New Podcast Episode #213: Planes, Plans and Problems

alan0043

This is great.
To actually hear them explaining all of this...
Some pics of the tutor would be great.

Hi Everyone,

I was one of the lucky ones to get a chance to fly ' The Tutor ' on Thursday night. A group of OG ( old greezers ) get together on Thursday nights at Edgewater. I was in the right place at the right time. I told Josh that I knew the plane was not a cub but it looks cool to me. He was telling me some of his thoughts when designing the plane as I was flying it. I am a 71 year old rookie pilot. I told Josh when this plane comes out, I will buy a speed built kit for sure. I think you guys will like the looks of this plane also. :cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
We are working on it Bill. We are tight on bandwidth right now, and until we get some editing help we are limited in what we are able to do. Noah is doing a great job, but he’s only one person.
I promise, it will happen.

Oh I wasn't hounding you guys over getting them in video form. I was just using that as an example WHY I wanted them back hehe.

Cheesecake

It is so good to have y'all back on the podcast. Now I have something to listen to again on my drive to work.

I do have a question though seeing as there will be a Q&A:

Will there be build videos out for all of the master series planes?

I just purchased the F-16 and though there is PDF Instructions AND I have watched all of the videos explaining the icons, I still think the build video is extremely helpful. Especially since the PDF instructions do have some typos, and are a bit hard to follow even with photos.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
It is so good to have y'all back on the podcast. Now I have something to listen to again on my drive to work.

I just purchased the F-16 and though there is PDF Instructions AND I have watched all of the videos explaining the icons, I still think the build video is extremely helpful. Especially since the PDF instructions do have some typos, and are a bit hard to follow even with photos.
agreed... they really need to bring back the build videos... it saves time, and difficulty trying to figure it out... and it makes for happy builders..

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
agreed... they really need to bring back the build videos... it saves time, and difficulty trying to figure it out... and it makes for happy builders..

To my knowledge the only thing that doesn't have build videos is the master series and they have markings that tell how to connect things together. and for those there is a play list that covers all the markings and a video that covers anything special related to that plane.

The only ones that I think they don't do that for are some of the limited releases

Either way, my understanding is that the MS are for people who have already built a few foamies the FT way and want to move on to something more complicated, there is a basic level of experience in building assumed. The MS does appear to be targeting people who want a build challenge over 'quick and easy to the air'.

Matthewdupreez

Legendary member
To my knowledge the only thing that doesn't have build videos is the master series and they have markings that tell how to connect things together. and for those there is a play list that covers all the markings and a video that covers anything special related to that plane.

The only ones that I think they don't do that for are some of the limited releases

Either way, my understanding is that the MS are for people who have already built a few foamies the FT way and want to move on to something more complicated, there is a basic level of experience in building assumed. The MS does appear to be targeting people who want a build challenge over 'quick and easy to the air'.
agreed... but there have been quite a few people who have built a couple of ms birds before.. and they also said that it is kinda hard to figure out all the parts

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
agreed... but there have been quite a few people who have built a couple of ms birds before.. and they also said that it is kinda hard to figure out all the parts
/shrug

by quite a few do you mean a very vocal few?

Unfortunately making full build videos for something like that is going to take a good chunk of time (which means raising the prices of the planes to cover that cost or not being able to cover the cost, which means no plane) and, to my understanding, more people who are building them already have enough build experience to be building them, don't want to have to slog through a 4-6 hour build video to find the 1 or 2 small bits that are unique about the build.

Whenever evalutating something like this, one needs to look at the over all indented market, not just the small minority that can be very vocal about things not being exactly the way they want it to be (you can't please everyone, nor should you try).

Marzipan

could be they need to bring on more staff...with everything going on, they might be running out of bandwidth. :(

...or volunteers.

FTCA Director

Lee Kachner
Admin

The Limited Series does not have videos, that is one of the features of the Limited Series.

Cheesecake

The Limited Series does not have videos, that is one of the features of the Limited Series.

Ha, that sounds like something my programmers would say where I work. A lack of something that would help the consumer is a feature... BUT I get it. Videos take a lot of time to do and effort. If i wanted it to be easy, I would of bought something else. Keep up the good work. John/Josh are coming out with some beautiful planes, I'm excited for what is to come.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Life is full of choices.

1. Early release of “Limited Series” kits designed for experienced builders - with 48+ pages of PDF instructions.

Or…

2. No “Limited Series” kits.

I vote #1.

CappyAmeric

Elite member
that does not sound like a feature...more like a drawback as with no video it doesn't have as much to engage pilots and encourage purchases.
LOL, how about AN AWESOME kit to build? I think the Limited Series are great because the designs are top notch, and personally, I like the PDF plans (I get tired of YouTube interrupting for commercials as you scroll around a build video).

As for "engaging pilots"... in case you forgot, FT has a YouTube channel with excellent new content every week.

Flightspeed

Convicted Necroposter
If you don’t want to watch ads download the video, no waiting for it to load then too.
LOL, how about AN AWESOME kit to build? I think the Limited Series are great because the designs are top notch, and personally, I like the PDF plans (I get tired of YouTube interrupting for commercials as you scroll around a build video).

As for "engaging pilots"... in case you forgot, FT has a YouTube channel with excellent new content every week.

Marzipan

you can also get ad-free YouTube with a monthly subscription. you can create a family account and add up to 4 profiles I believe. makes for some frustration free watching :)