New to Flite Test need help deciding first build plane.

Ozzy

Hi guys

After being hooked on the YouTube episodes I've finally decided to try a build. However I'm not sure if I should start off with one of the mighty minis or go strait into the big builds. I am 26 from the UK and have been in the hobby since a kid, however I have only flown RTF aircraft that were easy to put together.

I am keen to get my hot glue gun in use but I have no idea what plane to start off with. Flying wise I'm a confident pilot but would like to fly something exciting but forgiving as my first build. Any suggestions out there ?

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Welcome to the forums! You've come to the right place :)

I suggest starting with the Tiny Trainer (I started on that and loved it) or the Storch (basically a bigger version). Or if you're really confident on your sticks maybe an Arrow to get into the basic techniques and then into one of the great performing warbirds like the new Mig 3 or the classic Spitfire.

So many great options!! :)

Ozzy

Thank you Rockyboy! I'm liking the idea of the storch and was even thinking about adding a bomb drop to it as seen on the review episode but that itself is another story as then flite test videos have 3 different ways of making one and that has made things even more of a hard choice to decide. As I am confident on the sticks I was thinking eaither that or the bushwhacker or the sportster. The second build will definitely be a warbird. I'm not sure which one would be the easyiest build wise as I have no experience with building however the build videos do make things looks simple enough.

Also in two minds about f22 raptor or the mini version. I can never decide between the minis or the original versions. Do you think the minis are easier to build or is it the same level of ease but faster build time ?

Ltngstrike

My very first build was the Storch speed build kit, I had absolutely no problems or issues with it as a first time build. I haven't built a warbird yet, you can see what I've built so far in my signature. None of those listed were problematic.

No matter what you choose, good luck and have fun!

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I agree with the TT and the Storch recommendations. The TT might be better suited to a smaller field and the Storch to a slightly larger field but the storch will fly calmer and easier once you have some control over your thumbs.

The TT is available as a 3 channel or a 4 channel whereas I have never seen a 3 channel Storch!

Finally the TT has a number of different configurations and alternate wings and fuselages for you to play with listed here in the forums whereas the Storch has far less modifications available for playing with the design.

P.S. HECK! Why not build both they are cheap enough!

Have fun!

daxian

Elite member
hi ozzy...
as you are already good on the sticks ,i would reccomend the bloody wonder ...(ver 3 by sponz)very robust model ,easy to build and exciting to fly ,can be tamed down to fly slow ish...or ramped up to be a fast flying combat ship ...storch would be next ...tiny trainer for relaxing flights ,as we are in the uk our foamboard is a bit heavier than the us stuff so some adjustment may be needed to balance the cog .
welcome to the forums ....and happy flying !

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I can never decide between the minis or the original versions. Do you think the minis are easier to build or is it the same level of ease but faster build time ?

The minis might take a little less time to build (less detail in some cases), a little cheaper on esc and motor, and need way less room to store. Also good at smaller flying fields. And a likely to suffer comparatively less damage in a crash due to less mass to stop.

But the trade off is the larger sized ones almost always handle better in the air and on the ground. The extra weight helps with penetration, and they are less sensitive to wind currents.

Gazoo

When imagining how the first flight of my first FT plane would go... I think that the Storch is the way to go in my opinion.

Why?
1. The Storch can fly just fine with the B or C pack
2. The air frame is large enough to compensate for heavier foam board. (keep an eye on the CG though)
3. There is more room to fiddle around inside for the electronics. Not so much room in the minis.
4. The Storch is very forgiving and graceful.
5. The construction is basic and easily done. I would avoid flaps on the first one as they really aren't needed
6. You are experienced enough so that 4 channel is going to be just fine. The Storch wants some rudder.

I was surprised at how easily my first Storch lifted off and flew so nice just needing a little trim. I thought it was a fluke but have since built 2 more and all fly so nice.

So, when I think of the most gratifying build and maiden, I think Storch.

Ozzy

When imagining how the first flight of my first FT plane would go... I think that the Storch is the way to go in my opinion.

Why?
1. The Storch can fly just fine with the B or C pack
2. The air frame is large enough to compensate for heavier foam board. (keep an eye on the CG though)
3. There is more room to fiddle around inside for the electronics. Not so much room in the minis.
4. The Storch is very forgiving and graceful.
5. The construction is basic and easily done. I would avoid flaps on the first one as they really aren't needed
6. You are experienced enough so that 4 channel is going to be just fine. The Storch wants some rudder.

I was surprised at how easily my first Storch lifted off and flew so nice just needing a little trim. I thought it was a fluke but have since built 2 more and all fly so nice.

So, when I think of the most gratifying build and maiden, I think Storch.

Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking if I built the storch I would just build without flaps however on the build video they Vaguely mention something about a why harness if you are just using aileron setup and they didn't really show how you would plug that in and set that all up. Did you have set it up with a y harness without a problem?

Ltngstrike

I used a Y harness on my Storch. Just plug in the two split connectors (top of the Y shape) one side to each aileron and the bottom lead goes to the aileron channel on the receiver. You may need to reverse the channel if they operate backwards, I didn't need to in my case. Pretty easy really and the Y harness eliminates the need for using 2 channels from the receiver.

Ozzy

I used a Y harness on my Storch. Just plug in the two split connectors (top of the Y shape) one side to each aileron and the bottom lead goes to the aileron channel on the receiver. You may need to reverse the channel if they operate backwards, I didn't need to in my case. Pretty easy really and the Y harness eliminates the need for using 2 channels from the receiver.

If I want to use flaperons does that mean I don't use the y harness? Will each aileron servo be plugged into a seperate channel on the servo? Sorry for sounding like a noob.

Ltngstrike

I haven't used flaperons yet so I'm not positive but I believe you are correct. I'm sure someone else will chime in if I'm wrong.

No worries, we are all noobs at one point. :cool:

Gazoo

If I want to use flaperons does that mean I don't use the y harness? Will each aileron servo be plugged into a seperate channel on the servo? Sorry for sounding like a noob.

I did set up flaperons. I used the aileron and flap control surface without cutting the two apart. That gives you a really big aileron. Then you put one servo on the aileron channel and the other on the aux channel. Then you need to set up your transmitter for mixed aileron/flaps.

I can't remember the specifics. I just youtubed it and found out how to on my transmitter.

Using that big of an aileron, you will need to be on the rudder in turns tho. There is a lot of adverse yaw.

Gazoo

In the end, however, I never used the flaperons. The Storch is very floaty. Also, when it is that slow with flaperons, it will tend to stall a wing on slow final if you over correct.

It probably would be more effective to use actual flaps. I just never felt that it needed it.