Help! New to Forum. Ft Egde 540 trainer?

Tdugar

I'm waiting on the battery and install the servos then the maiden. Landing gear and power pod completed. I'm almost done and I'm thinking about doing the ft explorer for some fpv action then I'll build my edge for sure.
15624855169701368024913626022022.jpg
20190707_033053.jpg

Tdugar

Help yourself out by adding some colours to help you see the planes orientation in flight. Some large stripes or coloured wing tips will help a lot.
FDS question what paint would you prefer. I'm scared that I'll destroy my plane painting it.

FDS

Elite member
No need to use paint. Coloured packing tape or self adhesive sign writers vinyl are cheap and work great. Some tape is a bit thin so white tape under light colours on that dark FB might be good.

Tdugar

All credit to him though, he follows this up with a Storch and gets back onto this very quickly!
Tomsun-UK That is so accurate lol at least he had fun while it lasted. I'd definitely put another motor on it and build another fuselage. I just got my servo checker and should go for a maiden Saturday. I'm super nervous.

Tomsun-UK

Tomsun-UK That is so accurate lol at least he had fun while it lasted. I'd definitely put another motor on it and build another fuselage. I just got my servo checker and should go for a maiden Saturday. I'm super nervous.
Good luck Dude :) Film it if you can, would love to see it!

Tomsun-UK

Just don’t be like the person in the video and maiden near bystanders, cars, trees, lamp posts, over concrete and fail to check wind direction!
Be sure you are in a nice open space with soft ground and plenty of room!
Yeh, that is really not very cool. Shows how much of a newby they really are. Pure luck he didn't nail someones property!

Tdugar

Yeh, that is really not very cool. Shows how much of a newby they really are. Pure luck he didn't nail someones property!
I was ducking like I was about to get hit because the people next to that minivan was not far away from the crash.

Tdugar

Just don’t be like the person in the video and maiden near bystanders, cars, trees, lamp posts, over concrete and fail to check wind direction!
Be sure you are in a nice open space with soft ground and plenty of room!
I'll have plenty room no trees no power lines but there is an irrigator on the far left but nothing I'll be worried about.

basslord1124

Master member
I watched him increase his throws in that video and sort of cringed. If I was flying the Edge for the first time, that's the last thing I would do. :eek: Beside the fact there were tons of cars and obstacles around.

Not to sound kinda mean, but it's best to get have your training wheels first (Cub style planes generally) before tackling something like the Edge. I know planes like the Edge look cool, but sometimes it's just good to start out with something a little slow paced to get your warmed up.

Tdugar

I watched him increase his throws in that video and sort of cringed. If I was flying the Edge for the first time, that's the last thing I would do. :eek: Beside the fact there were tons of cars and obstacles around.

Not to sound kinda mean, but it's best to get have your training wheels first (Cub style planes generally) before tackling something like the Edge. I know planes like the Edge look cool, but sometimes it's just good to start out with something a little slow paced to get your warmed up.
Basslord 1124 that's is exactly what I've built just need to install the servos and make another vertical stabilizer.

basslord1124

Master member
Yeah I had seen that @Tdugar. :)

I have flown the Cub, had a few issues along the way with it, but nothing that can't be fixed. The Cub does fly pretty good and is a good little intro plane.

Brett_N

The black DTFB is fine. Peel off the INSIDE paper and you save some weight. (after everything is cut, spray it with some water and the paper comes right off) I never noticed a weight difference, but I always though it was a PITA to cut straight for some reason. Always ended up with ragged edges like the paper tore instead of cut.

For building - Build a bunch of stuff - just build it to practice. Trust me. Each one gets better and better. The tiny trainer with the MUTTS conversion, or the Das Little Stick in the user generated builds are some of the best flying planes out there. Both can be converted to mid wing with not much issue. I recommend EVERYONE build a stick style plane and fly the snot out of it - they are much more aerobatic than you think, and one heck of a performance jump from a cub style. I wouldn't say "beginner" but definitely a good stepping stone to higher performance.

Now - for building.

SKIP THE HOT GLUE, especially on more intricate builds. Buy a big bottle of Titebond Wood Glue, or Elmers wood glue, and cheap scotch tape. Especially on builds with the complex alignment, having more time helps, and less burnt fingers. It's also way lighter than HG. Titebond Quick & Thick is one of my favorites. Another trick is to use wood glue as the "main" glue, and hot glue to "tack" the pieces into place. (like on a long fuselage fold, I'll wood glue the channel, then a small dab of Hot Glue at each end and maybe one in the middle...)

Any spray paint will work on DTFB but make sure you spray it on LIGHTLY, let it dry, then spray another layer LIGHTLY. If the paper gets "wet" that's when it bubbles. But colored tape works just as well. Most of my DTFB stuff doesn't last long enough that I even bother :ROFLMAO:

From a build perspective vs performance? The FT3D is way way easier to build. It's cheaper to fly on the smaller powerplant setup and has more "real 3D" capability (in my opinion!) The Edge is a handful regarding the build (way more complex than "standard" FT planes) and flies more "sport" than "3D" at least in my fingers. (The FT3D flies closer to a flat plate foamy, where the Edge flies closer to real balsa, if that makes sense?)

For what you're after? Take your time and build the Edge and hang it up? You can always build another one for what, $5 in foam when you're comfortable with the sticks....no harm no foul.

Sorry, but for anyone thinking they are going to fly a cub once or twice and then fly an FT3D or Edge and have it survive? That's almost in the same line as "I wanted to learn 3D so I bought an all balsa Precision Aerobatics 63" Katana" - it just ends - poorly. Start with somethig like the FT3D, or cheap (value hobby is my favorite but you can cut your own from DTFB) flat-plate style foamies.

Along with a Stick, I think everyone should also have one of those to fly - it REALLY improves your stick dexterity, and who cares if you crash it, just pick it up, straighten the prop and toss it up again.