New to Quadcopters... Throttle seems too sensitive?

Jai S.

Hi all,

I'm very new to Quadcopters (RC in general), and I recently bought an electrohub frame along with its respective ready to fly quads electrohub electronics kit. I'm flying on a 3000 mah 4S nanotech battery. I'm not entirely sure if it's just me, because I have nothing to compare my drone to, but it seems like the throttle on the drone is a bit too sensitive. On one of the first flights I managed to get the drone leveled out, and I let the throttle stick up about a millimeter.... the thing shot straight up at like 40mph and ended up falling from about 60ft up as I let it down a bunch to halt my ascent. Needless to say, this has left me a little scared to fly the drone, and I'm not quite sure how to proceed.

I figured that maybe I should lower the maximum throttle on my multiwii controller? Or should I buy a 3S battery for a slightly more docile experience? I realize now that maybe I should have gone with a slightly smaller drone than this to learn with, but alas, I did not.

Thank you in advance for any advice that you all can offer!

P.S.- I have not calibrated my ESC's as ready to fly quads told me I did not need to, as these are preconfigured for my setup...

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
I don't have that particular model, but I would definitely recommend switching down to the 3S battery to start with, and look into programming a throttle curve into your radio if it will support that function. This can make stick movements have less change in the model response and give you a "softer stick" feel - great for learning or twitchy models.