New to the hobby, looking for someone to fly with in Colorado Springs

Griz

Hi, I'm new to the community and to the hobby. I've been lurking on youtube for a couple weeks (I don't have a Facebook, Skype or twitter account) and have pretty much decided on a tiny trainer and a Flysky FSi6x transmitter & receiver. I have down loaded the plans for the LongEZ and I want to make one (a glider to start with) with my grandson. I've been interested in the LongEZ since I met a guy who was building one back in the '70s. Don't know if he ever finished it but it is a really cool plane. I want to build one as an RC at some point.
I also want to recreate a kite, a Sopwith Camel from Squadron kites, that I built when my kids were young.
It doesn't seem like it will be too difficult if I can find dimensions for the plane.
My interest in flying was ignited by a video of a presentation given by Al Bowers of NASA on why birds don't need vertical tails. He talked about a project he was leading called Prandtl-D, which was a flying wing that had NO vertical surfaces. I want to build one. So I figured if I built one I'd need to learn to fly first.
Bower's test wing is based on a Horton Glider with a Bell Shaped Load Distribution wing design.
Looking forward to learning to fly and build RC airplanes
Griz

Last edited:

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to the forums

I encourage all new pilots to look for and join a local flying club. In addition you might check out flite test groups, link at the very bottom of the page. On groups, you can search for members and clubs by location.

Regarding flying wings, if they have a swept back wing, the vertical stabilizer is not necessary. The plane will waggle but it will fly just fine.

Last edited:

Griz

Welcome to the forums

I encourage all new pilots to look for and join a local flying club. In addition you might check out flite test groups, link at the very bottom of the page. On groups, you can search for members and clubs by location.

Regarding flying wings, if they have a swept back wing, the vertical stabilizer is not necessary. The plane will waggle but it will fly just fine.

That's the exciting thing, this Bell Shaped Load Distrabution over comes adverse yaw, no waggle!
The only control surfaces are Elevons.
The wing is 22% longer, than a wing with eliptical loading. Has the same lift and lower drag. 11% more effcient!

I have located a local flying club, they're meeting this weekend at their field east of town.
I plan to attend and hopefully find a someone who has built FT planes and will be willing to mentor me.