New Mobile Hangar

OliverW

Legendary member
I kind of want to get a cheap 4x8 flatbed trailer and make a light wooden frame for the body, then cover it with transparent red monokote. But considering how much Monokote costs that woudl be a really expensive way to make a trailer.

kind of like this, only replace the outerskin with monokote.
https://www.clcboats.com/modules/ca...evelopment-projects&code=clc-teardrop-trailer

I have a lot of great ideas, but it takes a LOT LOT more bad ideas to make the good ones come to me.
Buy some chinakote instead

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I kind of want to get a cheap 4x8 flatbed trailer and make a light wooden frame for the body, then cover it with transparent red monokote. But considering how much Monokote costs that woudl be a really expensive way to make a trailer.

kind of like this, only replace the outerskin with monokote.
https://www.clcboats.com/modules/ca...evelopment-projects&code=clc-teardrop-trailer

I have a lot of great ideas, but it takes a LOT LOT more bad ideas to make the good ones come to me.
People give away old bumper pull camper trailers around here, handy people can do all kinds of things with them, but mostly they set in pastures to rot...

vhandon

Found my plane hauler. After seeing everyone get stuck in the mud at FliteFest Texas 2018 I decided to go 4x4. Seats fold down and the back shell is removable. Not as much room as the minivan but can hold enough for a full day of flying. It should have enough power to haul my pop up camper as well.

It was cheap but needed a little work. Used the isolation time over the past few weeks to make it safe for the highway.

Here is a list of everything replaced:

Pilot Bearing
Rear Main Seal
Flywheel
Clutch Disc
Clutch Pressure Plate
Release Bearing
Front Shock Absorbers
Upper and Lower Front Ball Joints
Front CV Axles
Front Wheel Bearings, Races, and Wheel Seals
Driveshaft U-Joints
Conversion to Manual Wheel Lockers
Sway Bar Bushings
Starter
Muffler (It didn't have one)
Grease, lots of Grease

It drives great and is ready for a road trip as soon as they are allowed.
20200311_135654.jpg

vhandon

Looks nice. What is it?
I'm always happy when I save a bucketful of money by doing my own car repair. I'm even happier I don't do it for a living. :)

It is a 1988 Toyota 4 Runner. Lots of fun to drive. Car repair has been a "hobby" for 30 years. Saved lots of money but like you, not a career I want to pursue.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I'd throw a water pump and timing belt in it too if you're going to cross country it. Pretty cheap insurance! It's a piece of cake, can be done on the side of the road, ask me how I know! Lol

"Corpse"

Legendary member
I'm saving up for an older Toyota Tacoma to put all my FPV gear in. It's gonna be home-base for my quads.:D:cool:

vhandon

Don't know about the new Toyota trucks but the older ones are some of the best deals around. Very reliable and when they need repairs you can do them yourself affordably.

slowjo

Master member
Found my plane hauler. After seeing everyone get stuck in the mud at FliteFest Texas 2018 I decided to go 4x4. Seats fold down and the back shell is removable. Not as much room as the minivan but can hold enough for a full day of flying. It should have enough power to haul my pop up camper as well.

It was cheap but needed a little work. Used the isolation time over the past few weeks to make it safe for the highway.

Here is a list of everything replaced:

Pilot Bearing
Rear Main Seal
Flywheel
Clutch Disc
Clutch Pressure Plate
Release Bearing
Front Shock Absorbers
Upper and Lower Front Ball Joints
Front CV Axles
Front Wheel Bearings, Races, and Wheel Seals
Driveshaft U-Joints
Conversion to Manual Wheel Lockers
Sway Bar Bushings
Starter
Muffler (It didn't have one)
Grease, lots of Grease

It drives great and is ready for a road trip as soon as they are allowed.
View attachment 166579
those are fun : )