new to muti rotor. trying to get parts to a build budget quad/tricopter.

flyguy

Hello,

I'm new to this game(i do fly helis). You guys seem to know what your talking about and thats why i came here. i'm thinking of building a tricopter (just look cool) but im going to order enough parts to switch to a quad.

First, i'll start with what i have already ordered. I order a couple different boards so i can mess around with them.

I already ordered:

Arduino Uno - R3
Arduino Pro Mini 328 - 5V/16MHz
PARIS - MultiWiiCopter aerial photography board - v4.0 LLC semi-naked (http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/sku-10)
FTDI Basic Breakout - 5V
HK Multi-Rotor Control Board V3.0
USBasp AVR Programming Device for ATMEL
OrangeRx R610 Spektrum DSM2 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver
HK 8X4R Propellers (Standard and Counter Rotating)

Second are my questions.

1.) was it worth getting the 3.0 over the 2.1 hk controller? (thought i would just future proof it for $4 more)
2.) which controller would be better arduino or the hk? (i know there are far better out there but this is what im working with)
3.) i'm not using this for any lifting or fpvm. just flying around. whats a good esc/motor combo? 25A or 30A? high or low kv motor?

i was looking at these options
Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESC
D2830-11 1000kv Brushless Motor or D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv

4.) did i buy the right PARIS Board?
5.) do you guys have any problems with the clone nintendo motion plus and nunchuck?
6.) what software do you use?
7.) where do i get the software from?

Sorry for all the questions. there will be more to come. thanks

- Joe:confused:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
1.) was it worth getting the 3.0 over the 2.1 hk controller? (thought i would just future proof it for $4 more)

Not yet. Maybe in the future there will be a firmware that will only fit on the 3.0, but so far, it's not a necessary improvement.

glydr

How many letters do we ge
Arduino Multi Wii wins over HK KK hands down, however HK KK isn't too bad and has less soldering involved.

Non genuine Nunchucks are a gamble, I found mine over ebay for not too much.

I did a budget HK KK V2.1 quad build which might be interesting to you here: http://flitetest.com/forum/showthread.php?1337-HK-Super-Mini-Quadcopter_-Build-Log

In there you'll find links to flashing KK v4.7 firmware to the 2.1 board.

The board linked looks fine for MultiWii (my MW is boardless).

For ESCs make sure you have good programming options available. I just go for the Plush ESCs as I know they work (see my build for the headaches that cheap ESCs give!).

ananas1301

Crazy flyer/crasher :D
The arduino board is by FAR better then the KK board.
The kk board only involves gyros for initial compensation.

The Multiwii components can work with much more. barometers, magnetometers, gyros and accelerometers. Thos 4 will allow you to make your quad fly hands off on same altitude and position. I will hopefully make a change over to Multiwii soon to get into some good videography because you can´t see much of the Tricopter in high altitudes.

I do suggest you go with the Multiwii stuff straight away. It has the advantage that you can work with what you have on your board and expand it with add-ons.

flyguy

Awesome keep the comments coming. what about motors? this is what confuses me the most. is a 30A esc overkill? should i go with a 25A? should i run a seperate BEC?

how easy is it to program the arduino and kk board?

with the kk board is it just because there is no upgrading to it? is it a bad board for basic flight?

Last edited:

Manfet

Well if you really want to use those props you bought the ESCs would be way overkill. But I too would advise you to take the plushs (they are also sold under other names). Normal Multirotors go with low kv about 750-1000 kv because it is easier as they are faster in responding to throttle change.
I would adivse you to get new props and a Plush 18-20A ESC and a fitting motor. A good example is this tri from David Windestål. The motor is in my opinion not the best but it is okay.
And sorry but is kinda insane to think about this project as budget tricopter/quadcopter and buying that many control boards.

flyguy

i won a $100 gift card to sparkfun. so that arduino stuff was FREE.

how does prop size translate to motor and esc size?

okay so if i go with those 18A whats a better motor to use?

i dont want some huge tri/quad. just something reasonable. just to fly around. can i use those props with a 18A?

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
That motor is pretty good, David Windestål used it on his V2 tricopter. It's not as strong as the DT750's but they're still good.

Manfet

how does prop size translate to motor and esc size?

Well it is like this.
You can estimate how much thrust a prop gives at different rotation/min.
a 800 kv will give you about 400g thrust max with your props. Calculated with this.

After that you have to look if your motor can turn the prop at this speed. Beause the motor power is limited. A small motor can't turn a big propeller on its normal speed and will overheat quickly if the ESC doesn't die before that.
And thats the last one. If you know your prop and your motor you can estimate the amount of Amps it will draw. And with that information you can choose your ESC. All that can be done with the one link. But always remember it is an estimation and if you can measure the thrust and the amps in real before flying something it is good idea to do so.

flyguy

if i use that 800kv motor with the 18A esc, what size props should i use? can it turn the 8x4.5? also, which other esc should i use because i dont think they will ever have that 18A in stock. Also, i will be using some 3s 2200 lipos(already have them for the heli).

another thing is why do they sell the 30A esc with the naza 450 kit if its overkill?

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
if i use that 800kv motor with the 18A esc, what size props should i use? can it turn the 8x4.5? also, which other esc should i use because i dont think they will ever have that 18A in stock. Also, i will be using some 3s 2200 lipos(already have them for the heli).

The 18amp Plush was in stock for around 8 hours one or two days ago.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The ESC you linked to, specifically the SS series, seems to be a bit of a failure, as most comments are negative. When you get an ESC, sometimes it's better to go over your actual need, say 25 amp ESC for a 18amp motor.

And about the motor, it's a really powerful one (800gr thrust), it should work out OK.

flyguy

cool if the motor is a good choice i will pick it up. should i do 25A or 30A esc? would the 8x4.5 props work with this motor? thanks.

Last edited:

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
25amp ESC is good enough. The Turnigy Basic are in stock, I have one on my Bixler and it doesn't have any problems.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__3731__TURNIGY_Basic_25A_v3_1_Speed_Controller.html

On the prop size, most people using this motor are going with 10 inch props, around 10x3.8, 10x4, 10x6.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...7_254x119_5mm_w_Adapters_Black_5pcs_bag_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._8_254x96_5mm_w_Adapters_Black_5pcs_set_.html

For multicopters, slowfly or reduction drive (curved edge) props seem to be preferred over direct drive props (straight edge).