New to rc plane

Rx7turbo287

I really don't know where to post this, I figure this is my starting point,

I m new to rc plane, recently I traded my nitro rc car for 1700mm p47 epo Plane, the plane is ready to go, have a dx6i rx, also he gave me a stock tx/rx since I didn't get the dx6i tx.
The plane is beautiful, but I never fly a plane before so I do not want to take her out yet.

The battery 6s 25c 4000mah sti fully charged. But I left it unplug

I plan on buying a plane this Friday. Gonna go with dynam planes,
I like to learn to fly and get plenty flight time before I take the big bird out, but I don't know nothing about electric planes, other watch endless video, that they make it so easy. And I know is not.

I have a few question that google
Only get me so far,

Here it. What type of plane I should get, I don't want to get something extremely easy where when I ready for my p47 it be a chanllenge, I love the warbird, and dynam got some it's just awesome but then I not sure I m ready for them, and I do not like glider,

So Cessna from dynam? Or the piper? Or something else?
I want to get the rtf planes that come with everything and charger,
What u Gus recommend, I want nothing bigger then 1400 but don't want something smaller then 1000mm,

Also what about battery charger? Will the rtf dynam plane charger (stock) can charge my 6s 25c 4000? Do I need to get another charger

Do I need a flight sim?

Also those lipo battery I heard they explode if not charge properly, I can understand just being straight dumb on charging but they talking about even 1c can make them explode? And what is 25c?

Since I not flying my p47 what should I do on my lipo for that plane? Discharge it? Leave it ? Keep it charge?

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
If this is your first plane you definitely want to start with a high wing plane. I was looking at the Dynam RC planes and I would suggest the Icanfly, then the Cessna if you have a good landing area. The tricycle landing gear is much easier to handle. Then the Super Cub PA-18. These planes are going to be much more stable for learning but will still be a lot of fun and they are all four channel so you transition easier. I know everyone is going to scream Hawk Sky, but you said you didn't like gliders and that's a powered glider. It's going to be the easiest to learn on though but it won't help you learn the characteristics that your P47 is going to have, like taking off and landing on wheels.

Do you have any pictures of your P47?

jd7792

If you take a little time to study this site you will come to realise that most of the members of this forum will recommend one of the following:
The Bixler (Not Bixler2 as that is a lot bigger) the AXN or as I have the Bananahobby Skysurfer which is actually the exact same plane as the Bixler sold buy competitors. All these cme in RTF so that sorts that for you. they are high wing, the motor is rear mounted and high mounted to reduce damage (which it does dramatically)!
I've also noticed a lot of people like the Champ or Cubs, but they don't do it for me, and I figure to start with staying away from wheels to land on when you start is a good thing!
There is SO many articles and forum entries on this site about the Bixler you just can't miss them. There is also a lot of entries on the other ones, you should read a few before you decide. Good Luck!
Stick Cam 13.JPG
Note this is a pic with a camera mount in the cockpit.

colorex

Rotor Riot!
Mentor
The plane is beautiful, but I never fly a plane before so I do not want to take her out yet.

Excellent decision.

The battery 6s 25c 4000mah sti fully charged. But I left it unplug

Good! Your battery should only be plugged in while flying.

I do not like glider

Does that include the SkySurfer posted above? It's more of a utility aircraft than a glider...

Do I need a flight sim?

It is possible to do without, but it is very very very recommended that you get one, even the simplest free ones.

Also those lipo battery I heard they explode if not charge properly, I can understand just being straight dumb on charging but they talking about even 1c can make them explode?

Yes. 1C should be fine if your battery is in good condition. It means the battery will take about 1 hour to charge. If you charge at 0.5C it will take 2 hours.

And what is 25c?

You must see the difference between charge and discharge capacity. The one I explained in the question above is the charge capacity, and the one here is discharge capacity. Discharge Capacity is usually the bigger one.

25 C means you can extract the capacity of the battery 25 times faster than the number on it. Say the battery says 5000mAh (which is the same as 5.0Ah) and 25 C. That battery can give 5 Amps (i.e. a motor that pulls 5 Amps) for an hour (milliAMPhours/AMPhours) and when you do so you are discharging it at 1 C rate. If you load it with a 10 Amp motor, it would last half an hour (roughly). If you discharge it at 25 C you would have to be using

25 C x 5.0 Ah = 125 Amps

125 Amps of current being used by a motor or something.

Here is the thing - If you exceed that rated amperage, (say, by running a motor that pulls 150 Amps when the battery can only give 125 Amps) then you won't get enough power to fly or you could even damage the battery.

So end of line, you need a higher discharge capacity than your motor wants. If you don't understand it now, don't worry. You will get it eventually.

Since I not flying my p47 what should I do on my lipo for that plane? Discharge it? Leave it ? Keep it charge?

You can keep it as it is. If you'll keep it stored for very long, and you have a fancy battery charger, you could find something called storage charge. If you have a voltmeter you could measure the voltage and run the motor on it until it's at 3.7 volts per cell (so for 6 cells it would be 22.2 volts).

Last edited:

Tritium

Amateur Extra Class K5TWM
ALWAYS use a storage charge for LiPo's. Fully charged LiPo's self destruct in as few as 6 months as evidenced by a swollen puffy battery. I found this out the hard way and had to replace several batteries.

I had been used to Li Ion (Cell Phone battery chemistry) which can be left in practically any state of charge and work fine even YEARS later. I have Li Ion batteries that are over 12 years old and going strong but they don't have as high of a discharge capacity (not as many amps out) as LiPo's do.

Thurmond

Rx7turbo287

If this is your first plane you definitely want to start with a high wing plane. I was looking at the Dynam RC planes and I would suggest the Icanfly, then the Cessna if you have a good landing area. The tricycle landing gear is much easier to handle. Then the Super Cub PA-18. These planes are going to be much more stable for learning but will still be a lot of fun and they are all four channel so you transition easier. I know everyone is going to scream Hawk Sky, but you said you didn't like gliders and that's a powered glider. It's going to be the easiest to learn on though but it won't help you learn the characteristics that your P47 is going to have, like taking off and landing on wheels.

Do you have any pictures of your P47?

the only picture i have is with her wings off, cuz the plane is huge lol, i found where it come from

http://www.bananahobby.com/super-p-47d-thunderbolt-rc-warbird-arf-75555-prd1.html

this is exact same plane i got, i think everything stock, the guy i got it from said he got new landing gear, cuz was some issue with it, idk. but i know is miss the cover that cover the wheels, idk that be too much issue or not. he said is pretty easy to fly, but have to use flaps to land it, he said it like to stall on lower speed. i pretty sure thats what he said, but hey i m new, so i could be misunderstanding him. lol

Rx7turbo287

wow, u guys r amazing!, i never have a forum (guitar/race cars/rc cars) that so helpful. ty for all your help!

not that i totally against glider, i think the one with the camera with the fpv remote is so cool!, i would love to own one, but i have to learn take off and landing with wheels, i need little bit aerobatic, so i can prepare myself for the p47.

and i have few place that i can land and take off, i live in small town in texas. alot space here

k, heres what i looking at and thinking to get see what u guys think

charger
http://www.nitroplanes.com/98p-imars-charger-6s-50w.html

idk anything about charger, i dont really care how long it take to charge, so i dont need a state of the art charger, specially the one come with a expensive price tag :(

first choice
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8938-trainer182-new-rtf-24g.html

second choice
http://www.nitroplanes.com/60a-dy8941-j3-yellow-rtf-24g.html

and battery how long of a flight time i can do on those? enough for me to learn slowly at a time? or i need to go ahead get more battery?

also most likely i will get a 1200mm warbird after l learn on trainer, before i even attempt the p47.

and wow, 6s 25c 4000mah battery is expensive!, I really need to learn to take care this battery since i will be parking my p47 for couple months :(

also one question about my p47, heres discribsion
•7 Channel Full Function Radio Controlled (Aileron,Elevator,Rudder,Throttle,Flaps,Retracts,Retract Doors)
now retract door? i thought they were automatic where u hit landing gear, and it close it self after? when i pick up the plane, and he hook it up, and hit a switch and the wheel went in, and then shortly the door close, he said theres a extra chip for the syncing, sorry i m little confuse on it. from what i remember he use a dx6i, but the plane said 7ch. still have a dx reciever in it but i dont have the transmitter.

he did give me a 8ch tx and rx from blitzrcwork, i haven't decide if i want to pull out the dx rx out of the plane or just wait for i get the dx6i transmitter.

Rx7turbo287

ohhh, and i was gonna order from hobby king, they have really good price, mainly is batteries, but i m little lost on it, r they shipping it from hong kong? i really dont want to wait that long to get my plane, lol so i was gonna go with nitroplanes.

Ak Flyer

Fly the wings off
Mentor
I think those are good choices. The cessna style plane will be easier to land but you'll have an easier time adjusting to your warbird if you learn on a tail dragger. The cub will work great.