New "Old" Guy here!

Dutch56

I'm looking to getting into foam building with my 12 yr old grandson in part to spend some quality time with him and to challenge him mathematically. He is currently in an advanced math class and he tells me that the math is still too easy.

Anyhoo-the question I have is this: When looking at the free plans, I'm seeing plans for A-size and B-size. Is there any difference in the plane size?

Thanks in advance!

Chuppster

I'm looking to getting into foam building with my 12 yr old grandson in part to spend some quality time with him and to challenge him mathematically. He is currently in an advanced math class and he tells me that the math is still too easy.

Anyhoo-the question I have is this: When looking at the free plans, I'm seeing plans for A-size and B-size. Is there any difference in the plane size?

Thanks in advance!

Welcome! Glad to meet you!

A-size is your typical letter paper, 8.5x11 inches. The 20x30 inch plan is tiled into 8 sheets. B-size tiles are roughly twice the size of an A-tile, and they make four tiles per sheet of foamboard.

Dutch56

Thanks Chuppster! Any plane recommendations for newbie fliers? Looking to start with a 3 channel set-up.

runfly

foam building can be hard if you don't have experience building with foam board. make sure to use foam safe hot glue

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Thanks Chuppster! Any plane recommendations for newbie fliers? Looking to start with a 3 channel set-up.

If you're wanting to start 3 channel, can't really go wrong with the Simple Cub...Elevator, rudder, and throttle, plus you have the ability to hook up ailerons later on when you want to go to a 4 channel plane. :)

Chuppster

I learned on the Simple Cub, but if you want an airplane that is really easy to fly the Simple Soarer is the way to go. If you live somewhere with a lot of wind, however, it may not be the best way to learn.

The Simple Cub is my most durable airframe. I've cartwheeled it so many times and you just have to straighten a few things out and she's fine!

Dutch56

Thanks for all your replies! I live in the Salt Lake City, Utah and some days there is hardly any wind and on others, I'm afraid to let my little dog out! :D