new to balsa

erice3D

Hey guys..
I have been building, flying and crashing foam planes for 3 or 4 years now.
So I decided after I was flying more than crashing I would try Balsa...
I started with a SE5a kit it was on sale for $18 and the build and flights were great.
I found a scratch and dent p51 and ultimate bi-plane arf..

So.. I could not any scratches or dents... but the covering was wrinkled and stained
in a few spots. No big deal I can iron the wrinkles and live with stains..
The one thing I found that didn't look right to me was...
the ailerons seem to be misaligned towards the tip of the wing..
Is this a flaw and should re-align them? They are not glued in place yet.
After looking at the ultimate better I do think that one needs to be fixed
because only one is misaligned.
BUT.. is this in the design of the p51 to change aerodynamics to stop tip stalling
they are both misaligned the same..???

Attachments

• SD530234.JPG
    SD530234.JPG
    151.4 KB · Views: 109
  • SD530262.JPG
    SD530262.JPG
    113.6 KB · Views: 105
  • SD530263.JPG
    SD530263.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 106
  • SD530264.JPG
    SD530264.JPG
    120.9 KB · Views: 105

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Those colors on the SE5a really POP!

For the ailerons, it may have been intentional or it could have been on accident, but if they're both even I'd expect it to work fine and not be a problem. Can you determine what company made the P-51? The instructions or other builders should be able to shed some light on it.

erice3D

p51.jpg
Instructions are pretty vague on the manufacture.
I bought them from General hobby..
They look like copies of copies..
I searched for days to even find a video of a 900mm P51.
They are very rare.. other than hanger9 or great planes...
I don't think it is either one of them..
Thanks for compliment on the se5a. it was my first balsa.
First using covering.. Micro film..
I actually was going to start with a Herr Mini Sport..
But the se5a had WAY less parts so I figured it was better choice.
I still have to build the Mini Sport..

BobK

Banned
I believe this is the one http://www.generalhobby.com/p51d-mustang-electric-airplane-p-267.html

I think your ailerons are warped, they should line up with the wings. If there are pre-cut hinge slots try to line them up and see if they do, only thing that I can see right now is looking at the picture on the manual they look to line up with the wing, also I have never heard of control surfaces being intentionally out of line to compansate tip stalling, usually that is controlled with wash in/wash out.

Lay the ailerons out on the table and see if they lay flat. I do hope the wings are built straight :)

I would try a hair dryer on the covering that should tighten it up, if you iron it down you will have a tough time shrinking it again if you need to.

For the ailerons, it may have been intentional or it could have been on accident, but if they're both even I'd expect it to work fine and not be a problem. Can you determine what company made the P-51? The instructions or other builders should be able to shed some light on it.

Totally agree. Warping the wing, adding washout or adding wash-in in not uncommon, and as long as it's equal, it should be fine.

erice3D

SD530268.JPG

Thanks guys.. One down One to go.. I checked the wings they seem to be straight..
the ailerons were warped and the slots were cut off center.
I just heated and twisted them straight and glued and pinched the slots shut then re-cut them..
There was a little learning curve when heating the film to shrink the winkles out...
You really have to be careful around the stripes as the shrink WAY faster than the
covering underneath... Pretty is good but performance to me is better...
I don't think I will be buying any more Chinese ARF's...
I would rather spent the extra time putting them together and know everything is right.
There was some loose balsa underneath But its already covered.. I poked some holes and dripped some CA in then tapped the hole..
I hope it stays together in the air...

Last edited: