New to building quads

JustinSha

Hello I’m new to this and I would like some advise/guidance on building an FT 270, I’m new to the building aspect of it all. I do have a DJI Spark but I would like to build my next one.

I’m not sure of now exactly what parts I need and what ones will work together but for starters I guess I would need to basically know a good starting point.

I know which frame I wanna use but how do I pick which motors, pdb, esc, or flight controller ect...

Any advice or guidance would be great thank you.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The easiest way to start speccing a multirotor build is to look at what others have had success with. Generally speaking most modern components are compatible with each other, it really comes down to what you want to do and how much you want to spend. Since you know what frame you want, you know what props will work - 5 or 6". The next step is to decide on motors. For 6" I would go with something in a 2206 or 2207 size, around 2000 - 2300kV. These should work well on 3s or 4s. There is a huge variety of motors out there, so some research and shopping is in order. Once you decide on a motor, look at it's thrust chart to determine the size of ESC you will require - probably 30-35A. Again with ESC's there are quite a few choices, look for something running BLHeli_S or BLHeli32. Avoid anything with original (or EMAX) straight BLHeli and especially SimonK as these are ancient ;) Flight controllers are also quite varied, at a minimum you want an F4 processor and built in Betaflight OSD. I personally like the Bardwell F4, but there are many to choose from. With a board like that, a PDB is not required.

Joshua Bardwell has put together his 'Ultimate FPV Shopping List' which is definitely worth the time read through and help you make choices - https://www.fpvknowitall.com/ultimate-fpv-shopping-list/

Before you actually start ordering stuff, post your list here and we can give feedback to avoid any problems :)

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Or for a first build you could just go with the recommended FT power pack. Then just decide what flight controller you want by how you plan to use it.

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
Or for a first build you could just go with the recommended FT power pack. Then just decide what flight controller you want by how you plan to use it.

That was going to be my response but I couldn't find them on the store any more, looks like the E packs never made the transition.

JustinSha

I appreciate the input I’ve been reading through the website ElectriSean suggested it has been very helpful, what are the FT power pack?

ElectriSean

Eternal Student
Mentor
The DYS combo you posted looks pretty decent, though I would be cautious about running 6" tri-blades. I owuldn't run anything steeeper than 6x3x3.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
From what I understand there is a way to get to the real ft store to get items that have not crossed over yet. At least I thought I seen that

Then again a quick call to support could move things along.