerobatics and on 2s it’s still pretty fast. Just because something has Trainer in the name, doesn’t mean it’s lame..

FDS

Elite member
The cool thing about foamboard is you can have 4 airframes for the price of a single BNF foamie. You can move motors and RX, esc’s between them if you want, usually when the original bird is fit only for the bin!

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
No, in Europe UHU POR is a far better choice. It's hard to get in the US, we mostly use hot glue.

Depron is a popular choice in Europe, I believe its an underlayment for flooring. In Europe, it's cheap & foam board is expensive. In the US foam board is cheap & Depron is expensive. From what I've seen Depron is superior to foam board.

3.Would a 3 blade propeller be possible?
They are possible but not as easy to find as a 2 blade.

Yes, a cheap utility knife.

Use Depron.

Yes. Learn to fly first with a trainer. Then move on to a war bird. Your first several planes will be sacrificed to learning to fly. We've all gone through the process.

Remember the Flite Test motto: Build, fly, crash, repeat.

jross

The Tiny Trainer is really adaptable and the modular design makes repairs really easy.
Couldn't agree more. The warbirds are more sexy but if you want to learn and have success, pick this aircraft first. I was hesitant to build it as my first flyer but now glad I did. I probably have 30 flights on mine now and really enjoy it. Flies nice. Easy to hand launch. Takes a beating. If you need new airframe parts, they build up fast. The 3 and 4 channel both fly well. I'd strongly encourage you to start with the TT and build up the warbird as you learn on the TT.

In terms of foam, one of the hurdles with thicker foam is the need to redraw the plans to accommodate the difference in thickness on any A, B or C folds. Then there's the weight and CG issue with heavier foam. Not a good way to have a good first build and flight experience. Keep it simple. Better shot at success. While I've been interested and exposed to RC planes for a couple of years, I have about 1 months worth of flying experience. So glad I went the simple route. A month after starting on my TT, I'm flying my Explorer and a KFM wing. (As of yesterday!) Two years ago I started with wings and had nothing but failure and discouragement. Wings are somewhat similar to the faster FT planes. Things happen fast and as a beginner, you need slow.

Last edited:

Headbang

Master member
I do most of the training our club, fly a lot of 3d and fast planes, and I still managed to dump a mig 3 into the ground a few days ago. Yet an explorer is maybe the best beginner plane I have ever flown, and it is fun for me as well. In short, warbirds are not for beginners.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
Hi
Thanks again for all your helpful advice.
Think I’ go with this one
https://store.flitetest.com/flite-test-tiny-trainer-get-started-package-flt-5006-bdl/p791873
Can’t seem to find cheap depron but found this deal
https://www.servoshop.co.uk/index.php?pid=FT4000&area=Aircraft
Is that a good price?

the foam price is a little high but at least it is the FT waterproof foam. in england your gonna pay more unfortunately.

the tiny trainer would be a great starter, but i would not recommend the DXe transmitter they are trying to sell with it. it works, is good, but is really only meant for 1 plane. it has no advanced features that can be accessed without further purchases (programing cable). if you are serious about getting into the hobby, spend the money up front and get a real transmitter. i am a Spektrum guy and will always be one. i know everyone has their fav's but for me Spektrum just makes life easy. i started with the Dx6e and couldn't have been happier. in most cases 6 channels are plenty. i now use a Dx8 and once again couldn't be happier.

happy building and flying,

me :cool:

kilroy07

Legendary member
As other have said, the tiny trainer is a great place to start! Mine is built out of elmers foamboard (it's a heaver brand than Dollar tree we get here in the states) and it flies great on a 2205 motor (F pack)

On radios, I think you have two choices depending on where you are at and headed.
I started with FlySky (the i6X) because it was 1/4 the cost of Spektrum and never had an issue or complaint.
You can get one with a 6 channel receiver for about $60us. I think it's a great starter/midrange system.

Last year I was given a Parkzone F-4f and Night Radian, so had to pony up for the Spketrum (I bought the Dx8).
It's obvously a higher quality build, the setup with the Bind and Fly line of aircraft is effortless. But it did cost almost 6 times what I paid for the Flysky.

I will probably continue to use both.

I guess what I am saying is take these suggestions for what they are worth and choose what's best for you.

Oh, and welcome to the greatest RC community ever!!

FDS

Elite member
Sussex Model Centre sell FT speed build kits in the UK. Model Shop Leeds carry them as well. If you buy anything from the FT store it will be subject to UK import duty at 10% then VAT at 20% plus a handling charge.
Depron sheet is available here, but if you buy a speedbuild kit you won’t need any, everything you need to complete your plane is in there apart from the electronics.
Build your TT first, get it flying, then worry about scratch building from plans.

FDS

Elite member
If you are buying depron for scratch building FT planes then you want 5mm. That’s not as easy to find. Their plans are all set up for 5mm wall thickness. You can re scale them slightly and use 3mm foamboard or depron.
I would still buy, build and fly a speed build FT kit first, then have a go at a depron build. There’s stuff the speed build kit will teach you that will help. Depron also doesn’t have any paper on it, so A and B folds don’t work the same at all.
Also 350mmx250mm won’t make much more than a small tail plane or power pod! You want A1 size sheets.
On the TX front if you have any radio with a module bay then you just put a Spektrum/DSMX module in it, the Jumper T12 already has that and more. You can add external modules to the Flysky with a little ingenuity for much less than the cost of another TX.

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
Although there’s lots of non FT designs set up for 3mm Depron that fly great indoors. A buddy of mine made a really cool Concorde with two tiny whoop type motors and mini props with the tiny micro actuators to do 3ch indoor stuff all winter.

smiling albert

Hi
Thanks again everyone
Am still trying to get to grips with the bewildering array of different controllers and receivers as that’s the most expensive item and although spektrum is obviously well thought of It is expensive and am trying to keep costs down ,though Inwould like 6 channels.FlySky i6X) b looks a good cheaper option though apparently it’s not compatible with dsmx planes but not sure what that means!