Help! New to Forum. Ft Egde 540 trainer?

FDS

Elite member
@Tdugar Be careful with that, most batteries use female XT30, XT60 or XT90 which should be plugged into a Male XT30, XT60 or xt90, the banana plugs on ESC’s are for the MOTOR, the power lead is the red and black pair of wires, not the three banana plugs.
Also bigger batteries don’t necessarily equate to longer flight times, if you go too big you make a brick not a plane! I always look at the recommended sizes and ask people here what max size they have successfully flown with before ordering.

Tdugar

I think there are quite a few planes you should build before trying to fly that Edge; it’s a crazy responsive plane, and as others have mentioned, it’s not a beginner plane.

Simple Cub is great, a nice trainer to start off with; it’s a larger sized plane, which makes it a little harder to fly in a smaller area like a park or baseball field, is still great when you get it up in the air. You can see it easily (something I’ve had problems with when flying the smaller UMX/micro models), and the bigger planes tend to be a little more stable in the air.

I would throw out a Versa Wing as a fun build as well; they’re quick and easy to build, only require 2 sheets of foam, and a lot of people use them for flying combat and pylon racing, so you can still utilize it for multiple things after you’ve mastered it. And, they are pretty hardy. 😁
My edge is gonna be a hanging queen for a while I've already built the simple cub but had a esc mishap I got replacement yesterday so hopefully Saturday will be the maiden. I definitely agree with you when you say the edge is a totally different monster. I absolutely love how she looks. Sprzout I really appreciate you taking time to input on the subject its greatly appreciated.

Tdugar

@Tdugar Be careful with that, most batteries use female XT30, XT60 or XT90 which should be plugged into a Male XT30, XT60 or xt90, the banana plugs on ESC’s are for the MOTOR, the power lead is the red and black pair of wires, not the three banana plugs.
Also bigger batteries don’t necessarily equate to longer flight times, if you go too big you make a brick not a plane! I always look at the recommended sizes and ask people here what max size they have successfully flown with before ordering.
No I didnt plug the motor to the battery lol lmao. The bigger battery I have has banana clips for the power leads so you can swap out to different connectors. The cables were reverse unbeknownst to me and up in smoke she went very embarrassing.

Tdugar

There she is I'm just again so surprised how big she is. In very proud I got her to the state. I appreciate everyone's input. She will not see the skies no time soon.
20190716_050844.jpg

Tdugar

@FDS it was a very stupid mistake on my part and I definately learned from my mistakes. The battery is a 3s 1500 lipo burned up the 20 amp esc now I have 30 amp esc now since it came as a set of 2 and that's what I gonna run in the edge

Reactions: FDS

FDS

Elite member
I like fixed plug lipos for that reason! Less chance of setting stuff on fire. A smoke stopper is a useful tool too.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
I like fixed plug lipos for that reason! Less chance of setting stuff on fire. A smoke stopper is a useful tool too.

I like the Venom batteries that have been marketed lately...They're a couple bucks more than the Turnigy batteries, but they come with adapters for the most common battery connectors, so you can connect for Deans, XT60, or EC3...

Tdugar

I like the Venom batteries that have been marketed lately...They're a couple bucks more than the Turnigy batteries, but they come with adapters for the most common battery connectors, so you can connect for Deans, XT60, or EC3...
I'll have to look into that

Tdugar

I've finally finished the simple cub but I havent been feeling well lately. The edge is also finished and hanging nicely now I'm building a spear but I'm gonna make a it with an experimental nose that I want to see. I'll have pictures so I can get some input from you guys.

PoorManRC

Master member
I know this sounds crazy but I dont really want to fly the the edge as a 3d plane even though that's exactly what it is smh. I just love the look of the 540. I'll probably build that next but like I mentioned before I wont install the power pod for it until I get ample practice flying. It's kinda intimidating but I want to have fun with my daughters because they're excited to even see how far I've come only thing they saw was flat sheets of foam lol.
I feel the EXACT same way! I love the way she looks, and have never done any 3D Flying in my life.

My thoughts on it... Clip the Control Surfaces a little smaller, cut the length of the Ailerons by 1/3 to 1/2. (If you have enough Foam, maybe try it a little at a time until you have the smooth Flyer that you want) ;)
Like @basslord1124 said, these are MADE to be modified. Have FUN!!

BTW, she looks HOT!!!

Tdugar

I feel the EXACT same way! I love the way she looks, and have never done any 3D Flying in my life.

My thoughts on it... Clip the Control Surfaces a little smaller, cut the length of the Ailerons by 1/3 to 1/2. (If you have enough Foam, maybe try it a little at a time until you have the smooth Flyer that you want) ;)
Like @basslord1124 said, these are MADE to be modified. Have FUN!!

BTW, she looks HOT!!!
PoorManRC thanks for your feedback that's what I plan to do. She indeed looks amazing. Again I appreciate your input it is valued big time.

PoorManRC

Master member
Always glad to help when I can! When I can afford one, I'm pretty much doing that, an a couple of more tweaks.

A "B Size" Motor and a 1045 Prop on 3S, should also help tame her... ;)

Tdugar

Always glad to help when I can! When I can afford one, I'm pretty much doing that, an a couple of more tweaks.

A "B Size" Motor and a 1045 Prop on 3S, should also help tame her... ;)
I'm soaking up this information like a sponge. I have 10x5 3s with a emax 2215 1100kv motor on it and it pulls out my hand easily. Thunderous power. Ill

Tdugar

My third build will be a modified ft spear and then the ft x29 lol the x29 will join the edge and hang for a while but I want to challenge myself with the x29 build

PoorManRC

Master member
The X-29 always baffled me! Back then, my Dad did work at Edwards while that was being tested. It REQUIRED so much high tech Avionics JUST TO FLY in a straight line it was staggering!

And then FT goes and designs one that runs off of a PUSHER PROPELLER!!! :eek::eek::unsure:

Forget Engineering School Son, build Foamies!

Tdugar

Sorry guy I've been so busy lately I havent even finished my spear yet still havent maiden the cub yet the edge is done and hanging around planes for the x29 are printed and ready to go. Now I'm stuck on the world of Ben Harber and his planes F4 phantom or F16 is the ones I want to tackle my building skills are so improved