Help! New to flying and would like to kindly ask for opinions:)

Dan670

Greetings,

I am new to this hobby and recently purchased a FT Millennium Flerken value bundle with 1 3c 2200mah Lipo battery and a Flysky I6 Transmitter and Receiver. When flying my plane I keep crashing or get really short flight times..before crashing again. This is probably my fault as looking closer to the plane, I see a couple issues with the flaps and other parts of the plane when I built it. The plane itself looks like it probably can not fly anymore and I noticed the battery seems bent with some plastic coming off and small punctures.

I am now planning to build another plane from scratch with foam boards (the simple cub since it is expensive to order and I am currently on a budget) and I am wondering if the combination of the parts from the Flerken will work with the Simple Cub. Here are the parts I currently have:
FT 2207 2400kv
FT 25amp w/ xt60
2 – FT 9g
HQ 6x4.5 CW & CCW Props.
Any thoughts?

I really want to continue in this hobbie and I do hope with the simple cub I will have a relatively easier time than with the Flerken. Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Best,
Dan

luvmy40

Elite member
I would recommend the Tiny Trainer, 3 channel. Or the DR1, 3 channel. either on a 2 or 3 S battery. Both are easy to learn on.The Tiny Trainer is capable of moving up to 4 channel when you are ready.

The Mini Scout would also be a great palce to start.

RossFPV

Greetings,

I am new to this hobby and recently purchased a FT Millennium Flerken value bundle with 1 3c 2200mah Lipo battery and a Flysky I6 Transmitter and Receiver. When flying my plane I keep crashing or get really short flight times..before crashing again. This is probably my fault as looking closer to the plane, I see a couple issues with the flaps and other parts of the plane when I built it. The plane itself looks like it probably can not fly anymore and I noticed the battery seems bent with some plastic coming off and small punctures.

I am now planning to build another plane from scratch with foam boards (the simple cub since it is expensive to order and I am currently on a budget) and I am wondering if the combination of the parts from the Flerken will work with the Simple Cub. Here are the parts I currently have:
FT 2207 2400kv
FT 25amp w/ xt60
2 – FT 9g
HQ 6x4.5 CW & CCW Props.
Any thoughts?

I really want to continue in this hobbie and I do hope with the simple cub I will have a relatively easier time than with the Flerken. Thank you so much for your help in advance!

Best,
Dan
The crashes might be because its a high speed, pilot skill level 3 so it is not for beginners. The simple cub wont work with those electronics but the tiny trainer is a great first plane and there a alot of people on the forums with experience with it so it would be easy to find answers to any questions about it. The battery might be damaged to the point were its no longer safe to use but a picture would be really useful for getting opinions for whether or not its still safe.

luvmy40

Elite member
The crashes might be because its a high speed, pilot skill level 3 so it is not for beginners. The simple cub wont work with those electronics but the tiny trainer is a great first plane and there a alot of people on the forums with experience with it so it would be easy to find answers to any questions about it. The battery might be damaged to the point were its no longer safe to use but a picture would be really useful for getting opinions for whether or not its still safe.
I have 3 Flerkins built, but haven't had the cajones to fly any of them yet. I'm still ecstatic when I bring home the TT, Scout or DR1 home in one piece!

Dan670

Greetings guys,

Thank you so much for responding!

I am now going to do the FT Trainer and then move on to the scout or simple cub. Will I be able to transfer the electronics from my FT Flerken to the Trainer? Here is the list once again for reference:
FT 2207 2400kv
FT 25amp w/ xt60
2 – FT 9g
HQ 6x4.5 CW & CCW Props.

I do hope to build my pilot skills to come back to the flerken one day and I do hope when I do fly the trainer it comes home with me in one piece. As for the battery I have, attached are the pictures from the battery. Thank you guys so much once again for the help!!!

Best,
Dan

Attachments

• 20230112_085401.jpg
    20230112_085401.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230112_085355.jpg
    20230112_085355.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230112_085425.jpg
    20230112_085425.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230112_085347.jpg
    20230112_085347.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230112_085514.jpg
    20230112_085514.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
It depends a little on the risk level you're willing to accept. I look and that and think... maybe. The cells are wrinkled which indicates there may be internal damage. BUT, there isn't any swelling. If none of the cells self-discharge significantly over a couple days, it's probably still good. If there is internal damage, you run the risk of a fire while it sits, and even more so every time you charge it. If you always watch the battery while charging and keep it in a fire-proof enclosure when you're not flying it, I would say maybe keep running it.
If you're not willing to follow those precautions or accept the associated risks, discharge it and recycle it.

MrClean

Damaged LiPos can be very unsafe. Keep that one out of your housing structure. Would be best to discharge it and recycle it. Seriously, get it out of your housing structure.
You can buy a Tiny Trainer kit OR download the plans and buy Dollar Tree Foam Board. It would be good to learn how to mark, cut and assemble your own. The kits make it easy and fast. Doing it yourself makes it CHEAP. 30 dollar kit or 4 bucks of foamboard.
The trainer is designed to fly at a lower speed and be slightly self correcting. If you add a stabilizing receiver? But I don't know how easy those are to set up if you haven't done it before. I do know the Bind and Fly airplane I have with AS3X on it make flying in the gusts around my house really easy. Its on an airplane that doesn't way much more then some dry leaves yet it tracks like it's on rails. But the trainer has it's own stabilization in aerodynamics and its basically a smaller, powered glider and I taught myself to fly those back in 78. Spring is coming, lots of building and flying time before a fun summer of flying. You picked a good time to start.

Dan670

Greetings everyone,

Thank you all so much for the tips!

I am going to place the battery outside and let it discharge until it is at a safe level to be thrown away/recycled.

I have also started on the FT Trainer and it seems to me that the electronics from the FT Millennium Flerken value bundle should work. Hopefully everything will be better this time around:).

Thank you all so much again for the tips! I really do appreciate it!

I hope you all have a great one!

Best,
Dan

danskis

Master member
Just remember to try and have fun in the build, fly crash and repeat cycle. Its fairly brutal at first so make it as easy on yourself as possible and enjoy the wins.

Foamforce

Just remember to try and have fun in the build, fly crash and repeat cycle. Its fairly brutal at first so make it as easy on yourself as possible and enjoy the wins.

Hah, this is so true. I’m just now learning and I can generally keep the plane in the air most of the time, but I had about ten trips to the airfield before I came home with an unbroken plane!

It would have been a lot easier if I’d known somebody to fly with. I made a ton of rookie mistakes that somebody could have pointed out and saved me a lot of grief. Dan, where are you at? Maybe somebody here is in your area.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...I had about ten trips to the airfield before I came home with an unbroken plane!...
Sounds like you were true to the FT moto:
Build, Fly, Crash, Repeat

We have all been there
Code:
 .-------------------.              ___
( Have we landed yet? )            /  /]
`-------------.   ,-'            /  / ]
                \ |      _____,. '  /__]
             )   \|   ,-'             _>
               (  ` _/  G-BUMR   ,. '`
              )    / |     _,. '`
              (   /. /    |
               ) ,  /`  ./
              (  \_/   //_ _
               ) /    //  (_)
             _,~'#   (/.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~#~~#~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited:

Dan670

Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your information!

I am looking forward to finishing the FT Trainer and getting the new battery in for a flight later this month. I am not sure if you guys know where I am but I am located within the tiny chain of islands called the Northern Marianas Islands in the Pacific Region. I do hope this trainer really does last.

Thank you all again for your input and I hope you have a great one!

Best,
Dan