New to the hobby and need help for a tricopter

soooo,

yep that was the problem... i did not have the front two spinning in the correct direction!!! i did double check them but mut of mixde them up. Anyways i got it too fly a little yesterday but i'm having another issue...

I have one motor which just stops all the time when i power it up... If i dont put a minimum of 50% throttle there is a 80% chance it will cut out and stop spinning...

I have not been able to program (The ESC's) them yet since im waiting for the multistar programming card but all the other three motors work fine ...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
soooo,

yep that was the problem... i did not have the front two spinning in the correct direction!!! i did double check them but mut of mixde them up. Anyways i got it too fly a little yesterday but i'm having another issue...

I have one motor which just stops all the time when i power it up... If i dont put a minimum of 50% throttle there is a 80% chance it will cut out and stop spinning...

I have not been able to program (The ESC's) them yet since im waiting for the multistar programming card but all the other three motors work fine ...

That's probably not a problem that will go away with the programming card -- motors aren't supposed to stop randomly. If it was all three doing it, that would be a different story, but a setup with three of the same motor/ESC should behave the same.

Have you tried interchanging the ESC and motors to see if the problem follows the motor or the ESC?

Once you've got it narrowed down to one offender, double check all the solder joints on connectors -- the random nature makes me think you've got a broken wire or a bad solder joint.

Will do i did not think about interchanging the esc's ill do that and see what happens.

Could this come from the calinrating the motors with the kk2.0 board?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
I was going to ask if you had done the KK2's calibration yet, but the whole issue of "only one" lead me to think that's not the issue. If you've run the ESC calibration through the KK2 board (holding 2 buttons while plugging it in -- sound familiar?) then that should fix problems, not make new ones.

Now, if you haven't run through the KK2 ESC calibration yet, you really need to.

i have done that yes... but apparently you have too:

1 hold down button 1 and 4
2 put throttle sitck up
3 connect battery pack

After this i should here a beep from each ESC or motor? ans then put throttle down and done...

i dont get a beep from each esc...

What i get is

4 times 1 beep
4 times 2 beeps
4 times 3 beeps

etc..

besides this, i flew it a little yesterday and was great fun. didnt go high and stayed close to ground since that one motor cuts out on its own so if im 3 meters in the air it would get damaged really bad =P but at least i can get a little flight experience and its great.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
One of the things I've noticed on mine, the ESC's do all the beeps except the last "arm" beep (where it beeps the battery count). Not quite sure why -- I'd like to imagine the KK2 is actually sending an arm/disarm command to the ESCs when I arm/disarm the copter, but other than the weird beep patterns, I have no reason to believe that (I could go look at the code, but that's more trouble than my curiosity begs ;)).

Is that motor still acting up or are you just nervous about it misbehaving?

Good to hear you're having fun with it! It's a lot of trouble if you get no air time, but completely worth it when you do take to the skys :)

that motor actually worked quite nicely with a fully charged battery now that i think about it... then it started acting up... Maybe the programming card will help to resolve the problem.

Do your ESC's beep one by one? i mean can you hear each of them beep? on mine it seems like all of the beeping comes from one ESC...

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Mine all beep in unision -- other than the slight "harmony" in the sound, the timing is too close to tell one beep from another.

You want each ESC to respond the same as it's siblings, so hearing them beep in unison is a good thing -- they're all booting up with the same boot sequence.

okay, so i checked the soldering i did and one was a bit iffy so i resoldered that part, also did the voltage link between the + on the ditribution board and the Vref hole on the back of the K 2.0 and that works aswell. =).

Powered up the motors and they all work correctly now. Guess i need to have some with this thing now =).

Craftydan, i saw you talking about a mini copter could you send me the link too that build? would love one for indoors when weather is bad

Craftydan, i saw you talking about a mini copter could you send me the link too that build? would love one for indoors when weather is bad

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
depends on which mini you mean

This mini-tri isn't that small -- small field or gymnasium, for sure, but I'd be nervous about this guy in a living room :eek: I also haven't figured out the Yaw mechanism yet (having touble getting his design to mesh with my parts-on-hand) so it's still a "work in progress". Nice design, though. Sadly it's motors were coopted for another project . . . so it'll be a while before it's up and flying . . .

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?6099-Tricopter-made-in-Austria

This nano-quad is RTF, but for the cost ($40US) it flys *really* well and I've had fun flights in 10x10' rooms (3mx3m) without fear of getting hit -- a great quad to fly inside and hone sklis. The downside -- any air conditioning currents will carry it away :p

My understanding it's being sold over in the EU under the name "Hubsan Q4", and the controler's firmware is a touch more flexable than the US version(D/R, flight modes, autoflips). That being said, the stock controler is *tiny* as well, and hard to use becasue of it, however larger sized Hubsan controlers will bind with it and aren't to hard to find under $20, if you can wait for the shipping.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?6497-PROTO-X-The-Ultimate-Whipper-Snapper

So i ended up getting rid of the multistar escs because one got really hot and stopped working plus the one i bought and never worked, i wont buy them again . Replaced them with some better brand 20amp ones and quad flies nicely =)

So i have expanded my fleet of copters to a hubsan X4 its great fun to fly indoors, a little hard to start as a beginner but the good side is that when it falls nothing get hurts =) my guess is, its so light that its own weight cant even damage it by falling =D.

I am redoing the Quadcopter since i really think i didn't do a great and clean job on the wiring... so i took everything appart and am in process of resoldering everything.

Ordered some parts too since i broke one motor, i decided to get two more and some other bits that i will probably end up using in the future.

Extended Legs for the copter

and a

camera mount

not sure i will use it for now,

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Glad you've got a good mini-quad to learn on! With the cost of those things so low, it's really cheap training, and all the orientation and throttle management skills scale up to the big guys!

Just rebuilt my V-tail for the third time over Christmas break, making some improvements. seems to be the way with these birds -- make it nice, and you just want to tweak it a little to make it nicer :)

yeah its great, though i have broken all the back rotors even the spare one lol. So i have to wait for the ordered ones to arrive =P and whats neat is that parts are so cheap too.

I think the "tinkering" aspect of things is in every hobby. My other hobby is SW reef tanks, I planned and built my tank from scratch during a year and a half. I mean i had the time to plan it perfeclty, i did what i had planned, saved up to get exactly the things i wanted even if they were the best and priciest on the market... and today i see myself constantly changing things around and seeing arh i shouldnt of done that like that its not practical etc... Then the other thing is... the new technology that you want to absolutely updgrade to lol.

As long as you take pleasure and it makes you happy keep on modifying lol