New member!

FDS

Elite member
DSMX is the protocol used by Horizon Hobby in their Spektrum radios and Horizon Hobby Bind N Fly planes. If you have or are going to buy Horizon Hobby planes, especially ones with their Safe and AS3x systems then it’s a good idea to buy a transmitter that is fully compatible with and has known good binding with DSMX. This does not mean it has to be a Spektrum radio. DSMX is only one of many transmitter to receiver protocols.
Multi protocol radio summary-
  • One TX to rule them all, in some cases including toy quads etc, no need to buy more than one TX for all the popular receiver types.
  • Greater degree of complexity- you will have to set more up simply because the TX does more
  • Higher cost than budget fixed protocol options.
  • Can be re flashed with new firmware to stay up to date with new technologies or regulation
  • Will grow with you or stay at a basic level, since most will work without a PC to set up models and fly or you can get deeper in if you want.
  • Designed for you to change things- either by plug in modules or through software.
Fixed protocol TX-
  • Less steep initial learning curve
  • Some features of BNF models restricted to a single protocol, eg SAFE.
  • You are locked in to one protocol, if another manufacturer has features you want or cheaper receivers, you can’t access them.
  • Can be modified with external modules to run other protocols, some have module bays
  • Usually easy to bind to own manufacturers products
  • Perceived as easier or less complex than Open TX, not always the case.
  • Cheap basic offerings from most manufacturers
There’s as many opinions on radio gear as there are modellers. I would NOT buy a Spektrum radio, certainly none of the cheaper options such as a second hand DX6i or DXE. Lots of people have problems with the DXE, plus it requires an app to program anything. For the same price you could have a superb multi protocol radio or a solid mid level TX with a screen and all the features of the DXE or DS6i from a competitor.
I needed DSMX because I had a Sport Cub S as my first plane, I bought a second hand Orange RX6i because it is fully DSMX compatible and it was really easy to set up and bind to my Cub. If I was buying again I would have bought a Jumper T12.
If you are only planning on building foam planes and kits, then you can do very well with the entry level FRSky stuff, the RX’s are not expensive and the handset has mixing, expo and rates etc which are all useful. You will have to learn how to set it up but there’s lots of videos on YT.
If you think you might be doing a variety of RC flying, so kits, pre built, toy quads and bigger quads then buy the T12, I just got one for my son, even the basic one is superb value for money. The Hall effect gimbal version is still under £100. You get a branch of Open TX (transmitter set up software) which has huge tutorial support and it comes with a multi protocol module as standard.
You can get your first FT model nearly finished with a servo set up tool (£5) running off 4AA batteries and a servo plug (£5 all in tops) then add the TX at the end to set all the rates and calibrate the ESC, get the motor turning the right way etc.
Spektrum gained its traction through aggressive marketing and the excellent range of foam BNF or PNP planes Horizon have made over the last decade,back in the day Futaba was the perceived premium product everyone wanted!

Last edited:

FDS

Elite member
If you buy multi protocol it does VHS, Betamax and DVD, HDV and can be upgraded to 4K.
I was astonished at what was possible with modern radio gear, I have got my head around about 10% of it.
It’s well worth waiting and researching thoroughly and if possible get a few TX’s in your hand before committing. I am very glad I didn’t fork out £200 on a DX6. Learning was free and I saved myself a lot of money at the start.
I will still have spent about £200 by the time I am done buying TX’s but I will have two sets for me so I can buddybox friends and family plus I will be able to fly anything, not just Horizon Hobby DSMX stuff.

smiling albert

Thanks FDS!
I think I'm going to try a Flysky FS6i ori6X as appear to be the cheapest yet have a good reputation.
Am probably going to be scratchbuilding planes ie not buying kits Will probably need 2 controllers as need 1 for me, 1 for my son so we can have dogfights etc.So might be flying 3/4 planes .
Will a couple of Flysky FS6i ori6X's cope with this?
Can anyone recommend good UK ebay sellers they've used to buy controllers from?

FDS

Elite member
Yes, the Flsky 6is will work well and they have a buddy box trainer mode that will help you teach others how to crash fly. Make sure you buy the Flysky trainer cable as it’s wired differently to a generic s video cable.
The receivers for those are cheap too, with pretty good range and a number of lightweight 6 channel options, ideal for FT planes.
The only downside is that the 6i won’t grow with you like a more advanced TX, although you can add channels, it can’t do other protocols, you can get modules to work with it but it’s not got a bay for plug in ones and the gimbals will be very budget in the way they feel and work.
That’s not to say they are inherently bad, but to hit the price point they have to compromise somewhere. As my fingers do my flying I decided I wanted as good gimbal feel as I could afford.
If there’s a local model shop that does RC go there and try a few TX’s in hand. Some will get within a few £ of web price if you ask, personally I will pay 10-20% more from a store if it means it’s there when I need it or I can try stuff out vs buying off the web. Remember the TX is the physical connection to your plane, so having one in hand before buying is important vs something like a receiver or servo that you just plug in and put in the airframe.
That’s why people are so passionate about “their” transmitter I suppose.
I try to buy my gear from model shops with online stores like Model Shop Leeds, who have been around as a physical store for years as opposed to faceless box shifters. You will get real customer service from them too.
Unmanned Tech Shop have the bundle with a receiver for £55 and Flyingtech have it too, with the option of binding it for you as well. I noticed some of the more established shops don’t carry Flysky.

Last edited:

smiling albert

Ok
Thanks.So can buy 2 controller and multiple receivers ,one for each plane I build.
Have had an invite to a local club this weekend to try out a few trainers so hopefully they might have a Flsky 6is
I know the shop in Leeds as grew up there and still go back to visit my mum!

FDS

Elite member
Yes, you buy a new receiver for each plane unless the last one is completely destroyed! Once the foam airframe is smashed or worn out most people harvest the electronics and recycle them to other builds.
The receiver binds to a single transmitter, the Flysky can hold up to 20 planes in its memory, so you and your son can have 20 each in the memory that you would just have to plug a battery into and be ready to fly, it remembers all the trim positions, rates, expo and any tweaks for individual models in the transmitter you bound that receiver to.
Going to a local club is a very good idea, you will get to see lots of stuff and can ask people about what they use.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
problem is, if you have 20 airplanes and need a receiver for each. depending upon the brand this can run from $5 a shot to over $60 a shot. big difference if you plan on having multiple planes. $20x5= $100 (Orange DSM2 and DSMX), or $60x20=$1,200 (flsky, taranis,)

spending a little more on the Tx can actually save you money in the end. just saying...

i would also recommend checking ebay for used Tx's. any spektrum that you find can be sent back to Horizon and fixed for free in most cases. i got one that was sold as "parts only" because it would not turn on. spent $10 for shipping and sent to Horizon, they fixed it and sent it back for free. now i have a $150 spare Tx that cost me under $40 and is basically brand new.

good luck,

me :cool:

FDS

Elite member
Flysky compatible 6 channel receivers are £8 each. DSM2 is also not EU compliant.
Second hand Spektrum here is at least £50 unless it’s a model with no screen.

Last edited:

bracesport

Legendary member
my next plane will certainly be a tiny trainer - I plan to whip up a couple in a few hours and get the family involved in flying. I have some old school FM gear in my 1.2m trainer and I also just bought an FSi6s which is a sweet little Tx for $60! I have already set up some mixing to use ailerons so I can rate it starting out!

smiling albert

Aaaaargh!!!
Thought I had it sussed then last night my son announced that as he had been flying drones with VR headsets this is what he wants to do with planes.
Does this affect what controller I buy?

Reactions: FDS

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Aaaaargh!!!
Thought I had it sussed then last night my son announced that as he had been flying drones with VR headsets this is what he wants to do with planes.
Does this affect what controller I buy?
Nope, no change. The video transmission from the camera is a separate analogue signal direct to the headset/monitor. You can use extra RC channels to control a servo or two to give pan/tilt to the camera. All the more reason to ensure that you have 6+ channels. 4 for throttle and flight controls, 1 for undercarriage, 1 for bomb drop ;) and two for pan/tilt = 8 channels :) :) :)

smiling albert

Ok
Thanks.
Do Flysky do 8 channel controllers and if so is there one people would recommend?
Also do I have to buy flysky receivers or are there any other options?
-Just thinking ahead - if i throw my hat in with them and then they went bust could be difficult to get more receivers /spares

One other

FDS

Elite member
If you buy Fkysky transmitters all your receivers must use the Flysky PROTOCOL, not be Flysky manufactured.
That’s why I suggested a multi protocol transmitter, it works with everything. There is a Turnigy/HobbyKing version of this transmitter as well, might be worth a look as a comparison.
There are hundreds of thousands of users of their protocol all over the world, it’s not going to disappear. Plus you can always add an external module to your TX, with whatever protocol you like. If you stay in the hobby long enough to outlast Flysky products, you won’t be using their entry level transmitter. A £40 TX will have limited parts you can change, another way cost is cut. Broken receivers are usually junk.
Also FPV- You need to learn line of sight FIRST, in multi rotor or fixed wing, it makes you a better FPV pilot. Get your son on a simulator, it will help plus virtual crashes are free.

The FS6i can be expanded to up to 10 channels, look at the product description.

The Jumper T12 that I recommended before has 12+ channels and will run anything for under £100. It can bind with every common protocol.

Last edited:

smiling albert

On the subject of Depron have found someone who'll sell an 800 x 1250 mm white sheet for £ 4.99
Sounds good but
1.Is it waterproof?
2.FT plans are for 5mm so I guess this will mess with the scale/weight-shame!!!

Headbang

Master member
Only time I needed more then 6 channels was on larger biplanes. And that was only so I could do crows feet on the wing, and the convenience of per aileron sub trim. I could have used y cables and been at 5 channels.

bracesport

Legendary member
I'm sorta wedded to three channels motor/ailerons/elevator using the bank and yank system. It certainly keeps things simple as a rookie and is expandable with mixing and spoilerons/flaps for a bit of fun with the gliders.