Help! New to fpv

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Hey guys, Pilot Blocker here, I've been flying fixed wing fpv for about a month or so now and Im just getting into wanting an osd on my dragonfly MkII (https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/dragonfly-mkii.64944/#post-598934). What do you guys think would be the best solution to get an osd with this setup?
IMG_20200911_002016030.jpg

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Really depends on how much info you want on screen. Me personally, i keep it to a minimum. Thats what i like about using my runcam cameras, they display time and voltage and thats all i usually need. If i want more it would be on something larger anyway so i use pixhawk and all my telem can be on my laptop or phone so i still have an unclutterd and usable FPV video...

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
I was looking to have my battery voltage artificial horizon and speed. So far I haven't found any on screen displays that provide all of those features yet.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I find artificial horizons to be almost useless, but voltage and speed are certainly nice. Voltage is easy, speed is a bit more complex. You need something with GPS and if youre going that far, For any serious dedicated FPV craft, id look into getting a flight controller. This is a whole new topic but i would suggest one that can run ardupilot.

If all you want to do is buzz around at close to med range id say just go with a runcam that displays voltage and time and keep it simple. If you're looking to get to the next level adventure id get a flight controller. From there your options to transmit telemetry data are endless.

In fact, id suggest that even in a simple park flier FPV setup id go with at least a ZOHD kopilot lite and not worry about telemetry yet. Its a nice bit of security to be able to go into stabilize mode when you need to and the RTH feature can really save your bacon!

Check out the 2:10 mark for the ZOHD plane and 9:30 for a plane running pixhawk:

BlockerAviation

Legendary member
Thanks for the help, I don't think I'm going to go the flight controler route yet. From what little experience I've had with them in my quads I can say that if everything goes right, their awesome. But if you have something in the settings wrong and you don't know what your doing they can be a pain. I'll probably be getting a runcam with a voltage and time overlay now. Thanks again!

Hondo76251

Legendary member
I did some wild stuff with long range FPV back in the day before i ever messed with a flight controller. Im a bit of a luddite when it comes to computers, if i can do it anyone can! Lol

I have a bunch of sub 250 fpv stuff that i bonsai through trees with and thats a blast, but for anything i intend to fly for more than 5 min at a time ill at least throw in a ZOHD kopilot. Simple install, No programming, minimal tune/setup, and being able to hit stabilize or rth when you need to scratch your nose or if you compromise your video feed for some reason is priceless. Id give it a look, if not for right away, at least as an addition in the near future. It actually is set up more easily in a plane that is already tuned and flying well before installation.

Good luck, looking forward to your build!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I find artificial horizons to be almost useless, but voltage and speed are certainly nice. Voltage is easy, speed is a bit more complex. You need something with GPS and if youre going that far, For any serious dedicated FPV craft, id look into getting a flight controller. This is a whole new topic but i would suggest one that can run ardupilot.

If all you want to do is buzz around at close to med range id say just go with a runcam that displays voltage and time and keep it simple. If you're looking to get to the next level adventure id get a flight controller. From there your options to transmit telemetry data are endless.

In fact, id suggest that even in a simple park flier FPV setup id go with at least a ZOHD kopilot lite and not worry about telemetry yet. Its a nice bit of security to be able to go into stabilize mode when you need to and the RTH feature can really save your bacon!

Check out the 2:10 mark for the ZOHD plane and 9:30 for a plane running pixhawk:

Your giggles are contagious. you sound just like a gamer friend I have played with for years except he lives in Maine. Have you tried messing with the camera settings on those run cams? when set up good they make for awesome flights. I find they tend to walk out of focus after a time with the vibrations no matter how tight you get the lock ring. Do you get that same issue?

Hondo76251

Legendary member
@PsyBorg what can i say, planes make me happy! Lol

I have messed with the settings some, not enough to have a favorite tune though. Mostly for getting optimal low light flights... im pretty hard on my gear, but not quite as bad as the quad guys! Ive never had one spin a lense yet though i have cracked one of the larger lenses.

Cant imagine how that happens... lol

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
This is why we cant have nice things...

🤣🤣
The failure to not follow my own advice and NOT lead with my face. On a bright note the "Pang" it made when it hit that steel pole support on the play set had beautiful tonal qualities and sang out loud for all to hear... Spread tha joy hehe.

The only thing that could have made it better was if it had bounced a little further and hit the plastic drum mounted to the other pole.

2jujube7

The failure to not follow my own advice and NOT lead with my face. On a bright note the "Pang" it made when it hit that steel pole support on the play set had beautiful tonal qualities and sang out loud for all to hear... Spread tha joy hehe.

The only thing that could have made it better was if it had bounced a little further and hit the plastic drum mounted to the other pole.
Haha, speaking of hitting metal poles, I hit one of the big football light poles today. My plane didn't even get a dent, I was so confused :D
;