New to the hobby and need help for a tricopter

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Pick up a 5 pack of male-male servo leads to connect between your control board and RX -- still don't know why they don't include that with the board :p

Make sure you've got bullet connectors to connect between your ESC and motor -- doesn't look like that motor comes with bullet connectors.

Think about picking up a power distribution board or harness, battery connectors to match your battery packs (XT-60's), and some spare silicone coated wire.

Also think about picking up a 3mm collet prop adapter -- the prop-saver adapter will work *if* you get something stronger/rubberier than the O-rings, but it will allow the prop to slip forward/back when you try to change the prop speed. That'll cost you just a touch of performance -- possibly more than you'd like.

zip ties and velcro straps (for the battery) you can procure locally, or add on the order.

lotsa little things that are easy to miss, but you've hit the high points.

so got some ordering done:

Hobbyking SK450 Lower PCB Main Frame 1
Nylon XT60 Connectors Male/Female (5 pairs) GENUINE 1
Turnigy Pure-Silicone Wire 14AWG (1mtr) BLACK 1
Turnigy 5mm Heat Shrink Tube - BLACK (1mtr) 1
Turnigy 5mm Heat Shrink Tube - RED (1mtr) 1
JST Male 2 pin connector set (10pcs/set) 1
JST Female 2 pin connector set (10pcs/set) 1
M3 x 20mm Nylon Screws (10pcs/bag) 1
TL-242 Thread Locker & Sealant Medium Strength 1
hexTronik 24gram Brushless Outrunner 1300kv 4
Turnigy Multistar 10 Amp Multi-rotor Brushless ESC 2-3S 4
Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 30C Lipo Pack 1
HobbyKing HK6DF 6 Channel 2.4ghz Channel Receiver 1
Prop adapter to suit 3mm motor shaft 4
3.5mm Male/Female Bullet Brushless Motor Extension Lead

Now have to order from European warehouse for all the other parts left.
I found that the motor shaft is 3mm but didnt find a collet adapter so got a normal one.

TURNIGY BESC Programming Card (EU warehouse) 1 dont really kno if i need it nw since i got multistars but still got it
8045 SF Props 2pc Standard Rotation/2 pc RH Rotation (Orange) (EU warehouse) 3
Hobbyking SK450 Glass Fiber Quadcopter Frame 450mm (EU warehouse)

Sad thing is i should of ordered the KK2 yesterday cause its now on Backorder in Europe too =(

I saw that the international warehouse has the new version which is the KK2.1. So ill get one of those if they let me add it to my order =P

yeah it changes everyday this is what i got yesterday from HK

"Yes, we can add order from your order since the status of the request is still in Print Queue. However, upon checking on our stock, your desired product Hobbyking KK2.1 Multi-rotor LCD Flight Control Board With 6050MPU And Atmel 644PA is a backorder item. Meaning, we don't have the stock yet. If you still wanted to add this, it can cause a delay in your whole order as we have to wait for this item to be available in our warehouse. Estimated time is 2-4 weeks or more."

im just gonna buy it and see what happens =P

parts are arriving =).

I dont want to open a thread for the following question i have:

I finally received my receiver so i hooked evrything up. it all works but i find that the throttle is not like how i thought it would be:

i need to push the stick at least 3/4 of the way before it vn tarts to spin... How can i change this? I mean i would like it too start up slowly as soon as i move the stick

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Does anyone know if i need to program the ESC's? they are mulistars

Program as in calibrate? Once you've got it plugged into your control board, yes.

Program as in load settings? Maybe. For multi's it's best to set the battery type to nicad, the LVC to soft cutoff and startup to the fastest setting. While you're in there, make sure the brake is turned off. Most multirotor ESCs are set up this way out of the package, but I dont' have experience with the multistars to say for sure -- read the manual for the defaults.

Program as in flash? No. It might improve performance, but so long as they're the same model ESC and you bought the set all at the same time, you shouldn't see any bad behavior out of them.

yeah program as in define the settings.

I got the parts from HK and well one out4 of the EScs just popped into smoke so i ordered another one... =( other three are working fine i guess it was just a bad one... ? i set the 4 up the same way so i dont really know what could have gone wrong when i only plugged the batterie in.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Bummer! Haven't had issues with ESC smoke, but manufacturing defects do happen from time to time. Still not cool, but not much you can do about it.

Only other thing I think that *might* have happened is reversed polarity, but if you soldered reds to red and blacks to black, it wouldn't have smoked just one.

so i got everything hooked up and it works fine... i followed the KK2 SETUP from eluminer rc video.

so the board arms etc... but when i pull on the throttle stick all motors start up at the same time, and the two back proppellers lift the back end. front ones dont seem too lift. I have all props facing with lettering up.

any ideas? i tried with self level on and off and doesnt change a thing

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
I would double check the prop rotation versus motor rotation to be sure the motors are first turning in the right direction, according to the KK2 display, and second that the props match the motor rotation once you check the motors.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
If everything else is equal, I'd suspect the props or a way off center of gravity. If the props and motors ARE correct, make sure that the copter balances directly in the middle of the motors, both front to rear and side to side.

A fast check for props being on wrong is to throttle up to just below take-off, then feel for air blowing up from the copter. If you feel air over the top, at least one of the props is on the wrong rotation.

Last edited: