Help! New pilot new builder

dodgebob

So I'm building my first plane . It's a simple cub . I am at the point where the servos get glued into the fuselage. I don't have a tx/ rx yet and I'm concerned about centering the servos. I don't have that slick little Gizmo to center them. I know where the servo is to be glued . Should I wait until I get my radio ? Should I glue them in and leave the screw loose to readjust it later? If you turn the servo end to end is the center point the center point? Do servos come from the factory placed in the center of the the throw?
So it's going to be a 3 channel plane to start . I'm worried that, without alirons it will not want to fly level. I have the b- power pack.i can easily mount the servos and cut the wing . I will be buying the radio in a couple of weeks . A dxe spectrum 4 channel I think what the man said . I have played on an airplane sim and to me it feels easier with the ailerons. What to do ???? 3 or 4 channel? Servo centering best practices???

Thanks everybody
Bob

I haven't built the cub yet, but it looks, from the video, that you can put the servos in at the end of the build. Personally I would wait until you can make certain that the servos are centered. It will be easier to do the process outside of the plane. Also, unless you are planning on using linkage stoppers (handy but not at all necessary in this plane), you need to have the servos centered when you glue them down in order to have a properly neutral control surface. So I say wait. It really isn't worth possibly messing something up. I hope that helps.

evranch

You could get away with mounting them now if you have linkage stoppers or clevis ends. But why bother? Just wait to get your radio. I know you want to finish the plane, maybe paint or decal it while you wait for your transmitter... but then you will just have to go back in to mess with the servos.

If you have a friend who flies or a local club you could take your servos over and plug them into a receiver and get them all centered that way. They will stay put as long as you don't twist them too hard.

If you have flown a simulator there's no reason not to hook up the ailerons. You can always leave the stick in the center or use it to trim for roll. It's also better for your skill development, to have the rudder on the left stick where it belongs.

Paracodespoder

Elite member
If you plan on being in the hobby for awhile and getting more advanced planes, I suggest a better transmitter than the dxe. I started on one and while it worked great for my first few planes, I quickly outgrew it, also it’s very finicky to program it through a mobile device, haven’t tried a pc though. Good luck with the build and maiden, and most important of all, have fun :) (it’s hard not to have fun in this hobby!).

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
Buy a simple servo tester, they allow you to centre the servos, then hook it up to either the ESC BEC if you have batteries etc or to 4 AA cells. That allows you to centre the servos accurately without needing a TX. Then when your radio is bought you just feed all the electronics through the nose and get it set up to fly, as the rest of the airframe can be completely finished. You can test all the controls with just the tester. Mine was $8.
I would build it 4 channel. You can always dial in super low aileron rates for your first few flights, I did that with my TT and it was a big help.
There’s lots of good reasons not to buy the DXE, I would look for a second hand TX that’s better, ideally with a screen that lets you see what changes you are making without needing the app. You also don’t need to get Spektrum to get flying, there’s lots of alternatives under $100 new that are as good and in some cases better. The only reason to get Spektrum straight off is if you have a friend who will buddy box you and they have Spektrum.