New project for fun Bell X-1

jfaleo1

Well I started a new project to distract me from some of my current issues on the last Quinjet build.
Many years ago I was building a balsa air dropped glider of the Bell X-1rocket plane that first "broke the sound barrier", it was never finished so I am starting anew. I am attaching the 3 view I started with and my Rev. 0 plan. Even as I write this I have made changes so no-one should go off trying to work from these rough plans yet, LOL. The plan is for a 50mm EDF (3s version since I have one on hand), aileron and elevator control, hand launch and a fairly high wing loading. spar will either be BBQ skewer, or carbon arrow shaft, however if I don't like those I have some flat carbon as well. vertical will be doubled up and profiled to shape Horizontal will also likely be doubled up and airfoiled. I will add that I included the side view on the plan for ref only as I will be rolling a round fuselage, and primary intake will be the "windscreen" which I will make ou of some screen door screen. it will likely nee a cheater hole though.
X1 3 view.jpg

Attachments

• alpha.pdf
    17 KB · Views: 0

jfaleo1

I will get some photos going later. Went with skewer for spar, also went to single thick tail parts for now. fuselage is proving "fun", going with lightly rolled planks on fuselage but may end up scrapping whole fuselage (or everything) and starting over at this point. I may even carve the fuselage out of foam, or go with an octagon. Ah who knows late nights (and rum and cokes) make for bad decisions;)