New to RC in upstate NY

RMDC

Yeah, that's my impression, despite all the people calling it the best beginner plane in history, both here and on RCGroups. I'm considering another build anyway to take part in the FT-Build-ruary challenge (at least a little; I dunno if I can crank out four builds in a month, but one or two might work). Two planes in and I think I might like building better than flying, which should be no surprise given that I have a history in paper modeling. I might even allow myself to join the cult of the Old Fogey, just for the sake of getting enough polyhedral in the air at once that it doesn't immediately nose into the ground.

RMDC

Built myself a Versa Wing. :)

IMG_20180212_192819 (1).jpg

I'm planning on this being a beater. I've spent a lot of time over the past couple weeks in RC Desk Pilot with both the tractor and pusher Versa Wings. Cranked up the weather conditions to the please-don't-fly-in-this settings and got comfortable. Even so, I fully expect to destroy this thing. I built it for that purpose. I'm planning to use it to get comfortable flying a wing so that I can build a Spear or a BNV with the C-pack motor I still have sitting in a box. I want to have some real-world experience with wings before I put more expensive electronics in the air.

I made it a swappable tractor version for the B-pack pod that I already have. It won't have much more wind penetration than my Flyer (which I still have to patch), but that's okay.