New to FliteTest and RC planes!

nymtber

As the title says, I'm new here, and new to RC flying, at least actual flight. I scratch-built a flite test tiny trainer and had a maiden flight on Easter, crashed a TON with the trainer wing, built the sport wing and flew today till it got too breezy (10mph+ gusts). The sport wing, for me, is 10x easier to fly, as I've been using RealFlight 3.5 for many years now, off and on (a bit more as of late). Ailerons help correct roll as its rarely calm here, and definitely saved my butt on a few wind gusts!

My plane consists of: DTFB, FT radial 1806 motor (Great little motor!), HQ prop 6x3 props, BLHeli 12A esc, 3s 850mah lipo's, FT 5g servos for rudder/elevator, and amazon 9g servos in the sport wing. Controlled with a FlySky I6x radio system, fits my short fingers well, and at the ranges I fly at...no issues! I run a Lipo alarm during flight, though I probably had near 20 minutes of flite time and was only down to 11.4V! 50% throttle keeps it moving through the air very nicely, full throttle, well lets just say I won't get bored with this plane too soon! Probably should have a 2s battery, might order one eventually.

I'm surprised at how hard this plane can be nose-dived into the ground and not require repair (other than breaking props, that is). I was initially going to buy one of the many planes with SAFE, but this is teaching me to actually fly and respond to wind or what not and not rely on a button to fix my mistakes. Besides, I've only broken $4 worth of props so far, my Traxxas Stampede I've broken probably $20-30 in parts crashing into trees, and RC cars are a smoother learning curve!

OK, enough rambling. I look forward to many more FT builds, will definitely buy some speed build kits too. I now eagerly wait for the next calm day that I have time to fly! :) I also keep in shape with road cycling, which is my #1 priority in life during the nicer months...

Headbang

Master member
Welcome to the forums! Trying wrap my head around a priority higher then rc flight.... little smoke coming out my ears....

Good to have you here!

nymtber

Ha! I lost 65lbs 4 years ago or so, staying in shape and healthy kinda has to be #1 priority in life, I don't wanna return to my former self!

But honestly have too many hobbies. ;)

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums.
I agree, don’t fear flying with ailerons. They are like any other control surface, they can be set to mild or wild. It all depends on how much throw you have, a litter or a lot.

Last edited:

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
Just adding my welcome to the others. If you already feel that 4ch is more comfortable than 3ch than you have managed to completely skip one of the hurdles of learning to fly RC! It sounds like you've got many successful flights ahead of you. Welcome to the Forum Family @nymtber!

nymtber

Just adding my welcome to the others. If you already feel that 4ch is more comfortable than 3ch than you have managed to completely skip one of the hurdles of learning to fly RC! It sounds like you've got many successful flights ahead of you. Welcome to the Forum Family @nymtber!

I've been "flying" with Realflight for years now, 4ch just makes more sense to me. ACTUAL flying is a lot easier, thanks to having depth of field, and I actually use rudder more in real flying than on the sim.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I'm debating what my next build will be, probably something with landing gear :) But the forcast here looks rainy and not too calm, so who knows when I'll get out again :(

kdobson83

I've been "flying" with Realflight for years now, 4ch just makes more sense to me. ACTUAL flying is a lot easier, thanks to having depth of field, and I actually use rudder more in real flying than on the sim.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I'm debating what my next build will be, probably something with landing gear :) But the forcast here looks rainy and not too calm, so who knows when I'll get out again :(
Yeah, it's rainy and windy here too. Something fun to do during these down times, build more planes! 😋 Time to build yourself a Spitfire or a Mustang. I was scared of my mustang a little but it flew super docile, even more so for the Spitfire. They are basically warbird trainers. Plus, bigger flys better. They will handle your wind a little more too. Get yourself some oil based minwax or some spray paint sealer and waterproof your foam, that way wet grass won't stop you from flying.
Anyway, I use my down time to either build more planes, or research build/flying techniques.
What part of the world do you fly out of?
Welcome to the addiction! 😉

Javiester

Elite member
Congratulations friend, I'm having better results with the FT FLYER although I'm still trying to fly the TT well but I have too much damage
however with the FLYER, although I have not had any soft landing I have not had to rebuild it yet
in the simulator everything goes perfect including the war birds
I do not give up

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
If it's rainy out, I have my Inductrix Switch Air and my Tinywhoops that I fly indoors. :) The Switch Air is a weird combo of flying wing and quadcopter, allowing vertical takeoff and landing, and it flies a lot like a plane. The TinyWhoop is fun to use FPV and chase the cats with, plus I get to bone up on using the left stick more than I do with flying fixed wing planes.

basslord1124

Master member
Welcome aboard! Yeah the durability of DTFB Flitetest planes are amazing. I have had some hard hits and the damage is still minimal.

nymtber

Thanks all!

Also when I get free time I need to design and print some BBQ skewer supports with fusion 360 and my Ender 3 printer. The foam board kind of deforms around the skewers!

Actually the weekend looks like evenings might be calm enough, I'll perhaps get out to the local park and put 2 batteries through it :) Probably get 20 minutes flight time, so maybe I'll have my brother come along, we can play some disc golf, too. It's pretty wet there, but the disc golf course is on the higher ground, at least. There is a TON of area to fly planes, should take the RC crawler, too...