New Thick Foam Airplanes

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
These 185% thick foam planes are going to be nice. A lot of them will be begging for a removable wing mod. I look forward to seeing how this is handled.

kdobson83

These 185% thick foam planes are going to be nice. A lot of them will be begging for a removable wing mod. I look forward to seeing how this is handled.
Well, a lot of the FT planes already have removeable wings like the Explorer, Cub, Guinea Pig, and even the Spitfire. But I'm not sure the guys will redisign the planes for the thicker foam. My money is on that they say that you'd have to mod it yourself. Heck, they never even finished redisigning the the few planes they said they were going to like the p-51. Not to mention even release other planes like the p-39 they've had in the background of the last few videos or the infamous Shinden they said they were gonna bring out 3 years ago and then again a year ago... Lol

Anyway, long story short, I wouldn't hold my breath for redesigns any time soon.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Well, a lot of the FT planes already have removeable wings like the Explorer, Cub, Guinea Pig, and even the Spitfire. But I'm not sure the guys will redisign the planes for the thicker foam. My money is on that they say that you'd have to mod it yourself. Heck, they never even finished redisigning the the few planes they said they were going to like the p-51. Not to mention even release other planes like the p-39 they've had in the background of the last few videos or the infamous Shinden they said they were gonna bring out 3 years ago and then again a year ago... Lol

Anyway, long story short, I wouldn't hold my breath for redesigns any time soon.
I meant by the community. I anxiously await them 😎

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
If you listened to the video all you have to do is scale the plane up 185%. That's it. No change with the new thicker foam. That's how I understood it from the video. With the regular foam you have to adjust the fold thickness when you scale the plans up. The only thing I can think of that will require a little change is how the spars in the wing are reinforced on some of the planes. You might have to add a paint stick to add some "oomph" to the stiffness of the wing.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
If you listened to the video all you have to do is scale the plane up 185%. That's it. No change with the new thicker foam. That's how I understood it from the video. With the regular foam you have to adjust the fold thickness when you scale the plans up. The only thing I can think of that will require a little change is how the spars in the wing are reinforced on some of the planes. You might have to add a paint stick to add some "oomph" to the stiffness of the wing.

That's exactly how it's supposed to work. The thicker foam is 1.85 times as thick as the regular stuff, so blowing any design up by that amount should work without adjusting any measurements.

kdobson83

Well, the thing is, a 185% FT cruiser or P51 is going to be big. We're talking 5+ foot wingspans depending on the model you chose to make. Try transporting a 185% FT design with a 5+foot wingspan without a removeable wing. Lol I think that he meant turning a non removeable wing FT design into a removeable wing design. I agree, everything thing else tho, should be the same.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Well, the thing is, a 185% FT cruiser or P51 is going to be big. We're talking 5+ foot wingspans depending on the model you chose to make. Try transporting a 185% FT design with a 5+foot wingspan without a removeable wing. Lol I think that he meant turning a non removeable wing FT design into a removeable wing design. I agree, everything thing else tho, should be the same.

I ran the numbers on a bunch of FT planes, the Bushwacker is the most likely one for me to build, at roughly the same wingspan as my Carbon Z Cessna 150. Giant scale bush planes just appeal to me.

kdobson83

I ran the numbers on a bunch of FT planes, the Bushwacker is the most likely one for me to build, at roughly the same wingspan as my Carbon Z Cessna 150. Giant scale bush planes just appeal to me.
I want a good store bought bush plane. The park I fly at is inconsistent at best at cutting grass. I was looking at the Tundra. Has been around long enough I can get it for under $200, has all the kinks worked out, and comes with floats. I was thinking about building the FT legacy fpr these reasons (minus floats) but with the new foam board I coming the Bushwacker is definitely on the list of possibilities!

jaredstrees

I want a good store bought bush plane. The park I fly at is inconsistent at best at cutting grass. I was looking at the Tundra. Has been around long enough I can get it for under $200, has all the kinks worked out, and comes with floats. I was thinking about building the FT legacy fpr these reasons (minus floats) but with the new foam board I coming the Bushwacker is definitely on the list of possibilities!
I love my tundra. Not the quickest or most agile, but great for rough fields and takes of in no time. Mine is going to get a power upgrade soon, but have had great luck with her.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob

A lot of my latest builds are 5' wing-spans (two sheets wide)... and detaching wings will be nice, but I'm guessing the way to do it is to have removable wing halves... then we can make 10' winged planes. :oops:

wait... I think I could do that now, we don't HAVE to wait.... is this another self imposed challenge...

Maybe it's Giant Scale build Challenge:
Prior to the thick foam, Make a plane with a 10' wingspan... No... (yes) no. although I am looking to build a Giant-scale foamy. anyone know of one here? (besides the H-4 Hercules.)

Arcfyre

Elite member
A lot of my latest builds are 5' wing-spans (two sheets wide)... and detaching wings will be nice, but I'm guessing the way to do it is to have removable wing halves... then we can make 10' winged planes. :oops:

wait... I think I could do that now, we don't HAVE to wait.... is this another self imposed challenge...

Maybe it's Giant Scale build Challenge:
Prior to the thick foam, Make a plane with a 10' wingspan... No... (yes) no. although I am looking to build a Giant-scale foamy. anyone know of one here? (besides the H-4 Hercules.)

Not quite 10' but getting pretty close. Check out my soarer mod:

https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/soarer-xxl.55569/

Headbang

Master member
I was planning on doing it the same as on my giant scale balsa planes. Carbon fiber wing tube, a few ply ribs. Solves the wing spar issue and transport all in one. I really want to build a modified giant sea duck with a symmetrical wing , enlarged control surfaces, and a couple 1500-2100w motors. Initial calculations put it in at around 12lb with batteries. The thicker foam will save the wieght of the glue you would use to double up 5mm board.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
You can find a somewhat simple method of making removable wings of reasonable strength on the following thread;
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/my-backpack-wing-v1.37110/
I took a Look, and I will be trying it out.
Not quite 10' but getting pretty close. Check out my soarer mod:
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/soarer-xxl.55569/
What did you do for a spar? and what types of maneuvers did you put it through, if any? (I'm not sure I would)

I suppose with the larger foam, comes a larger motor pod class right? and with that a whole motor set. will the new C-pack be 15" agricultural drone class motors? (open the pocket book a little wider folks)
or will we double up like the A-10? Either way I'm excited... trick is getting the shipping down.

quorneng

Master member
Big span and high aspect ratio can be done in foam. My 80" scale Glasflugel Libelle.
CompleteA.JPG

All 3 mm Depron. The wing is in one piece with balsa spar flanges and is in one piece but removable (bolted) from the fuselage.
And it could be looped - with care! ;)

Arcfyre

Elite member
I took a Look, and I will be trying it out.

What did you do for a spar? and what types of maneuvers did you put it through, if any? (I'm not sure I would)

I suppose with the larger foam, comes a larger motor pod class right? and with that a whole motor set. will the new C-pack be 15" agricultural drone class motors? (open the pocket book a little wider folks)
or will we double up like the A-10? Either way I'm excited... trick is getting the shipping down.

Still just a foam spar. Its been holding together really well so far, I have probably 40 takeoffs and landings on it total. As for maneuvers, I take it pretty easy. I have other birds I can use to bore holes in the sky. ;)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose

Yup. Thats the thing. Modifying for a removable wing.

Bob A

I had to look back almost four years, but if you will check out the following episode, paying attention to Josh Bix's Cruiser, you will find an excellent idea for removable wings!

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/monster-build-tips

I made a mistake in the above, now corrected. The "build tips" will answer questions about removable wings.
Bob

Last edited:

Brett_N

Get the new Timber3D. Has more capabilities than the tundra so you won't get bored with it as fast.

The bushwacker in it's existing (normal) size is just over a meter - pretty good sized. And is a riot to fly.

Headbang

Master member
Yep timber rocks, super docile with low throws and expo, crank the throws up to full and have fun. Hover, high alpha, any sport maneuver. I use it as a buddy box trainer, then at the end of the night crank it up and go nuts.