New to prop mounting on Bat Bone.. need help

jdjuggler

Bat bone, tricopter setup. I have 8x4.5 and Turnigy 2730-1300 motors. Mounting props on with the insert, the shaft is not long enough for the collet mount on top.
The last pic (bottom right) is the prop on with no insert. The prop goes all the way down, does not fit tight. Collet mount can be attached, but the prop is loose (not right).
I tried the prop adapter (rubber ring), that didn't seem to help - prop were still loose - wiggled when spun up.
Can someone assist me with the right way to get these mounted?
Thanks
JD
2013-07-08 21.44.38.jpg 2013-07-08 21.45.24.jpg 2013-07-08 21.46.05.jpg 2013-07-08 21.50.51.jpg

jdjuggler

Having some more difficulty. I did mount the props as you suggested, but they occasionally come loose off the the collet. (very little flying time). The prop stays on only because of the o-ring. But, of course it does not operate well at that point. Here a pic. It's difficult to see but, the prop is crooked and up off the collet. Any ideas?
Thanks,
JD
2013-07-09 23.37.28.jpg

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
With some of the prop savers (what this type of mount is called) one side of the protruding nipple is a little smaller than the other. If you flip the collet, does the prop sit down against the collar where the screws are?

Just as a side note, I'm not sure about using the prop saver type of mount for a multi...anyone used them successfully?

Something like this or this might be better suited for your needs. You might break more props if you crash but they need to be mounted more solidly than prop savers can do it. At least, that's my experience, but I do use bigger motors....rrrrrr, rrrrrrr, rrrrrrrr.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

I've been told (by FM) that prop savers are not the thing to use on multirotors. I can see where a prop saver can be a problem with the frequent speed changes that occur with multi rotors. Unfortunately, my motors came with prop savers.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
All is not lost. Collet adapters are available! See my post above for a couple links to some goodies! Of course, if your motor shafts are a different size, adjust to taste.

earthsciteach

Just had another thought, as well. You can buy o-rings at any hardware store. You may be able to find stronger ones that will hold the props on more securely. Worth a try while the prop adapters are in transit.

aiidanwings

Just had another thought, as well. You can buy o-rings at any hardware store. You may be able to find stronger ones that will hold the props on more securely. Worth a try while the prop adapters are in transit.

Latex tubing cut into rings is nearly indestructible and has a more secure hold than o-rings. The one in my photo is 1/4 id (I think?) It was a pain to install but well worth the effort.

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
Prop Savers are for Planes. Buy collet adapters or prop adapters with grub screws (blue locktite the grub screws) and be done with it!

Thurmond