NEW PLANES!!!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
There is always a price, it's just how much is paid and how it is spread. With plans, it can take longer but it is definitely cheaper. Consider the fact that the simple stick is available on the store, and not as plans. However, I know that they do exist, just that it has not been released yet. When I say "The spirit of flite test", I mean that they did not for their own pockets, but for the good of the hobby. Now, I feel like they are getting greedy and become what they originally wanted to be an alternative to.

Would it be "good for the hobby" if flite test was to stop existing?

Battery800

Elite member
Would it be "good for the hobby" if flite test was to stop existing?
well I'm not saying that flite test is bad, but I am sure that many more people would prefer to buy the supplies themselves at the local dollar tree than only having the option to pay for a laser cut kit.

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
little bummed. not sure if there is any real damage but did take pics and send to FT...

20210615_175433.jpg

20210615_175547.jpg

20210615_175559.jpg

power pack looks nice but needs to be secured better in the shipping box.

20210615_180029.jpg

@Rasterize is swinging by tomorrow to check it out and we will see what the actual damage is. cross fingers.

laters,

me :cool:

FlyerInStyle

Elite member

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
ok, so if you haven't had a chance to tackle one of the "new" builds a couple things;

1- the new symbols are pretty self explanatory, except for a few. it is very easy to sort the pieces into group and figure out the order, problem is when it comes to assembling all the smaller pieces into 1 plane.

2- there is NO build video for the new stuff yet and may never be, at least not that i can find. in the kit they give you a number to text to "get build video and future updates" but it does nothing but give you the A-10 intro video from Josh and then the playlist for the new symbols. this is an issue as there are multiple pieces that quite clearly have a "watch video" warning on them but no idea what video i am supposed to watch?

20210628_154438.jpg

3- that leads us to the main issue of not really knowing where to go next. i have parts assembled but what order do i start to put them all together? i really need the big picture to move forward.

i have spoken to @Rasterize who now "officially" works for John and informed him of my issues and a simple solution to solve them without having to do a build video for every plane. cross fingers they either get us some more info soon, or they start making the videos again.

i appreciate that FT is trying to move forward and push the boundaries, it would just be nice if they communicated the plan a little better (or at all) to their people. it once again kinda seems they got the cart out in front of the horse.

laters,

CappyAmeric

Elite member
... there is NO build video for the new stuff yet and may never be, at least not that i can find. in the kit they give you a number to text to "get build video and future updates" but it does nothing but give you the A-10 intro video from Josh and then the playlist for the new symbols. this is an issue as there are multiple pieces that quite clearly have a "watch video" warning on them but no idea what video i am supposed to watch?

There is a video playlist for the A-10 as well as the F6F. It is simply that the repeated items that appear in every previous build video (eg, how to install servos, how to do a bevel cut, etc.) are broken out into a series of mini clips in the build video playlist to avoid repeated instructions. In the model release, both Josh and John mentioned that they would be using playlists for model build instructions - with a unique features model video if needed - when there is a video icon on a part, it will be detailed in the unique features video in the model's build playlist.

A hint is always open the videos in YouTube so you can see the playlists better.

When you click the link in the Flite Test Store for the A-10 build video it goes to the Intro and if you look the intro video is just part of a long playlist labelled "A-10 MASTER SERIES" playlist. The A-10 unique features video (part of the build playlist) is over 1 hour long at the end of the playlist, so it is all there - and also linked from the store.:

The F6F build playlist is also a linked from the Flite Test Store. Part of the playlist is a build video for unique items for the F6F, almost 1.5 hours long.

Last edited:

Test Fly RC

Elite member
ok, so if you haven't had a chance to tackle one of the "new" builds a couple things;

1- the new symbols are pretty self explanatory, except for a few. it is very easy to sort the pieces into group and figure out the order, problem is when it comes to assembling all the smaller pieces into 1 plane.

2- there is NO build video for the new stuff yet and may never be, at least not that i can find. in the kit they give you a number to text to "get build video and future updates" but it does nothing but give you the A-10 intro video from Josh and then the playlist for the new symbols. this is an issue as there are multiple pieces that quite clearly have a "watch video" warning on them but no idea what video i am supposed to watch?

View attachment 202602

3- that leads us to the main issue of not really knowing where to go next. i have parts assembled but what order do i start to put them all together? i really need the big picture to move forward.

i have spoken to @Rasterize who now "officially" works for John and informed him of my issues and a simple solution to solve them without having to do a build video for every plane. cross fingers they either get us some more info soon, or they start making the videos again.

i appreciate that FT is trying to move forward and push the boundaries, it would just be nice if they communicated the plan a little better (or at all) to their people. it once again kinda seems they got the cart out in front of the horse.

laters,

@CappyAmeric already mentioned some of this:
A-10 Unique features build video:

A-10 wing build video segments time stamped:

A-10 mid-section build segment time stamped:
https://youtu.be/ZpyMgXB_heg?t=498

A-10 v-stab and h-stab build segment time stamped:
https://youtu.be/yqEjLuA558E?t=784

A-10 canopy install build segment time stamped:
https://youtu.be/OxYRXfp32v4?t=212

Last edited:

Test Fly RC

Elite member

View attachment 202602

laters,

Here's some pic's of my partly finished MS A-10:
I don't remember seeing a A-10 front nose build segment in the playlist, so
Here's some pictures of part of the front nose with the magnets:
IMG_3422.JPG

IMG_3421.JPG
IMG_3423.JPG
Some more pictures of my MS A-10:
IMG_3418.JPG

IMG_3417.JPG

IMG_3419.JPG

IMG_3420.JPG

Not a perfect build, but this is my first FT MS airplane to build, O wait I'm not done building it yet:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
thanks guys. i have seen all the "symbols" videos but had not seen the "unique features" videos. that should hopefully solve my problems. i wanna get this built and off the table. i figured i was missing something.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
well I'm not saying that flite test is bad, but I am sure that many more people would prefer to buy the supplies themselves at the local dollar tree than only having the option to pay for a laser cut kit.
The main issue with the free build plans is that other companies and individuals have been using them to sell their own kits, often times with lower quality materials. These same companies and individuals are referencing the Flite Test build videos as well. People who are purchasing these black market sub-standard kits are also calling Flite Test support to get help with issues they are having for a product that they did not purchase from Flite Test. Bad all the way around.
Flite Test is already working on a way to still make the plans available for people who prefer to build that way vs. buying a SBK. In the latest FTCA video Josh, Lee and David talked about this. One of the perks for joining the FTCA will include access to the plans. We will probably understand what that will look like a little better when the FTCA re-launch happen on July 1, 2021.

Splinter189

Master member

View attachment 202602

laters,

I didnt have time to read thru all the follow up posts but Here is a link to the A10 build playlist.

Generally speaking master series aircraft consist of sub-assemblies that include the nose, tail, mid-section, main wing, etc etc. These sub assemblies go together in similar fashion regardless of the aircraft type.

The sub-assembly videos show where to start each part and how to progress based on the mapping.

Once the sub-assemblies are done, the playlist will include instructions on combining the sub-assemblies.

Once the basics are understood, its unlikely the videos will have to be watched again.

The last video in the playlist is the unique features video that covers anything that isn't covered by the basics and beyond videos.

Last edited:

mrjdstewart

Legendary member
sooo glad you guy's showed me the video. w/o, this would have been less fun. :LOL:

with that said, you still kinda got to jump from 1 video to another and it takes time. i have watched them but not memorized them so i have to jump between "unique features" vids and the "symbols" videos. sure this is part of the learning curve and worth the effort but i spent several hours yesterday and still have many to go.

20210629_190011.jpg

she is not a light girl, and def gonna be worthy of the warthog name. as is, it is already 330g!

i need to get some spackle to smooth out some of the lines, plus need to grab some paint but hope to have plane finished building by tonight.

laters,