New style plans ie FT Explorer

ghebner

I am absolutely in love with the new style plans. Clean, easy to piece together, part names with model they go on, etc. The issue that i have a question on is the New FT Explorer plans only contain one half of each wing type. I only have a Mac and Linux computers and am unable to figure out how to print the mirror wing so i can cut and build it.
Help?

Topdawg

Once it is printed out, just flip the piece over and trace it onto the foam. Sp0nz has a great write up on how he glues the plans to poster board. It is what I use and works great

Here is the link to that Article.

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I am absolutely in love with the new style plans. Clean, easy to piece together, part names with model they go on, etc. The issue that i have a question on is the New FT Explorer plans only contain one half of each wing type. I only have a Mac and Linux computers and am unable to figure out how to print the mirror wing so i can cut and build it.
Help?

Thanks. A lot of time and effort went into creating the new format. A lot of this has been driven by community feedback.

There have been a few people commenting about the mirrored parts. I'm on the fence about whether or not I should add the mirrored and duplicated parts to the plans. As Topdawg has already pointed out, the intention is to use the same pattern for both halves. Simply flip the template over for the other wing. The article that I wrote (thanks for linking it Topdawg) is a great way to make a template if you plan to make more than one or may need to replace some parts. Since writing that article, I have also started printing directly to 110# card stock. Makes creating more permanent templates a lot easier and quicker. No need to spray glue them to the poster board with that method.

Hope that helps, and thanks for the feedback.

I for one would prefer that they are included , we don't typically go the trace the template route. We taped the tiled pieces together and tape the paper to the foam and cut on the lines. I get the whole spare parts thing though, just haven't done it yet. My frustration with it last time was that I didn't realize it until after I got home and the printer I use is at work. Nothing a little patience and 5 minutes in Inkscape won't fix in the future.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
I for one would prefer that they are included , we don't typically go the trace the template route. We taped the tiled pieces together and tape the paper to the foam and cut on the lines. I get the whole spare parts thing though, just haven't done it yet. My frustration with it last time was that I didn't realize it until after I got home and the printer I use is at work. Nothing a little patience and 5 minutes in Inkscape won't fix in the future.

Even with that method, once you've cut out the piece, you can use that as a template to trace out/cut out the next mirrored part...

Even with that method, once you've cut out the piece, you can use that as a template to trace out/cut out the next mirrored part...

That's true , I just don't prefer tracing . Just a preference on my part. I truly appreciate the hard work Sponz puts into the plans . And like I said , nothing a little more patience on my part won't solve. I certainly don't want to sound ungrateful, FT has made flying RC economically feasible for my boys and I. I really am thankful for all they do.

Wolfgang1402

Hello Dan
First many thanks for the redesigned plans, they are SUPER !!
I would like to build an FT Explorer in reduzierter size.
(As big as the FT Tiny Trainer) 0 FT Tiny Explorer :D
Can you please help me to downsize the plans?
Many thanks
Best Regards Wolfgang
Ps. Sorry for my english, I'm German

Capt_Beavis

Posted a thousand or more times
Wolfgang, it may be best to take the plans to a print shop or scale them yourself (maybe Adobe Reader X).