New to Test Flight

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
Welcome Charlie. I remember the days before Radio Control, where you started your engine let it go then chased it till it landed. I also got very dizzy and sick going around in circles with control line models too (y):sick:

Charlie420

Welcome Charlie. I remember the days before Radio Control, where you started your engine let it go then chased it till it landed. I also got very dizzy and sick going around in circles with control line models too (y):sick:
Yeah, same here! I started with free flight, tried control line. Never liked it much, then got my first single channel radio.

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
My first balsa control line build
1607469784240.png

Used a Cox 049 engine

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I started with the Cox line control kits and had several. I had the first one which all I remember was white and was a pusher that ran and flew great until the line snapped and a metal fence at school ate it. 6 months for a first time toy like that wasn't a bad run I always thought. Then I got the corsair and I killed that trying to do stunts and let the lines get too slack.

After that I got this kit as my first RC plane.

Toys_Cox-RC.jpg

Knew absolutely nothing about rc planes and was impatient to go fly it. I had it all put together Christmas day and sat staring at it for weeks sitting in my room. Wore out a few sets of batteries just manipulating the control surfaces with it sitting on the floor of my bedroom.

Come February enough was enough. Snow had melted at the ball field parking lot and I was gonna go fly. I spent like two and a half hours trying to get that darn motor running good enough to be able to fly. Messed around for a long time with just blips of go... then they started getting longer. By the time I was half way thru the pint can of glow fuel it would run that tiny fuel bowl all the way start to finish.

Spent a few minutes kicking rocks and small snow piles out of the way to make a run way, fired it up and let her rip. AS I was getting it started one of the local PD had pulled into the parking lot I assume to see what trouble I was getting into on a cold day with no one else around. I got it running did a little twist of the needle valve to optimize power and let it go. It tracked perfectly straight and with a little elevator it was airborne and climbing. I was heavy handed with the rudder and it got squirrely but I managed to get it back to level and start making a flat turn to come back around on the down wind leg.

About the time I did that the cop had pulled up closer and got out of the car, reached in and keyed the mic to say he was out of the car and at that point the servos whipped around up and to the left and I couldn't do a thing. By the time he was done saying what he wanted and let the mic key go I was already well on the way to hitting the apartment building wall on the other side of the football field...

When he let go of the mic the plane leveled out just in time to go perfectly square and head on into that brick wall and smoosh into little pieces. He didn't say a word. He just got back in his car and drove off leaving me in shock and having to go pick up the remains to walk home and tell my parents.

Thus ended my RC plane career until my second year in college back in 1998 where I experimented with a rocket launched Estes twin boom rc plane. It could be launched from a pad like a rocket and controlled on the glide down, Set to circle in free flight after launch, or with the adapter could be set up with an 049 in a pusher configuration. It didnt live long enough to get to that point as managing the CG for rocket launch AND good glide characteristics was near impossible. Not sure it during the build I messed up and made it to tail heavy or what but it died a horrible death on a pile driving free fall after its best most high launch.

Then I came here to continue my failing to fly fixed wing hehe...

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I started with the Cox line control kits and had several. I had the first one which all I remember was white and was a pusher that ran and flew great until the line snapped and a metal fence at school ate it. 6 months for a first time toy like that wasn't a bad run I always thought. Then I got the corsair and I killed that trying to do stunts and let the lines get too slack.

After that I got this kit as my first RC plane.

View attachment 185739

Knew absolutely nothing about rc planes and was impatient to go fly it. I had it all put together Christmas day and sat staring at it for weeks sitting in my room. Wore out a few sets of batteries just manipulating the control surfaces with it sitting on the floor of my bedroom.

Come February enough was enough. Snow had melted at the ball field parking lot and I was gonna go fly. I spent like two and a half hours trying to get that darn motor running good enough to be able to fly. Messed around for a long time with just blips of go... then they started getting longer. By the time I was half way thru the pint can of glow fuel it would run that tiny fuel bowl all the way start to finish.

Spent a few minutes kicking rocks and small snow piles out of the way to make a run way, fired it up and let her rip. AS I was getting it started one of the local PD had pulled into the parking lot I assume to see what trouble I was getting into on a cold day with no one else around. I got it running did a little twist of the needle valve to optimize power and let it go. It tracked perfectly straight and with a little elevator it was airborne and climbing. I was heavy handed with the rudder and it got squirrely but I managed to get it back to level and start making a flat turn to come back around on the down wind leg.

About the time I did that the cop had pulled up closer and got out of the car, reached in and keyed the mic to say he was out of the car and at that point the servos whipped around up and to the left and I couldn't do a thing. By the time he was done saying what he wanted and let the mic key go I was already well on the way to hitting the apartment building wall on the other side of the football field...

When he let go of the mic the plane leveled out just in time to go perfectly square and head on into that brick wall and smoosh into little pieces. He didn't say a word. He just got back in his car and drove off leaving me in shock and having to go pick up the remains to walk home and tell my parents.

Thus ended my RC plane career until my second year in college back in 1998 where I experimented with a rocket launched Estes twin boom rc plane. It could be launched from a pad like a rocket and controlled on the glide down, Set to circle in free flight after launch, or with the adapter could be set up with an 049 in a pusher configuration. It didnt live long enough to get to that point as managing the CG for rocket launch AND good glide characteristics was near impossible. Not sure it during the build I messed up and made it to tail heavy or what but it died a horrible death on a pile driving free fall after its best most high launch.

Then I came here to continue my failing to fly fixed wing hehe...
Nice to hear someone elses experiences sad end for the cessna but give credit where credits due, to set off alone with no experience and get yourself airborne and flying on a first attempt was very accomlished (y)
My first RC flights where in a club with a trainer, no buddy leads then just quick hand swapping back and forth :LOL:

TheFlyingBrit

Legendary member
I was mostly self tought after those first few flights, I built a Golberg Electra glider and taught myself with that. Never really went back to nitro after that. In fact I had a long break and only really got back into flying 2 years ago.

mastermalpass

Elite member
I do not envy you guys with the equipment you had to use back then. Heavy, fragile and a lot of effort. Ignoring my first two storebought planes that never got off the ground, I've had a fairly easy introduction. The RC Powers Su-34 V4 could take a beating. My Dad on the other hand bought a Skyartec Cessna, took it up in far too windy conditions and for some reason pulled a loop from one story off the ground - it slammed the dirt at 45°.😂

But then for me, there was an FT Cruzer that constantly gave me trouble then snapped the fuse. A Nerdnic MiG-3 that I messed up on and built it so horribly I've never even tried to fly it. And then there was my first own plan; a Tigermoth that simply doesn't like flying:

And then, after fixing it it gave me motor issues. Then after a change of motor, it spat away its prop again and I gave up on it. Still, didn't think I could learn quite so much from one plane! 😂

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nice to hear someone elses experiences sad end for the cessna but give credit where credits due, to set off alone with no experience and get yourself airborne and flying on a first attempt was very accomlished (y)
My first RC flights where in a club with a trainer, no buddy leads then just quick hand swapping back and forth :LOL:

At that point I was VERY familiar with RC 4 channel control as all my land and water craft were on a 4 channel dual stick radio. I always had the coordination just not the "flight" knowledge. I will say that most of the saving grace for that first flight was that air frame was dialed in perfect for cg which as we all know is HUGE in the success of anything that flys. Extremely well designed for the time.

Charlie420

I do not envy you guys with the equipment you had to use back then. Heavy, fragile and a lot of effort. Ignoring my first two storebought planes that never got off the ground, I've had a fairly easy introduction. The RC Powers Su-34 V4 could take a beating. My Dad on the other hand bought a Skyartec Cessna, took it up in far too windy conditions and for some reason pulled a loop from one story off the ground - it slammed the dirt at 45°.😂

And then, after fixing it it gave me motor issues. Then after a change of motor, it spat away its prop again and I gave up on it. Still, didn't think I could learn quite so much from one plane! 😂
Yup, my first radio was single channel and had a magnet actuator that connected to the rudder. It was proportional but only barely. The actuator was designed to continually slap the rudder back and forth. To make it proportional, the electronics would reduce or increase the amount of slapping one way or the other. Basically the plane had to be perfectly trimmed in pitch with just the right amount of down thrust for slow climbing flight under power then level glide when the engine ran out of fuel. I had my first successful radio controlled flight with an Ace Dicks Dream sporting the mighty and powerful Cox 020. I think I was like 14.

Last edited:

skymaster

Elite member
Please don't remind me about control line. I PUKED like a couple of time's, and and every time I would say no more. but you can not keep a good plane down.

Charlie420

Please don't remind me about control line. I PUKED like a couple of time's, and and every time I would say no more. but you can not keep a good plane down.
Heh.. I can still remember spending hours trying to get my 049 running on an all plastic (very heavy) Cox P40 control line I got for Xmas. Fuel burning my cut fingers from so many times winding the prop with its spring starter, I finally got it running... and instantly crashed. I ended up just winging the plane around the yard (engine not running) on its lines. Which was a lot more fun!