New to the forum, first build

Avid1981

Hi, my name is Austin. I've been watching a bunch of the build videos and thought I'd give it a try. I've built in balsa before in the past. But I have never flown any of my builds. I scratch built the mighty mini corsair in black foam as that was the only foam the DT had at the time. I haven't bought the electronics yet. I have an 11 and a 5 year old boy I'm trying to entice away from the video game screens, so I think we are going to buy the trainer kit and build it together. I was surprised how easy and tricky at the same time building with foam is. But looking forward to more builds and learning to fly.

Attachments

• 20200111_095340.jpg
    20200111_095340.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200111_095349.jpg
    20200111_095349.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums. Great looking plane.

The older, square sided kits, are far eaiser to build & repair. I'd recommend the Tiny Trainer, Simple Cub, Bushwhacker, Storch or the Explorer. They all make great trainers and are easy to build & repair.

Avid1981

Pretty good build, certainly good enough to fly I expect. Only thing I can see is that you did your bevel cuts on the wrong surface for the elevator and ailerons.
Thanks. This one wont be flying. The 5 year old and I took it to the park and threw it around until it was destroyed. :) Thats why I have the bolts glued into the nose. It was just a practice to try the different techniques.

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Hello and welcome to the forums. I have the same issue with my kids trying to get them off the the gaming and do something constructive. let me know how it works out for you cuz I could use any tips to peel them off the screen. They think that friends only exist in gaming chat rooms not face to face.

Build looks good, Getting out with chuck gliders is a good way to get them interested for a while, I lose them on the building part though. The Tiny trainer is a good place to start but if you already have RC limiting skills you might want to take a look at the Simple Scout or even the Spitfire, way more fun to fly, easy to build, and can be docile warm up planes to knock the rust off the thumbs.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
Welcome, and glad to see new blood getting into the RC hobby!

Definitely practice with the experienced pilots - they'll help give you pointers and hopefully keep you from crashing. There's kind of an unofficial motto with this hobby:

"Build - Fly - Crash - Repeat!"

The nice thing with the foamboard planes is that if you crash them and they end up in pieces, it's really cheap to rebuild it, since most of the electrics are salvageable and can go into a new plane. Or, if you get tired of flying a particular plane, pull the parts out and put it into a new design! :)

skymaster

Elite member
Hello and welcome to the forums. I have the same issue with my kids trying to get them off the the gaming and do something constructive. let me know how it works out for you cuz I could use any tips to peel them off the screen. They think that friends only exist in gaming chat rooms not face to face.

Build looks good, Getting out with chuck gliders is a good way to get them interested for a while, I lose them on the building part though. The Tiny trainer is a good place to start but if you already have RC limiting skills you might want to take a look at the Simple Scout or even the Spitfire, way more fun to fly, easy to build, and can be docile warm up planes to knock the rust off the thumbs.
Looks like we all have the same mission with the kids.

buzzbomb

I know nothing!
The last simulator I was using required too many quarters! View attachment 155626
But good practice using a HUD View attachment 155625
This is still top of the line right?🤣
Oh, man, I miss those days. Everything is about "immersion" in gaming these days. It just doesn't hold a quarter compared to sitting down in one of those, with the big speakers behind your head. The world did not have enough quarters for me to play "Tron!"

Thanks for the memory. :)

K3V0

Elite member
Oh, man, I miss those days. Everything is about "immersion" in gaming these days. It just doesn't hold a quarter compared to sitting down in one of those, with the big speakers behind your head. The world did not have enough quarters for me to play "Tron!"

Thanks for the memory. :)
You got it! I never got to fly RC when I was a kid, it was way to expensive a hobby for an 8 yo to get into. (I totally agree with pop now) so the video games were the closest I got. I suppose I did build plenty of muscle memory from games like
Hellcats over the pacific
93A5CD46-21CF-4DCC-8A34-89256EC8497E.png

And rogue squadron
5E1F3F14-5EDC-4780-970C-51D2BEC7AF9A.jpeg

Flight simulator X looks fantastic but I’d rather get up early on Saturday to fly something I built these days!😁