New to forum, not to Flite Test!

professor

I've been building FT planes for about 5 years now, figured it was time to jump in to the forums. I have the distinct privilege of having access to Flite Test planes as part of the college degree I teach at LeTourneau University in Longview, TX. I've been working in UAS for about 10 years, teaching at the collegiate level for 5. We've tried the Tiny Trainer before, but this past spring the "Intro to UAS" class built Explorers - 100% of them had successful maiden flights and all eventually passed an AMA-style practical test flight. That experience builds into flying professional fixed-wing UAS via autopilot, but everyone starts with the raw ability to hand fly a fixed-wing airplane, and what better way to learn about RC than through assembling it yourself!

Personally I've really only built from kits. My favorite to fly so far have been the Storch, the Scout, and the P40. I've modified a couple FT kits to be more "scale" - I built a more scale-looking FT Bronco after the Bronco Demo Team and I'm currently tweaking the FT P40 kit just a bit. HobbyKing rotating retracts are on the way, I have limited experience with retractable gear so this is a great way to learn. I'm now getting into some plan airplanes - the rcFoamFighters F-117 and MiniacRC P-40 are on the build table right now.

IcedStorm777

I've been building FT planes for about 5 years now, figured it was time to jump in to the forums. I have the distinct privilege of having access to Flite Test planes as part of the college degree I teach at LeTourneau University in Longview, TX. I've been working in UAS for about 10 years, teaching at the collegiate level for 5. We've tried the Tiny Trainer before, but this past spring the "Intro to UAS" class built Explorers - 100% of them had successful maiden flights and all eventually passed an AMA-style practical test flight. That experience builds into flying professional fixed-wing UAS via autopilot, but everyone starts with the raw ability to hand fly a fixed-wing airplane, and what better way to learn about RC than through assembling it yourself!

Personally I've really only built from kits. My favorite to fly so far have been the Storch, the Scout, and the P40. I've modified a couple FT kits to be more "scale" - I built a more scale-looking FT Bronco after the Bronco Demo Team and I'm currently tweaking the FT P40 kit just a bit. HobbyKing rotating retracts are on the way, I have limited experience with retractable gear so this is a great way to learn. I'm now getting into some plan airplanes - the rcFoamFighters F-117 and MiniacRC P-40 are on the build table right now.

Ok so this is really weird but i am thinking about going to LeTourneau for college. How is there aerospace/pilot program. Do you like it? Do you think it is a good college? What do you think they look for most when attempting to get into Letourneau.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome, sir! We are one big happy family here, and have an overflow of information (and opinions, which you are welcome to take to heart or toss aside, as many of us know they're just opinions LOL). Feel free to throw out questions, regale in flight stories (good and bad - there's always a lesson to be learned if it's bad, or maybe a helpful tip that comes out of your crash that someone else experienced and remedied!), and generally enjoy life here. :)

professor

Ok so this is really weird but i am thinking about going to LeTourneau for college. How is there aerospace/pilot program. Do you like it? Do you think it is a good college? What do you think they look for most when attempting to get into Letourneau.

There are a lot of great aviation universities out there and they all do things a bit differently - I am a graduate of the LeTourneau pilot/maintenance degree program and there was always an emphasis on the fundamentals. That served me well after I graduated and went into aviation as a career. As to whether I like it - I love it! It's amazing to work with so many students who are motivated to succeed, and it's great to see the process they go through to graduate and become successful professionals. Check out the website and apply if you're interested!

professor

Welcome to the forums! :D

So how about some pictures of what's on the workbench? :unsure:

Welcome to the family, also looking forward to see what you are working on :).

As requested- here's the P-40 as of the maiden flight a couple of weeks ago.
Screen Shot 2019-05-27 at 9.30.43 PM.png
I'll get some project pics up soon!