Help! New to Forum. Ft Egde 540 trainer?

Tdugar

Great choice on the cub over the edge! You will have much more fun learning at the correct pace. Build looks really good, good luck with the first flight :)
Thanks I'm still gonna build the edge just because I've always loved the edge 540. I'm excited with learning new things and then like you said it's at my own correct pace. I'll try to keep everything documented including the maiden flight. Thanks alot Tomsun-UK I appreciate it.

Tomsun-UK

No worries buddy! I would also add, an FT 3D might be a good step before the Edge. I have made an FT 3D in the past and with correct power system it really is fully 3D plane. I agree, the Edge is so good looking, I will defo make one soon also - But be prepared to crash it trying to fly it to its full :p

mayan

Legendary member
Thanks bud I had no idea that it was heavier. This is my first ever building a plane out of foamboard. I hope it doesn't bite me in butt. Thanks for that information Mayan now I'm like ohhhh crap I have 21 sheets of this stuff lol lmao 😳😳😳🙁🙁🙁
It’s all good I used black FB on my Edge and it flew ok. I had it on other builds as well that flew well the Simple/Mini Scout and a TT. Don’t fear from it just try to build light.

mayan

Legendary member
No worries buddy! I would also add, an FT 3D might be a good step before the Edge. I have made an FT 3D in the past and with correct power system it really is fully 3D plane. I agree, the Edge is so good looking, I will defo make one soon also - But be prepared to crash it trying to fly it to its full :p
There are ways to make it a more stable flyer just use the closest hole on the servo arm to the gear and the outer hole on the control horn, that will limit the deflection making it easier to handle. That’s how I learned to fly the Edge 540.

Tdugar

Exactly I was gonna just build it then build up the skill and courage to fly it I want to get good with this building process. It's pretty exciting to take flat foamboard and transform it into a plane its absolutely awesome.

Tdugar

It’s all good I used black FB on my Edge and it flew ok. I had it on other builds as well that flew well the Simple/Mini Scout and a TT. Don’t fear from it just try to build light.
I'll have to get some white foamboard so I can mix it up some.

Tdugar

I'll have to get some white foamboard so I can mix it up some.
I was gonna build the tiny trainer but opted with the simple cub. I'm again trying to up my build IQ so I can tackle the corsair that plane is amazing

Tdugar

There are ways to make it a more stable flyer just use the closest hole on the servo arm to the gear and the outer hole on the control horn, that will limit the deflection making it easier to handle. That’s how I learned to fly the Edge 540.
I know this sounds crazy but I dont really want to fly the the edge as a 3d plane even though that's exactly what it is smh. I just love the look of the 540. I'll probably build that next but like I mentioned before I wont install the power pod for it until I get ample practice flying. It's kinda intimidating but I want to have fun with my daughters because they're excited to even see how far I've come only thing they saw was flat sheets of foam lol.

FDS

Elite member
With large, high deflection control surfaces and a mid mounted wing, coupled with tons of power it’s pretty hard NOT to fly it 3d, wether you mean to or not!
The first battery in one it will usually fly you, not the correct way round.

Tdugar

With large, high deflection control surfaces and a mid mounted wing, coupled with tons of power it’s pretty hard NOT to fly it 3d, wether you mean to or not!
The first battery in one it will usually fly you, not the correct way round.
Wishfully thinking lol lmao I'm pretty sure I'm gonna be throwing the book at it like a mad man

basslord1124

Master member
Good choice with going with the Cub over the Edge for right now. ;) Hate for you to get frustrated after you build the Edge and end up crashing. With planes, if you are new, it's always best to start with a Cub style plane.

If you don't wanna fly the Edge as 3D then you don't have to. I know a guy who has an FT3D and he mainly just does more sport flying with it. If you grow from the 3 channel Cub, you could easily convert it 4 channel. Don't want dihedral in your wing? Then don't do that step. One of the great thing about FT planes is they are so easy to modify or set up for the style of flying that you prefer.

Tdugar

Good choice with going with the Cub over the Edge for right now. ;) Hate for you to get frustrated after you build the Edge and end up crashing. With planes, if you are new, it's always best to start with a Cub style plane.

If you don't wanna fly the Edge as 3D then you don't have to. I know a guy who has an FT3D and he mainly just does more sport flying with it. If you grow from the 3 channel Cub, you could easily convert it 4 channel. Don't want dihedral in your wing? Then don't do that step. One of the great thing about FT planes is they are so easy to modify or set up for the style of flying that you prefer.
Ok first off that picture of the simple cub rings a bell. YouTube Perky Planes and RC page. Are you the same guy?

Tdugar

Thanks basslord1124 for the information it is highly appreciated. The ft edge will be a build trophy when I build it no plans of flying it no time soon. I've got the build bug and I want multiply planes smh. The edge by far is my favorite but I want to conquer the corsair also.

basslord1124

Master member
Thanks basslord1124 for the information it is highly appreciated. The ft edge will be a build trophy when I build it no plans of flying it no time soon. I've got the build bug and I want multiply planes smh. The edge by far is my favorite but I want to conquer the corsair also.

Ah yes the build bug...highly contagious! lol. I agree that it's a good idea to build up your hangar with planes. I mean what are you gonna fly when "plane X" suffered some damage last week?

Tdugar

It's as far as I want to get with it now waiting on parts so I'm really thinking about starting on my edge In the mean time. I have plenty foam board and glue. So hyped about the cub because it's my first scratch build I dont know if it flies yet but we will find out soon enough. The maiden flight is probably gonna be a takeoff and pray I can get her down in one piece.
15621478247171023512755463677764.jpg

Attachments

• 20190702_213722.jpg
    20190702_213722.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
Last edited: