New Multiroter for filming

wastingallmytime

Hey all, I was tasked with filming my crew team, and aside from the obvious alternatives, I believe areal filming would be ideal for this. I would like to use this as a way to get into multiroters. I would likely be using it with my gopro and would prefer a gimbal mount, but would be happy to have a non gimbal mount and mod the frame to carry a gimbal and gopro. Aside from just recreational flying, it would need to be able to film well, and preferably would have a "follow me" function for the boat, but that is not a requirement. My first questions is tri or quad copter, as I am not sure which would be best for filming. Also, I would be happy to build mine, as I love doing DIY projects and think this would be a great thing to do for fun. However, if there is model already made that would work well in my situation, I would be happy to look into it. Lastly, I would like this to be as cheap as possible. I have full access to a 3d printer I can use for free, and I would like to take advantage of this in the frame. I was thinking about the Tricopter V3 Kit from David Windestal, as I could 3d print most of the frame and he used it to film many flight test videos. How does that sound? Thanks!

wastingallmytime

I was looking seriously at the Tricopter V3 and was thinking about adding the hitech optima 9 channel 2.4 for an antenna and as a way to notify me if my battery is running low, as I will need to know that when I am flying over water. Also, I may add the APM 2.6 Flight Controller for a follow me function. However, I dont know if that would work very well.

Snarls

Gravity Tester
Mentor
If you have never flown multirotors before I suggest getting lots of practice on land before considering bringing your investment over the water. Even then make sure you have floats in case you do land in the water.

Setting up a multirotor with a camera, gimbal, and follow me will be a steep learning curve so take it one step at a time starting with learning to fly a basic quad/tri.

Good luck and hopefully you'll get some cool shots of your crew team!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Are you planning on piloting or rowing? follow me is cool and can work (it's not bulletproof reliable) , but the pilot (usually not being followed) better be ready to take control again when it decides to do something unexpected.

I'm assuming we're talking about the photographing airframe flying above water . . . any plans for the *inevitable* water landing? (hint: amphibous multirotor)

Fleshpilot's Boxcopter pops to the top of my list for a DIY build, but there are other amphibious frames out there.

wastingallmytime

I have invested in a rather cheap one to practice my control over the device. I plan on doing copious amounts of on land tests before I even consider taking it over the water. I plan on filming from either on land or form a launch riding close to the boat. I had the initial plan to have it follow me in the boat, but I was unaware of how spotty the follow me function was. Even in an environment where there would be no obstacles, would it be not reliable? I was thinking about building the tricoptor, and then creating a way of water-proofing the main body, so that It would protect the main components in the event of an on the water crash. I would also create a way to mount a float system to the bottom and the arms of the system so that the motors and SEC's would remain above water

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Multirotors have a tendency at times to bounce and flip over on a hard "landing". Don't expect floats to save your electronics from getting wet in a crash.