New OLD guy in Hawai'i

Royall

I posted the following at another forum. A rather BIG forum and just felt rather overwhelmed with all that was going on. The forum has so much going on that I found it hard to feel at home there. Love the "small town" feel of the Flite Test forum! I do have lots of questions to come and hope I don't wear my welcome out!!

Aloha!

I’m 64 and a retired automobile mechanic. Love woodworking, hiking, and scuba diving.

A little of my Modeling background.

As a kid, my first planes were balsa and tissue rubber powered. Had fun with those but never got real good results as I did it all on my own as there were no other kids in the neighborhood. Later, (1966-67) I got a Heathkit (Kraft) 4 channel proportional radio kit for Christmas. Put that together and then built a Falcon 56 with a .35 cid engine. Still never having had any mentors to help, I painted it all black…. Big mistake as I got the plane into the air but couldn’t tell if it was upside down or not!! LOL Well, I put the plane back into kit form quite quickly and that put modeling on hold for several years as life got a hold of me and went off to adulthood.

The fear of putting a lot of effort and love into another plane only to break it, kept me out mostly I did start a few other planes as I tried in the mid 80’s a little. Got a Enya 1.2 four stroke and put an ignition system on it. I started to built a Bud Nossen trainer (108” wingspan) but due to a couple of moves, lost the plane to falling moving boxes. The idea of quick built foamies has got me excited again. Making quick built “down and dirty” trainers without the nitro engines to fuss with to learn on really has my attention!

I’m looking to get back into modeling after a long, long, time. I have more time than money and never gave rc flying a second thought as it used to be so expensive. Then I killed a lot of time on YouTube and got looking at all the real cool turbine engine jets out there! Oh, has modeling come a long way! Anyway, I got looking at electric models and then into foam planes and from there, looked into the cost of 4-6 channel radios…. Geez they are cheap now days!! There will be a lot of questions down the road but have been reading all I can. There is lots of confusion on kinds or types of foam out there too. I think that there is a very limited variety of foam available to me on the big island of Hawai’i. I’ve seen the big slabs of coarse white foam at Home Depot that comes in various thicknesses and the some kind of foam board I found at the Ben Franklin craft store.

Looking forward to getting things together to try the sport again.

Sorry for the long read………

Aloha,

Royall

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Welcome, sir!

I'm 19 and have about 2 years in this hobby (wow that much already, seems like yesterday).

I'd be glad to help answer any questions you might have. Just post them here and you'll get the answers you need.

Welcome again to our small town :)

Royall

Thanks guys! I do have one question.... Is anyone familiar with the foam board sold at Ben Franklin craft stores? Large sheets that look about 3/16 to 1/4 thick. That is all that is available to me (so far) on this side of the island. I do have the construction foam at Home depot in varying thickness' but love what is being done with the foam board.

Mahalo nui loa!

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
Thanks guys! I do have one question.... Is anyone familiar with the foam board sold at Ben Franklin craft stores? Large sheets that look about 3/16 to 1/4 thick. That is all that is available to me (so far) on this side of the island. I do have the construction foam at Home depot in varying thickness' but love what is being done with the foam board.

Mahalo nui loa!

Can't help you with local info, unfortunately. I'm in Ecuador! But the best way to find out is to try! Most types of foam should work if they're not overly heavy or flexible.

Royall

I'll give it a go then.... got some foam boards, glue, and a glue gun.... Next thing, where do they hide the "free" plans for the planes? I'd like to build the racer but can't find the plans! LOL!!

RoyBro

Mentor
The articles with the scratch build videos usually contain links to the pdf plans. The plans are either full page (for plotters) or tiled for printing on letter sized sheets.

Welcome and enjoy.

Royall

Mahalo RoyBro. I did see some of those links.... I sure would be easier if all the plans were listed in one place. THEN have links to the video.

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
Royall how has your ben franklin foam worked out? I haven't seen a ben franklin for quite a few yrs. We both have a lot in common as I'm 65 and forced retierment from over the road trucking. I started out with glow plug control line planes then onto rc with a hobby lobby 4 ch. and then a 6 ch kraft. Then like you life started and now 42 yrs. later am starting again. I started my first entry with a scratch build old fogey. I might have been in the air faster with an rtf but I wanted equiptment that I could move from plane to plane and not be stuck with equiptment that I would outgrow to soon. Now don't hurt yourself laughing but i got the hk 6ch as I didn't want to mess with a computer as we don't get along that well. I just got all my parts yesterday and will start getting the electronics in soon and as soon as the weather clears up I hope to be out taxing around and doing straight line take off and landings to relearn all over again. I have not been able to find out what the TOTAL weight should be with all electronics as I used to build heavy and mine has come out at an even 1lbs. (459 grams) and my motor is set up for 569grams of thrust so we will see if it will fly.

Royall

Way cool Ron! Hope it all comes back to you! I'm still waiting on a package of T60 connectors so I can wire up the ESC. Once I've done that then I can start putting the electronics into the little plane that I built. Been busy so I haven't added the servos or motor until I have everything here. I don't even remember how much my plane weighs! The foam board from Ben Franks is a little harder to work with than the stuff from $tree. I'm guessing here since we don't have $tree here. When you try to clean the foam out of the fold when doing an "a" or "b" fold is harder. Might be a bit heavier too. The plane I've built is this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyCyw0Ogtig Just looks more like a trainer to me than what FliteTest is doing. I will eventually build the Versa wing as I'm fascinated with the looks of the wing. Stay in touch Ron!!

Ron B

Royall I watched the build videos on your plane and looks good for a trainer. It looked as though it had a ton of power and you may want to start out with about 3/4 throttle so it flies a little slower and gives you more reaction time. I will suggest you try to make an easier access to your batt. and watch out that all your wires don't get into your servo arms. Need photo at least video if you can. I can't video so I know how that goes.

Royall

I've got a 1000 KV motor coming and do have a 1100KV too. Don't have any way to video either. There is another trainer type that I'm looking at too. You can see it at Mikeysrc.com.... Just a very BASIC thing that looks to be a real slow flier. Lots of options out there!

NewZee

Way cool Ron! Hope it all comes back to you! I'm still waiting on a package of T60 connectors so I can wire up the ESC. Once I've done that then I can start putting the electronics into the little plane that I built. Been busy so I haven't added the servos or motor until I have everything here. I don't even remember how much my plane weighs! The foam board from Ben Franks is a little harder to work with than the stuff from $tree. I'm guessing here since we don't have $tree here. When you try to clean the foam out of the fold when doing an "a" or "b" fold is harder. Might be a bit heavier too. The plane I've built is this one. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyCyw0Ogtig Just looks more like a trainer to me than what FliteTest is doing. I will eventually build the Versa wing as I'm fascinated with the looks of the wing. Stay in touch Ron!!

thanks for sharing this link, I've been looking for a plane to build for my granson, and this might be the one. have you flown it yet?

Royall

NewZee, Wish I had someone here to teach me how to fly!! No, I haven't added any electrics to the plane yet.... still waiting for the T-60's I am going to put that plane on hold for a while. I want to build this one first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7aLsigvxw It is a slower flying plane than the one you are looking at and slow is GOOD for this old guy! It is a very strait forward build. and should be easy to see when up in the air. Hope you and your grandson have fun flying! Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all that are posting on this little forum!!

NewZee

NewZee, Wish I had someone here to teach me how to fly!! No, I haven't added any electrics to the plane yet.... still waiting for the T-60's I am going to put that plane on hold for a while. I want to build this one first. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz7aLsigvxw It is a slower flying plane than the one you are looking at and slow is GOOD for this old guy! It is a very strait forward build. and should be easy to see when up in the air. Hope you and your grandson have fun flying! Merry Christmas to you and your family and to all that are posting on this little forum!!

Another nice beginner plane, thanks, I just am learning myself (you can teach an old dog new tricks)! And like you have no mentor except the great folks on this forum. You are doing it right, start with an easy to fly, cheap, rebuildable plane, set the control surfaces at low throws, and pick a calm day! don't be afraid to crash, The building and re-building is half the fun.

I started with the FT spitfire, and quickly went to a scratch built trainer (Cub), and then the FT Old Fogey! The Fogey is by far the easiest to fly, and very forgiving, it has given me those much needed minutes in the air!

One of the best investments I made was in a better radio (I chose the Spectrum DX6i) it gives me the ability to program dual rates and expos, and will grow with me as i add a few more channels, or perhaps elevator/alerion mixing (Elevons) for jets or wings.

I also will get a RealFligt (basic) simulator for Christmas That I'll practice on a lot with my grandson over the winter!

Merry Christmas to you and your family as well! and good luck on your first flights!

Ron B

I was thinking of doing some thing along the same lines as a lot of my control line planes were profile's as they were quicker to build and easier to repair. I was thinking of doing a profile of the old fogey just to see how it would do.

Royall

Ron, the trainer from Mickeys was fast to cut out and build. Watch the youtube of it. I'm sure you'll get some good ideas to use on a down and dirty, crash and burn trainer!

Stay in touch...