Help! New receiver/esc - servos won't move, but throttle works

Gerald99

Hi:
I have new Flysky FS-iX6 / FS0iA10B combination, which I'm trying to hook up to the ESC that comes with the Power Pack B (35A)
When I power things up, the receiver powers up, and I can use the throttle on the transmitter to control the ESC and the motor. But, none of the other servos will move at all.
I've attached a photo of my setup.
Have I connected things properly? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Gerald

Attachments

• 20220506_091304[1].jpg
    20220506_091304[1].jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220506_091520[1].jpg
    20220506_091520[1].jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

quorneng

Master member
What channels on the transmitter are used by the transmitter sticks? I assume the throttie is on channel 2.
Each servo is normally connected to the approriate channel on the receiver.
You appear to have one servo on the PPM channel and the other of the +/- power feed slot.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Hi:
I have new Flysky FS-iX6 / FS0iA10B combination, which I'm trying to hook up to the ESC that comes with the Power Pack B (35A)
When I power things up, the receiver powers up, and I can use the throttle on the transmitter to control the ESC and the motor. But, none of the other servos will move at all.
I've attached a photo of my setup.
Have I connected things properly? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Gerald
You blew your servos. That JST connector is not needed and all you did is connect the battery to the servos, the only reason the ESC still works is because the voltage did not make it into its port, if you are VERY lucky, just unplugging the JST connector will fix it, else just unplug it and buy new servos

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
What channels on the transmitter are used by the transmitter sticks? I assume the throttie is on channel 2.
Each servo is normally connected to the approriate channel on the receiver.
You appear to have one servo on the PPM channel and the other of the +/- power feed slot.
The PPM channel is channel 1 but when you switch it to PPM mode it changes to PPM for all of the channels.

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Everything on that circuit is hooked up perfectly, except he also put the JST in there, the red connector is connected straight to the battery and put a very high voltage on the servos, which blew them.
I use FlySky myself and I know from experience that putting too high voltage on the power port will blow your servos every time

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...But, none of the other servos will move at all...
FlySky is AETR, the throttle should be on channel 3. I think I agree with @KN4IUU, the servos may be lost. It's possible the BEC on the ESC is shot also.

You should not have used the red plug. It's for FPV or LED lights for night flying. Try unhooking it and see what still works.

What was the voltage of the battery you used, 2S or was it more?

Gerald99

Everything on that circuit is hooked up perfectly, except he also put the JST in there, the red connector is connected straight to the battery and put a very high voltage on the servos, which blew them.
I use FlySky myself and I know from experience that putting too high voltage on the power port will blow your servos every time

Thanks, everyone.
Since I had no documentation for the ESC, I'd assumed that this was the BEC.
So, where does the receiver get its power from?
Do I have to use another battery, or get some sort of 5V regulator to take the battery voltage down to something acceptable?

Gerald

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...So, where does the receiver get its power from?...
It comes from the BEC, battery elimination circuit, which is built into the ESC that you have.

Not all ESC's have BEC's, the ones for quads will not.

Gerald99

Ok. I did some further testing.
I took out the red lead, and tested it with a voltmeter - 12.4V. Definitely enough to fry a servo!
Since there were no other leads from the ESC, I tried just plugging in the lead from the ESC into channel 3, throttle.
As it still worked, I tried a fresh servo, and that worked as well!
Is this a normal setup? To get receiver power through the throttle cable?

Is there documentation anywhere on this ESC?

Oh, well: learning, as usual, has its price!

Tench745

Master member
Is this a normal setup? To get receiver power through the throttle cable?

Oh, well: learning, as usual, has its price!
Yes, when running an ESC with an internal BEC it powers the receiver through the regular servo plug, all it needs to do is supply enough power to run the RC and the servos. No need to plug anything else in.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...To get receiver power through the throttle cable...
Check the amp limit of yourBEC, they typically run in the 3-5 amp range. A typical 9g servo draws .75 amps. With a 3A BEC, 4 servos is the limit. Some will get by with more servos, they just don't use all of them at the same time.

Gerald99

Thanks!
Unfortunately, the model I'm building needs six channels.
What are my options?
Please let me know if this information is elsewhere, like a sticky, or if I should be creating a new thread for this...

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
Thanks!
Unfortunately, the model I'm building needs six channels.
What are my options?
Please let me know if this information is elsewhere, like a sticky, or if I should be creating a new thread for this...
I have been able to use up to 8 servos off of a 3a BEC, as long as they do not all move at the same time you are good

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...What are my options...
I agree with @KN4IUU, if you don’t use more than 4 of them at the same time, it will work. It also depends on how you fly. If you are gently cruising around, the amp draw from the servos will be low. If you are banging the sticks or flying very fast, the amp draw will be much higher. Just be aware of the limitations.

If you want to be conservative, use an ESC with a 5 amp BEC or use a separate 5 amp power converter. If you use a separate converter, you must unhook the red wire from the ESC. If not, the separate circuits will end up fighting each other. One will call for a slightly higher voltage and the other lower. Make sure you only use 1 power source. On the Rx all of the positive pins are connected to each other and all of the negative pins are connected. Only the signal pins are separate.

Last edited: