New to Flite Test, Need help on the Versa Wing loops and other aerobatics

Xlaxon

Hey everyone,

My name is Axel and I just started again in the hobby. I flew for maybe 5 years when I was youger all kind of planes ( Foamy high wing trainers, Depron miniplanes, Big motoglider) and a bit of helicopter. That was just when the brushless motors started to become popular in my country so most of my plane where brushed and severly underpowered ^^

I stopped for a few years but started again recently, mostly because I discovered flite test

I made a versa wing with the foam board i could find in my country and is a bit disapointed about its flying. I have it powered with a motor that is between the Power pack B and C, and a 10x4.5 prop with a power pod.

My concern is that it doesn't seem to fly so well for me. Mostly because i can't make it do a basic loop. I have tried quite a few time and everytime the wing reachs the top and break the loop by dropping one wing while inverted. Inverted is really unstable and rolls are also not so good as they are not smooth and the plane ends its rotation going heavly downward. As for general flying the plane goes ok but not has fast and manoeuvrable as i would think.

I can't find why this is. I have tried CG way nose heavy and up to the marked point on the plans and it does not change the plane flying caracteristics so much. I don't now if it can be because my foam is too heavy. My versa completed with everything exept the battery weighs 500g. is i too much ? I have use something called "carboard feather" which looks a lot like foam board but is probably heavier.

Does anyone have the same problem ? What may be the cause of this kind of stuff ?

PS: sorry about my english, I am French :p

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Hey Xlaxon, Welcome to the forum!

By "dropping one wing" do you mean the same wing every time, or randomly one or the other? Does it look like it's slowly leaning into a corkscrew (rolls as you pitch) or is it a sudden drop?

If it's all sudden and random (best matches your description), you're probably stalling at/near the top of the loop. You need more airspeed/power, and you may need to make your loop wider (loosing speed to drag from changing directions too quickly in a tight loop). Your AUW of 500g isn't impossibly high, but it will increase the stall speed, which will mean you need more speed for any aerobatics.

If it's consistent and/or gradual, does your roll-trim change as you pick up airspeed? Trim change with throttle? (those two are not the same thing) The first is likely a CG issue, for which flying wings are very sensitive to. The second is an issue with thrust angle.

Xlaxon

Hey Craftydan !
First thanks a lot for your help !

I'm not really sure about your questions,I will check next time I can fly (probably tomorow). From what I remember it was always on the same wing but I will test it next time.
I have rechecked the COG and realised it was a bit too nose heavy so I am gonna change that and test it too but I'm always worried about being tail heavy ^^.
I will try to make wider loops also since i mostly tried very steep ones because I didn't wanted to stall but your right it is probably better to make it a bit wider to be more aerodynamic.

I will keep you posted on my next investigations, thanks again ;)

By the way, do you know what the weight of a power pod versa wing without battery is supposed to be if you make it with dollar tree foam ? I'm considering shifting to something else foam wise but I would like to know if their is a big weigh difference.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
For typical weight, No I don't. There's too many mods and options for that to be very consistent.

BTW, I see you're using the pod as opposed to the simpler firewall mount -- Are you flying tractor or pusher?

Xlaxon

Hey !

So their was a little wind today but i still managed to fly and I think I have figured it out. After trying a few different spots of CG (surprisingly the one fitting my wing the best is way ahead of the one on the plan) I seem to have understood why it behaved so badly. I first flew the wing with a 2 cell 1700mAh, then I put a 3 cell 2200mAh and realised that it flew better (but still not that good) so I think that my wing is underpowered. With this setup I managed to make some very lazy loops, but still stall and fall like a leaf on more agressives ones.

Does that seem logical for you ? For now I have been running tractor with a 2212 1000KV motor (this one http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Gool..._2&btsid=03f3f174-fa9f-41fe-a55e-8afe6027426f)

, a 10*4.5 prop and this 3S pack. Do you think changing for the Flite Test Pack C motor will give it the power it needs ? Also is it possible that converting it into a pusher will give it more power ?