New Naze 32 rev 6 setup. Newb

Jbird

I have taken a few looks at some of the write ups on how to fix it. I literally just learn how to soldier on this project. i had so much trouble learning on this radio. After all the mods are needed to make it a really nice radio.... not really worth it. i dont plan on going nuts with more multi copters. Also something with DSM availability would make things easier with my nano and other spectrum receivers i stepped away from to try something better. I think I have just come to realize for a while I need really simple and easy menus and should focus on more flying before modding a transmitter.

Jbird

I am looking at the Orange transmitter with dsm interface. Pick up the cppm or sbus reciever and give it another shot.

pressalltheknobs

Posted a thousand or more times
Up to you. If you must have Spektrum BNF I would get a DSMX DX6i instead. Get a used one if money is tight - make sure it has an X on the front. The Orange t-Six is nicer in some ways - except for the translucent orange which seems a bit tacky to me - but it's DSM2 only and I have heard people have trouble binding to some Spektrum BNF planes. At least search around for the problems first to satisfy yourself it's the right thing.

pressalltheknobs

I don't have any of these (well one Orange TX module that I'm not that pleased with) so take my opinion with a pinch of salt but from what I read Lemon RX's seem to be preferred to Orange.

Also just to clarify, S-Bus is a Futaba/FrSky specific serial link and generally you will only find it on RXs that are either Futaba, FrSky or compatible. Graupner have their own version - SUMD I think and FlySky now has i-bus on its i series stuff.

CPPM (aka PPM) is more generic and more widely supported by different brands.

Jbird

Ok so I came across and old 5xe non computer radio and ar400 in my parts bin. Could these work with my tri?

pressalltheknobs

Ok so I came across and old 5xe non computer radio and ar400 in my parts bin. Could these work with my tri?

It should work. You have 4 flight channels a two position Aux channel and a momentary AUX channel on that TX so enough for the basics and either an ARM switch or a two mode selection. There's gizmo you can get to make the momentary channel useful if you are really keen.

One point is that you don't have adjustable servo endpoints so you may need to adjust for that in Cleanflight.

pressalltheknobs

Even with a 4ch reciever?

ok you got me there. No, you will only get 4 channels from the AR400 RX. Still it's enough to fly. You can arm with the throttle stick.

Think you may also be able to change modes with the sticks but it's just not convenient.

If you get a 6ch Lemon or orange RX you can take advantage of the 2 way switch and maybe even the momentary. There are PPM type options so it may be worth the $10 - $20 investment.

Jbird

So if I changed my game plan again and went with a quad would it be easier? At this point I'll do what ever possible to get this in the air.

Can you do ppm with out computer radio? Or is it strictly through the reciever?

Last edited:

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I think any multirotor application will be pretty equivalent with the hardware you described. If you keep it simple, it should all work whether it's a quad or tricopter (which I believe the dragonfly is basically a tricopter with two motors on Y connectors). Those are the two that makes most sense for a 4 channel RX. With both, you'll lose the ability to select different flight modes with an extra channel, so you'll either fly in one mode or have to find an alternative method to select flight modes.

The biggest difficulty with the TX/RX you have is what others have said about setting your RX/TX end points. It sounds like if you can get the endpoints to 1000-2000, on all channels, you should be ok. If not, you'll have to adjust the flight controller software to suit whatever channel endpoints you're limited to with that TX. This is not just on throttle, but also on roll, pitch and yaw / aileron, elevator, rudder.

That's because in order to arm, you need maximum/minimum throttle/yaw for most flight controllers.

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

So if I changed my game plan again and went with a quad would it be easier? At this point I'll do what ever possible to get this in the air.

Can you do ppm with out computer radio? Or is it strictly through the receiver?

You really need 4 channels to fly any multi-rotor effectively - doesn't matter if it is a tri or a quad. You can fly a plane with 3 channels but then it doesn't go backwards (under control anyway) or turn on the spot and it has inherent lift when in motion. Probably a better way to characterize the differences but I'm sure you get the idea.

A Quad might be easier because it's done more so the issues are the same as everyone else - there's no tail servo to trip you up - but it's not the transmitter that is the limitation.

ppm out is a feature of the receiver generally. If it's a Spektrum compatible 6CH DSM2/DSMX receiver and it can put out a PPM/CPPM signal then you should be able to use that with the DX5e. It's possible there is some bizarre limitation so ask Lemon or Orange and search around before you buy to confirm it will work if it bugs you, but for $10 - $15 I would risk it - you will get 5 channels (6 if you work at it) in any case which is the real reason - so getting one with PPM support is icing (or gravy)

Also you can start with the 4CH and get things working. The 6CH RX with CPPM are enhancements you can add later. I just suggested it because its not much money for nice improvement.

This sort of thing...
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...MX_Compatible_6Ch_2_4GHz_Receiver_w_CPPM.html

Another option is to use a Spektrum(or compatible ) Satellite RX if your FC board supports it. I haven't looked into this option deeply so I'm not sure of the specifics but it gets the same result as using CPPM and is also inexpensive.

Jbird

Thanks flying monkey but this is my very first multi and the pages were a little difficult to understand. Simply because I didn't understand a lot of the terms. I'm learning my way around. I'll be putting an order in as soon as I can. I am looking into a DX6 soon though. Make it easier for a while. Everything all included. Hopefully I'll be flying this soon thanks to you guys. I'll keep you posted.

Jbird

Ok so I followed the flitetest video everything seems all good with the multi at this point. I have a dx4e as a back I'm trying and no luck yet, I think I need to change some of the values I can't arm it. I can't wait for my birthday in about 3 weeks. I'll be a proud owner of a dx6 by then hopefully.

After exploring a couple of troubleshooters and such, it seems as if I have an end point issue. my sticks dont have enough travel to reach the low and the high.

T: 992-1820
y: 1190-1790
P: 1180 - 1810
R: 1180 - 1800

Instead of digging into the Naze settings I think I am just going to hold off and finish everthing when I get my new radio.

Last edited:

pressalltheknobs

If you do wan to have a go in the meantime... this from the CleanFight manual...

"...

Receiver Channel Range Configuration.
If you have a transmitter/receiver, that output a non-standard pulse range (i.e. 1070-1930 as some Spektrum receivers) you could use rx channel range configuration to map actual range of your transmitter to 1000-2000 as expected by Cleanflight.

The low and high value of a channel range are often referred to as 'End-points'. e.g. 'End-point adjustments / EPA'.
All attempts should be made to configure your transmitter/receiver to use the range 1000-2000 before using this feature as
you will have less precise control if it is used.

To do this you should figure out what range your transmitter outputs and use these values for rx range configuration. You can
do this in a few simple steps:

If you have used rc range configuration previously you should reset it to prevent it from altering rc input. Do so by entering the
following command in CLI:

rxrange reset
save

Now reboot your FC, connect the configurator, go to the Receiver tab move sticks on your transmitter and note min and max
values of first 4 channels. Take caution as you can accidentally arm your craft. Best way is to move one channel at a time.

Go to CLI and set the min and max values with the following command:

rxrange <channel_number> <min> <max>

For example, if you have the range 1070-1930 for the first channel you should use rxrange 0 1070 1930 in the CLI. Be sure
to enter the save command to save the settings.

After configuring channel ranges use the sub-trim on your transmitter to set the middle point of pitch, roll, yaw and throttle.
You can also use rxrange to reverse the direction of an input channel, e.g. rxrange 0 2000 1000.

..."

Jbird

Wow I had to read that a few times. So I can go to the cli command and change from there? I am normally really good at reading manuals, but they are more schematics than software. I'll have to give it a try tonight. Thanks!!!

Jbird

Ok so I believe I have success !!!! There is a dead spot though if I pin the throttle all the way down. So I moved the little adjuster slide up past half way before it "unlocked" the other channels if that makes sense. I bench flew with. I props and if I pull the throttle all the way down or yaw all the way over it just shuts down. I think I need to play with it a little and figure a few of the numbers.

I'll I have now is double check the best CG battery placement and put the props on and ready to fly.

I couldn't have done this with out all of you here on flitetest community. From the bottom of my heart thanks !!!